Brainy Quotes

quote-this-is-the-real-secret-of-life-to-be-completely-engaged-with-what-you-are-doing-in-alan-watts-37-44-21.jpg

I've always known that actually.

First existentialist philosopher?

1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

Beautiful poetry, speaking of our lot as living beings. Thanks for posting this.

My late husband passed 17 years ago this month, on Valentine's Day. My Val. Day gift from him that year was a concrete yard statue of St. Francis of Assisi. St. Francis graces my garden to this day, the only Xtian saint who speaks to my soul.
That's a good way to remember him

I like Saint Francis myself!

From an old thread of mine

The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” – Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky, The House of the Dead

“Above all, do not lie to yourself. A man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point where he does not discern any truth either in himself or anywhere around him, and thus falls into disrespect towards himself and others. Not respecting anyone, he ceases to love, and having no love, he gives himself up to passions and coarse pleasures, in order to occupy and amuse himself” – Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

“Kindness. The only possible method when dealing with a living creature. You'll get nowhere with an animal if you use terror, no matter what its level of development may be. That I have maintained, do maintain and always will maintain. People who think you can use terror are quite wrong. No, no, terror is useless, whatever its colour – white, red or even brown! Terror completely paralyses the nervous system.” – Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov

“It is uncomfortable to ask condemned people about their sentences just as it is awkward to ask wealthy people why they need so much money, why they use their wealth so poorly, and why they don’t just get rid of it when they recognize that it is the cause of their unhappiness.” – Anton Pavlovich Chekhov

“In my opinion it is harmful to place important things in the hands of philanthropy, which in Russia is marked by a chance character. Nor should important matters depend on leftovers, which are never there. I would prefer that the government treasury take care of it.” – Anton Pavlovich Chekhov

Back