Book ideas???

People write for lots of different reasons. I write cos I am paid (most of that is crap) and I also write cos that is just what I do (most of that is crap too). But a writer has a million stories all fighting to be heard. Often a story is going to be entertaining for no one but the writer but that doesn't mean it should not be written. Sometimes only one person likes what you write, could be a friend or wife or even a stranger. That one person makes it a success. One's excitement, one's emotions 'injected' into someone else. Communication complete.
But, my own view is that a writer who lacks ideas is not a writer. To try and write someone else's story is doomed to failure. It may be a lucrative failure as in ghost writing, but artistically it is a failure.

People write for lots of different reasons. I write cos I am paid (most of that is crap) and I also write cos that is just what I do (most of that is crap too). But a writer has a million stories all fighting to be heard. Often a story is going to be entertaining for no one but the writer but that doesn't mean it should not be written. Sometimes only one person likes what you write, could be a friend or wife or even a stranger. That one person makes it a success. One's excitement, one's emotions 'injected' into someone else. Communication complete.
But, my own view is that a writer who lacks ideas is not a writer. To try and write someone else's story is doomed to failure. It may be a lucrative failure as in ghost writing, but artistically it is a failure.

The problem is the lack of control over which story pops up when I am writing. I start on one and the best ideas for the other start flowing.

CvO9z.png

bfhmr.png
You fucking asshole Grind. I got a busted up rib. Do you know how much it hurts to laugh? You miserable little prick!

The problem is the lack of control over which story pops up when I am writing. I start on one and the best ideas for the other start flowing.

Nothing wrong with that. I keep a notebook and start dozens of stories and then something happens that leads me elsewhere. But I sometimes come back to them and do a bit more and then one day I think it might be worth taking it more seriously even to the extent of proof reading it. But different people, different methods, different turn-ons.

Nothing wrong with that. I keep a notebook and start dozens of stories and then something happens that leads me elsewhere. But I sometimes come back to them and do a bit more and then one day I think it might be worth taking it more seriously even to the extent of proof reading it. But different people, different methods, different turn-ons.

Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? It stands for Nation Novel Writing Month. My son is big into it and swears he loves where it takes him. You start with an idea on November 1st, and try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Not a polished work, but a rough draft. The idea is you just go at it for 30 days, streaming words out.

Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? It stands for Nation Novel Writing Month. My son is big into it and swears he loves where it takes him. You start with an idea on November 1st, and try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Not a polished work, but a rough draft. The idea is you just go at it for 30 days, streaming words out.

I think so. Didn't someone mention it here last year or the year before? But that is quite a commitment, 30 days... hell it's a committment to do ANYTHING in 30 days.
I used to do something similar with students. It is called a writing storm and you spend an hour or two discussing an idea and defining the characters and plot then, when everything is clear, you put your head down and spew the story onto the paper, warts and all. The result is really lively writing and students are amazed at how much they can write in say 30 minutes. But 30 days?? I don't think I have EVER had access to 30 days straight. What happens when someone invites you out or away for a few days. Too much pressure for me.

I currently have a couple of writing projects in the works, just some ideas I had always had and never got around to doing. One is about this man and his daughter who move to Florida to run an RV park, and the other is more of a sci-fi novel about humans making contact with another civilization, but the contact is made through 'spiritual' means, so it takes years for us to fully 'believe' we have made contact. This is my favorite of the two, because it is full of complications and illustrations of how society would cope with such a situation, how we would behave, our vulnerabilities, fears, etc. It's really a challenging project because it makes you really have to think. The RV Park book is more of a Hardy Boys style thing, mostly for early readers. It's funny and lighthearted, and fairly entertaining with some surprising twists. Then I have an ongoing 'shelf' project, which is mostly poems and short stories, anecdotes.. etc.

I am posting this thread to any aspiring writers or would-be writers, to discuss ideas you may have for books. Perhaps you've been published? Maybe you just have an idea for a book that you'll never write? Most of my stories are finished, as far as 'plot' goes, but even if you have a comment on those, I would love to hear it.

Please spare the world, Dixie.

I think so. Didn't someone mention it here last year or the year before? But that is quite a commitment, 30 days... hell it's a committment to do ANYTHING in 30 days.
I used to do something similar with students. It is called a writing storm and you spend an hour or two discussing an idea and defining the characters and plot then, when everything is clear, you put your head down and spew the story onto the paper, warts and all. The result is really lively writing and students are amazed at how much they can write in say 30 minutes. But 30 days?? I don't think I have EVER had access to 30 days straight. What happens when someone invites you out or away for a few days. Too much pressure for me.

I've tried it twice and never gotten beyond about 15k words. It does take a good bit of dedication. It also takes the ability to ignore the changes you know you need to make and to keep moving forward. That is where I had the most trouble.

There is actually a lot of that in this book, it has some interesting 'moral' differences which cause a major rift, and challenge our own views. We think of the prospect of discovering another civilization, and how we might become diplomatic with each other, share technologies and art, perhaps? But this story deals with a much more psychological exploration, and the fact that 'spirituality' was the key to unlocking communication with them, is very compelling. In the story, they have actually unlocked an area beyond our physics, which comprises 'spirituality' or what we've always assumed was 'spirituality' ...that's where the rub lies. The "Holy Rollers" discovered ET... but they have a spiritual understanding that is unlike anything we have ever imagined, and it sets 'organized religion' on its ear. Our world becomes completely divided over the whole thing, many people denounce the contact and others believe it is an act of God... it's really deep. But... not to give away too many details, because I will want you to buy it on Amazon... Through their advanced understandings, they believe they have devised a way to visit our planet, and the story is based around that. We've made contact, we know a lot about them, and they are very different from us, and we don't know if we can trust them, and half our planet is revolting to keep them from coming.... it's pretty good stuff, if I do say so myself.

I suppose these aliens are offended by any attempt to prove they exist, and mysteriously stop cooperating when they detect that such an attempt is underway?

I suppose these aliens are offended by any attempt to prove they exist, and mysteriously stop cooperating when they detect that such an attempt is underway?

No, but in the book, it actually takes decades for the initial 'contact' to be taken seriously because of the lack of physical proof. During that period, two distinct groups emerge, the 'believers' and 'non-believers' and of course, they vehemently clash. What is interesting, is many of the 'non-believers' are religious people, who are clinging to their dogma to the bitter end. It is actually physical scientists who continue to examine the possibility, which results in the 'contact' ultimately being confirmed. Of course, this doesn't happen until years after the death of the priest who made the initial contact. He died with the stigma of being a nutball who no one really ever believed.

Another interesting aspect, is the stark contrast in what "they" view as morality and ethics, and what we have come to know. Differences in the paths our respective species took through their evolution. Things they routinely do, appalls us to no end, we can't comprehend it because it seems so barbaric and heinous compared to our own morals and ethics. Of course, they believe their morality is fundamental and correct, while WE are the barbarians.

Back