BREAKING NEWS... Rumsfeld being prosecuted!

Lawyers for the plaintiffs say that one of the witnesses who will testify on their behalf is former Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, the one-time commander of all U.S. military prisons in Iraq. Karpinski — who the lawyers say will be in Germany next week to publicly address her accusations in the case — has issued a written statement to accompany the legal filing, which says, in part: "It was clear the knowledge and responsibility [for what happened at Abu Ghraib] goes all the way to the top of the chain of command to the Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld ."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...557842,00.html

"the plaintiffs argue that the German prosecutor's reasoning for rejecting the previous case — that U.S. authorities were dealing with the issue — has been proven wrong. "

Now we know why bush was pushing hard to get the war crimes exemption pushed thru......
He knew they were crossing the line.

"The day before the conference, a German prosecutor announced he would not pursue the matter, saying there was no indication that U.S. authorities and courts would not deal with allegations in the complaint. "

Looks like he got off before with an all Repugnantly dominated congress. I wonder how it may turn out this time around! :)

Go Nanci! :cheer:

LOL. A lawsuit in Germany? This is Rumsfeld being prosecuted? What was it that somebody was saying about the difference in criminal law and other types?

Let's at least wait until the lawsuit actually gets his trial on...

Damo, this is a lawsuit forcing the German authorities to prosecute, in Germany that is prosecution. Clearly it would not work in the United States... but...

Using your logic, it its a court case regarding a crime, thus its a criminal case!

Damo, this is a lawsuit forcing the German authorities to prosecute, in Germany that is prosecution. Clearly it would not work in the United States... but...

Using your logic, it its a court case regarding a crime, thus its a criminal case!
No, it's more like the Impeachment proceeding in the Congress. It isn't a trial until it is an actual trial. Using my logic, once the actual prosecution gets started rather than just a lawsuit attempting to get somebody to do something... Well, then he'll be "being prosecuted".

I'll wait to see if he gets "impeached".... until then its just a lawsuit against a portion of the German government to get them to do something.

""The utter and complete failure of U.S. authorities to take any action to investigate high-level involvement in the torture program could not be clearer," says Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, a U.S.-based non-profit helping to bring the legal action in Germany. He also notes that the Military Commissions Act, a law passed by Congress earlier this year, effectively blocks prosecution in the U.S. of those involved in detention and interrogation abuses of foreigners held abroad in American custody going to back to Sept. 11, 2001. As a result, Ratner contends, the legal arguments underlying the German prosecutor's previous inaction no longer hold up. "

I think that the Germans will likely find Abu Ghraib to be outside their jurisdiction...

This would be like somebody suing the US government to try Jacque Chirac for his "culpability" in the UN Bribes for Oil program.

The problem with this if I understand it right and I think I do is that Rumsfeld cannot be presecuted if he is not taken into custody and the German's have no ability to take Rumsfeld into sustody unless he goes to Germany or some other European nation. The reason the first charges were dropped, not the ostensible reason given by the German's but the actual reason that precipitated the charges being dropped was the American threat to seek removeal of NATO headquarters from Brussels. When this was offered, the German's backed down. Now Rumsfeld may like Kissenger, who is also in the same war crimes boat, just never travel to Europe again. Now that he no longer has a high profile job that requires his travel this may be his way out!

In what way does this have anything to do with Germany? Were any of the prisoners German? Just more silly liberal bullshit.

and doesn't it just PISS YOU OFF, Gaffer, that silly liberals THUMPED your tired corrupt inept incompetent party???

... we kicked you to the curb and now all you can do is whine!

I think that the Germans will likely find Abu Ghraib to be outside their jurisdiction...

This would be like somebody suing the US government to try Jacque Chirac for his "culpability" in the UN Bribes for Oil program.

"Germany was chosen for the court filing because German law provides "universal jurisdiction" allowing for the prosecution of war crimes and related offenses that take place anywhere in the world."

Read the article!

"Germany was chosen for the court filing because German law provides "universal jurisdiction" allowing for the prosecution of war crimes and related offenses that take place anywhere in the world."

Read the article!

That's right they have universal jurisdiction, but they can't go just anywhere to arrest the person, and there's the rub.

That's right they have universal jurisdiction, but they can't go just anywhere to arrest the person, and there's the rub.

Thus the reason Rumsfeld cant/wont go to Germany. Pretty bad when your officials cant go to forign nations for fear of being arrested.

Read the article!

So let me see if I understand you correctly. You support Germany's right to prosecute someone like... say you... because you are an American citizen and therefore guilty of war crimes on the people of Iraq?

Where the hell do they get the right to declare universal jurisdiction? I am not a subject of Germany.

Immie

Germany is not alone in this kind of jurisdiction; Pinochet was arrested before he died for crimes against humanity when he was charged with these crimes in Spain even though the crimes themselves occurred in Chile. He thought that because the Chilean government had voted him immunity that he had it but he didn't and when he needed medical attention and went to England he was arrested on the Spanish warrent. I celebrated.

Back