Can a Jewish man get elected president?

Jarod

Contributor
http://tinyurl.com/jlca9

WHAT AMERICA NEEDS!

WASHINGTON - As the only senator to have voted against the Patriot Act and the only presidential hopeful to have voted against the Iraq war, Russ Feingold is sometimes tempted to say “I told you so.”

“Yeah, but I was taught it’s impolite to do that,” the Wisconsin liberal tells The Examiner in an interview. “And it also doesn’t help you get where you want to go.”

The White House is where Feingold wants to go. He is counting on his consistent opposition to the Iraq war to get him there.

“He is, I think, the one Democrat who can say he’s 100 percent pure,” says columnist David Yepsen of the Des Moines Register.

------------------
He is still my choice but...

can a Jewish man win the presidency?

This Jewish man cannot win the Presidency. Can a Jewish man win? Maybe but I don't know of any Jew in America that could. Maybe if some great war hero was Jewish like an Eisenhower or Grant type but other than that not likely.

http://tinyurl.com/jlca9

WHAT AMERICA NEEDS!

WASHINGTON - As the only senator to have voted against the Patriot Act and the only presidential hopeful to have voted against the Iraq war, Russ Feingold is sometimes tempted to say “I told you so.”

“Yeah, but I was taught it’s impolite to do that,” the Wisconsin liberal tells The Examiner in an interview. “And it also doesn’t help you get where you want to go.”

The White House is where Feingold wants to go. He is counting on his consistent opposition to the Iraq war to get him there.

“He is, I think, the one Democrat who can say he’s 100 percent pure,” says columnist David Yepsen of the Des Moines Register.

------------------
He is still my choice but...

can a Jewish man win the presidency?

I don't see why not.

This Jewish man cannot win the Presidency. Can a Jewish man win? Maybe but I don't know of any Jew in America that could. Maybe if some great war hero was Jewish like an Eisenhower or Grant type but other than that not likely.

Why cant this guy? He is the only canidate who, in hindsight was perfect on the war!

Because I know the American electorate. Feingold is perceived as very liberal and in the past canidates who were perceived as very liberal have failed miserably McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis.

Besides him being Jewish will at least cost him 5% of the vote. So he would have to have been able to beat the Republican canidate by 5 percentage points anyway if he was a Christian. Its hard to get that kind of margin.

Liberal + Jewish = no presidency.

A guy like Kinky Friedman would have a much better shot.

Because I know the American electorate. Feingold is perceived as very liberal and in the past canidates who were perceived as very liberal have failed miserably McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis.

Besides him being Jewish will at least cost him 5% of the vote. So he would have to have been able to beat the Republican canidate by 5 percentage points anyway if he was a Christian. Its hard to get that kind of margin.

I see your point... I just think he would be the best choice at this point!

"Percieved" as very liberal? Feingold is the one Democrat who joined with republicans in voting for impeachment hearings against clinton in the Senate. He's a maverick.

And I think your 20 years out of date, on assuming the "liberal" label is going to work for republicans.

John Kerry was asserted by the GOP to be the "number one" liberal in the senate (and he was from taxachusetss no less) , and he came within a cats whisker of unseating a president who had all the advantages of incumbency and being commander in chief during a war.

Can he be elected president? Maybe, but I hope not. Not my kind of candidate.

"Ex-felons' Voting Rights: Voted "yes" to restore voting rights to felons who have completed their sentences."

Convicted felons shouldn't vote.......period.

"Gun Policy: He received a 10% score from the NRA, and a 100% score from The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence"

No gun control, thank you.

"Abortion Policy: He received a 100% score from Planned Parenthood and a zero from the National Right to Life Committee."

I'm not for everything the NRLC does but to receive a zero is to oppose ALL of my abortion views.

"Civil Liberties: He received a 75% score from The American Civil Liberties Union."

Anyone who can receive a passing grade from the ACLU probably won't get my vote.

More at: http://selectsmart.com/president/Feingold.html

Besides, I am for the patriot act, including the NSA eavesdropping program. The only thing we (Russ and me) agree on so far is Iraq, and he got that right by opposing the president from the start. I have to ask why?

"Percieved" as very liberal? Feingold is the one Democrat who joined with republicans in voting for impeachment hearings against clinton in the Senate. He's a maverick.

And I think your 20 years out of date, on assuming the "liberal" label is going to work for republicans.

John Kerry was asserted by the GOP to be the "number one" liberal in the senate (and he was from taxachusetss no less) , and he came within a cats whisker of unseating a president who had all the advantages of incumbency and being commander in chief during a war.

True about Kerry! Liberal is not a bad word anymore!

Hmm liberal + Jewish = not president ...

Well look where the anti liberal rhetoric on Bush and his minions has delivered us to. People might not be so gullible next time. But then again they might...

Hmm liberal + Jewish = not president ...

Well look where the anti liberal rhetoric on Bush and his minions has delivered us to. People might not be so gullible next time. But then again they might...

He would loose some Christian votes in the south, but imagine how excited the south Florida Jews would be to get to vote for him! I bet he could win Florida...

Thats how Gore won Florida in 2000!

That little tidbit of knowledge is not commonly known Cypress. Ask anyone who has a fair but not good amount of knowledge about politicians and out of the frontrunners among the democrats Feingold is considered more liberal than most.

As for Kerry I think if the Democrats chose someone else he would have defeated Bush.

He would not win Florida. You act like Jews make up 15% of the population there. They don't.

Many christians simply would not vote for a non Christian for President. This is a sad reality in our nation.

He would not win Florida. You act like Jews make up 15% of the population there. They don't.

Many christians simply would not vote for a non Christian for President. This is a sad reality in our nation.

What percentage of Christians would not vote for a Jew? And arnt those the same Christians who would not vote for a Democrat? The Democrats cant get that vote anyway!

I don't think someones religion would play that much in the election providing he was popularly received. It would depend more on what he stood for rather what his religious beliefs were.

Even if only 10% of Christians would not vote for him because he was Jewish alone that is a disastrous percentage in a national election.

Feingold would have to have a lot going for him to overcome that. Opposition to the war isn't enough.

I don't think someones religion would play that much in the election providing he was popularly received. It would depend more on what he stood for rather what his religious beliefs were.

I think there is a large group of Christians who would not vote for a jew... its the same group that calls America a "Christian" nation. The same group that wants paintings of Jesus Christ up at the courthouse!

I think "Christians" who would vote against a jew, simply for being a jew, are going to tend to vote republican anyway. No loss for feingold.

that's my guess anyway.

He would loose some Christian votes in the south, but imagine how excited the south Florida Jews would be to get to vote for him! I bet he could win Florida...

Thats how Gore won Florida in 2000!

Oh you have not read about southern women turning against Bush ?
Women actually run the churches. Not up front, but they do.

Back