Call It What It Is

i don't mind happy holidays...

half of my family celebrates another holiday at virtually the same time as christmas....and most people i know say it because of new years and christmas being so close together...

half of my family celebrates another holiday at virtually the same time as christmas....and most people i know say it because of new years and christmas being so close together...

The problem isn't that there is anything wrong with "Happy Holidays" it is that PC assholes have made saying Merry Christmas anathema...

December 25th IS Christmas...people have been saying Merry Christmas for a few centuries now.

BTW the word "holiday" is derived from the word "holy day".

I don't mind Happy Holidays either, but when people are forced to only say that instead of Merry Christmas, as has been said for 100's of years, I mind.

We had kids of Jewish faith that went to Catholic School with us. Their families celebrated Channukah and never batted an eye or took offense to "Merry Christmas".

I don't mind Happy Holidays either, but when people are forced to only say that instead of Merry Christmas, as has been said for 100's of years, I mind.

We had kids of Jewish faith that went to Catholic School with us. Their families celebrated Channukah and never batted an eye or took offense to "Merry Christmas".

who is being forced? and my jewish family doesn't mind merry christmas either, it is just easier for me to say happy holidays, because they are in fact holidays....

in fact, i remember when this whole thing came out, i felt like it was blown out of proportion...maybe because i come from a multi culture/belief family i grew up saying happy holidays and no one, from either family minded....i also say it because as i mentioend above, you have hannukkah, christmas and new years....so for me, it is about all those holidays

i also believe christmas has become nothing but a commercial day and to be quite honest, its roots and history are not unequivocal that it is a christian holiday in origin

The problem isn't that there is anything wrong with "Happy Holidays" it is that PC assholes have made saying Merry Christmas anathema...

December 25th IS Christmas...people have been saying Merry Christmas for a few centuries now.

BTW the word "holiday" is derived from the word "holy day".

then screw the PC assholes...if someone gets offended by that they have bigger issues than christmas

who is being forced? and my jewish family doesn't mind merry christmas either, it is just easier for me to say happy holidays, because they are in fact holidays....

in fact, i remember when this whole thing came out, i felt like it was blown out of proportion...maybe because i come from a multi culture/belief family i grew up saying happy holidays and no one, from either family minded....i also say it because as i mentioend above, you have hannukkah, christmas and new years....so for me, it is about all those holidays

i also believe christmas has become nothing but a commercial day and to be quite honest, its roots and history are not unequivocal that it is a christian holiday in origin

The force is more in business than personally. The directive employees get to say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas. My daughter is a store manager and they have been told in no uncertain terms they cannot say "Merry Christmas" any longer.

Christmas will always mean the spirit of new birth, family, and good smells and taste. A sense of wonder and childlike awe and nothing that is commercialized today can take that away from me.

Isn't this Bill O'Reilly's made up controversy? I agree with you. Most people I know who say "Happy Holiday's" are refering to the holiday season. There's no anti-christian intent there.

The force is more in business than personally. The directive employees get to say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas. My daughter is a store manager and they have been told in no uncertain terms they cannot say "Merry Christmas" any longer.

Christmas will always mean the spirit of new birth, family, and good smells and taste. A sense of wonder and childlike awe and nothing that is commercialized today can take that away from me.

So what store does your daughter manage?

Care to maybe back up your third-hand anecdotal evidence with some facts that can be verified for once?

I won't hold my breath waiting...

Isn't this Bill O'Reilly's made up controversy? I agree with you. Most people I know who say "Happy Holiday's" are refering to the holiday season. There's no anti-christian intent there.

Of course there isn't any sinister attempt to stifle Christmas.

But when have RW talking heads ever let a chance to bash liberals go to waste?

Pursuant to Title VII, private employers must make reasonable efforts to accommodate the
sincerely held religious beliefs of their employees, unless the accommodation would cause undue
hardship. Under certain circumstances, employers violate Title VII when they require their
employees to say “Seasons Greetings,” or “Happy Holidays,” or prohibit their employees from
saying “Merry Christmas.” For example, an employer must make reasonable efforts to accommodate
an employee if an employee informs the employer that (1) the employee has a sincerely held
religious belief concerning the true meaning of Christmas – that it is a celebration of the birth of
Jesus Christ – and (2) it violates the employee’s sincerely held religious beliefs to either
acknowledge other December holidays that directly conflict with the employee’s religious beliefs,
or conceal the true purpose for celebrating in December.

An employer’s mandate that employees only tell customers “Happy Holidays” will most
likely collide with the sincerely held religious beliefs of many employees. After all, December 25
is a state and national holiday, and that holiday is called “Christmas.” It is not reasonable for an
employer to mandate “Happy Holidays” when the state and national holiday is Christmas. Employers
would look foolish to tell employees to greet customers with “Happy 4th” on Memorial Day or Labor
Day.
http://www.lc.org/resources/Memo_Christmas_Employment.pdf

Back