Canada Falsely Accused Torture Victim—But America Kidnapped Him & Had Him Tortured!

Prakosh

Canada Falsely Accused Torture Victim—But America Kidnapped Him & Had Him Tortured!

Much of the conversation on FoxNews and elsewhere has been concerned with the atrocities that were not committed at Guantanimo. Unfortunately, the problem with this is that when you concentrate on Guantanimo you set aside the atrocities that were committed and how the Federal Governement was able through the use of the CIA rendition program to elicit the aid of foreign governments, some of which, like Syria that it has both used and demonized, are governments whose relationship to America's War on Terror are problematic. But the question of whether America is using torture is eventually a problem that goes far beyond Guantanimo and indeed is a program that deserves more light shone on it. So far the only person doing much of this illumination is Amy Goodman and the Radio and television show Democracy Now. She has her third extended interview with Maher Arar today on her show, if you can hear it or watch it you deserve to do give yourself that opportunity. Or as John Kay said of the Ostrichso many years ago, you can "stick your head into the sand and pretend that all is grand and hope everything turns out OK."

Canada Falsely Accused Torture Victim—But America Kidnapped and Sent Him Off To Be Tortured.

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 19, 9:23 AM ET

TORONTO - The United States "very likely" sent a Canadian software engineer to Syria, where he was tortured, based on the false accusation by Canadian authorities that he was suspected of links to al-Qaida, according to a new government report.

Syrian-born Maher Arar was exonerated of all suspicion of terrorist activity by the 2 1/2-year commission of inquiry into his case, which urged the Canadian government to offer him financial compensation. Arar is perhaps the world's best-known case of extraordinary rendition — the U.S. transfer of foreign terror suspects to third countries without court approval.

"I am able to say categorically that there is no evidence to indicate that Mr. Arar has committed any offense or that his activities constitute a threat to the security of Canada," Justice Dennis O'Connor said Monday in a three-volume report on the findings of the inquiry, part of which was made public.

Arar was traveling on a Canadian passport when he was detained at New York's Kennedy Airport on Sept. 26, 2002, on his way home from vacation in Tunisia.

Arar said U.S. authorities sent him to Syria for interrogation as a suspected member of al-Qaida, a link he denied.

He spent nearly a year in prison in Syria and made detailed allegations after his release in 2003 about extensive interrogation, beatings and whippings with electrical cables.

O'Connor criticized the U.S. and recommended that Ottawa file formal protests with both Washington and the Syrian government over Arar's treatment.

"The American authorities who handled Mr. Arar's case treated Mr. Arar in a most regrettable fashion," O'Connor wrote. "They removed him to Syria against his wishes and in the face of his statements that he would be tortured if sent there. Moreover, they dealt with Canadian officials involved with Mr. Arar's case in a less than forthcoming manner."

The U.S. is already under intense criticism from human rights groups over the practice of sending suspects to countries where they could be tortured.

Full Story

It's in the terrorist handbook, claim to be tortured and ask for your rights. Seems he is going by the book. But hey take it up with Syria

Toby you are fucking stupid. God damn! The guy was a Canadian citizen he was born in Syria. There is no evidence this man is a terrorist yet he is incarcerated and tortured in Syria for two and a half years. If you don't see that we are simply using these countries to conduct these abuses because of the perception that these nations are human rights violators than you are dumber than I initially imagined.

No accused is not guilty. But the article is misleading. The US just sent him home, what they do with him is not up to us. Not like we have a great relationship with Syria is it?

The US didn't send him home Toby. Canada is his home. They sent him there fully understanding what would be done to them. Why would the Syrians torture him to extract information that would be useful to us?

As for the proof. The burden of proof is on the state. If we don't have proof he's a terrorist than thats it he has to be let go or brought up on charges and sent to trial. He doesn't have to prove he's not a terrorist. Can you prove to me Toby that you are not a terrorist?

No accused is not guilty. But the article is misleading. The US just sent him home, what they do with him is not up to us. Not like we have a great relationship with Syria is it?

What the great seer toby seems to forget or ignore is that we have an immigration policy that makes it possible for a person to immmigrate to America by submitting information that they will be persecuted if they are returned to their home country. In this case we actually shipped a person back to the country of their birth, and not of their citizenship, for the explicit purpose of being tortured to discover if they had any infromation on Al Qaeda after accusing them of attending an al Qaeda training camp. In fact, all the great seer is demonstrating about this case and others equally relevant to the conversation is how little he knows not how much he knows, unfortunately and perhaps tragically he appears unwilling to learn.

The guy had been a Canadian citizen for 17 years. Why don't you read up on the case Toby before running your mouth.

I was born in Oklahoma but it is not my home.

That is why it is best not to have a dual citizenship. I am no sear, but well, send him home and they can do as they wish. Syria in not an friend or haven't you heard?

That is why it is best not to have a dual citizenship. I am no sear, but well, send him home and they can do as they wish. Syria in not an friend or haven't you heard?

Odd that you call home a nation he hasn't lived in for 17 years. His family and career were in Canada. Why was it that he was sent there instead of going to Canada to face trial. Is it because Canada they have trial by jury and protected rights and in Syria they do not.

Arar was not even sent to Syria initially he was sent to Jordan I nation he has nothing to do with. Was he a wanted man in Syria if he was suspected of ties to Al-Queda wouldn't it be appropriate to hold him in our legal system. Syria did not demand that this prisoner be sent to them.

If someone is an immigrant here from Mexico do we send them there to face trial for a crime commited here? Of course not.

I don't know much about him, and neither do you. My point is as valid as yours. To many details are missing. He is a citizen of Syria. he was sent home. the US did not torture him, and did not even place him on a watch list. Canada put him on the list, and IF I say IF he was tortured it was done by Syrians. So there. Nothing the US did was wrong in my opinion.

What happened to innocent till proven guilty...

Giess it was changed to "innocent till proven guilty, ulenss muslam"!

An innocent Canadian should never be captured by America and sent to Syria to be tourtured. My government would be promoting innocent till proven guilty, unless Muslam... were that the case.

I hope this guy wins big in his lawsuit!

I don't know much about him, and neither do you. My point is as valid as yours. To many details are missing. He is a citizen of Syria. he was sent home. the US did not torture him, and did not even place him on a watch list. Canada put him on the list, and IF I say IF he was tortured it was done by Syrians. So there. Nothing the US did was wrong in my opinion.

I know much more than you apparently do. You weren't even aware he was a Canadian. Syria is not his home. My mother isn't even a citizen of this country but if she was accused of a crime here she would not face trial for it in her home nation. Such a thing does not exist in our judicial system. Do you have any concept of the idea of judicial jurisdiction? There is no law stating that a foreign national captured by US authorities is to be sent to their nation of birth instead of the nation in which the crime was committed.

Arar was not wanted by the Syrian government and nothing he was accused of was in connection to Syria.

The United States most certainly did something wrong. It did not take account of judicial jurisdiction and sent him to a country that we know full well practices torture and offers no legal protections we are committing a human rights abuse.

good point Jarod, take it up with Canada and Syria

I always love it when representatives of the so-called party of personal responisibility actually have to take responsibility for the actions of their so-called leaders, Their reaction is practically automatic and it nearly always results in finger pointing first and foremost. So my question for Mr. toby is when does the American government actually become responsible for the atriocities it participates in, and more importantly, why does he think that Syria which just yesterday Bush himself called a "crossroad of terror" and accused of being a terrorist state would be so interested in whether or not Arar attended an Al Qaeda training camp that they would torture someone, anyone, in order to obtain that information? Doesn't any of this strain Mr. tody's lock-step allegiance to the party and president that he so forthrightly defends?

Back