Cats in the news

Road closed after cat found clinging to tree branch for 48 hours

1_JS259443756.jpg

A cat was discovered clinging to a tree for 48 hours leading to a large scale emergency service operation that saw police close the road.

The RSPCA and fire officers from Ellesmere Port and Chester rushed to the aid of the stricken cat who was found clinging to a branch 45-feet above the ground.

Owner Joanne Salomon tried in vain to coax down the petrified cat - but Oreo was unable to respond and only became more distressed, climbing higher.

A full scale operation swung into action with police closing off the road while an aerial platform was deployed by firefighters to reach the tiring cat.

Ms Morris, from the RSPCA, said: “It was a very tall tree and attempts to try and get the cat to move off the branch which overhangs the road were unsuccessful.

"The fire officers cut branches away, but they were struggling to reach him with the platform.”

“It was scared and rooted to the spot, so a ladder was put up and a fire officer managed to grab hold of the cat who was given a traditional fire service lift down to safety.”

Back on the ground, Oreo was reunited with her family, who had mounted a search for their pet after he failed to return home two days before.

While largely unscathed, the cat lost two claws from clinging to the branch and was experiencing severe fatigue.

0_image-6.jpg

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/road-closed-after-cat-found-23271476

Joy for Tammy the cat as she is rehomed after being confined indoors

T0FLMTM3MDg1MzUw.jpg

Tortoiseshell-and-white Tammy was six years old when she arrived in the care of Cats Protection’s Northampton Branch after coming from a home where the owner was unable to cope with the responsibilities of cat care.

Tammy had not been neutered and she and the other cats were kept together indoors, with no access to outdoor space.

She’d always lived indoors, and had been unable to enjoy natural cat behaviors such as playing, hunting, climbing and exploring. :readit:

Tammy needed a range of veterinary treatment before she could be rehomed, but thankfully a family took a chance on a nervous cat.

New owners, the Demidow family, gave her plenty of space, allowing her to hide upstairs until she was ready to explore on her own terms.

Once she found the courage to venture outside, her loving and affectionate nature was revealed.

Photographer Amy Demidow said: "When we first started looking for a new furry friend, we wanted a confident cat.

“When we were told about Tammy and her past hardships, we decided we wanted to give her a better life".

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/people/joy-for-cat-as-she-is-rehomed-after-being-confined-to-room-with-three-other-pets-3594545

Only midget-minded idiots assign human traits to animals.

Animals are exactly what they were made to be.

Yeah...subservient quadrupeds.

Which is exactly what most animals are.

You eat them and/or force them to live with you because you are lonely.

BTW - I am a vegetarian and I have never owned a pet since I have lived on my own.

I like animals - I just feel no need to own one for companionship.

We are done here as I have no desire to get into some pointless debate with a bunch of hypocritical pet owners.
People who swear they love animals.
But then - mostly - happily scarf them down whenever they are hungry.
But have not got the guts to kill and dress said animals themselves.
So they get others to do it for them.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Well of course.

In the midget mind, it is inconceivable that people could become pet owners after feeding then taking in, a stray animal that otherwise would have slowly starved to death or been killed by disease, parasites or some other larger predator, simply because they felt sympathy and concern for the poor critter's safety and well being.

Yeah, right.

Sounds like you're projecting your own less than admirable, asshole personal qualities on those who are just better human beings than you are.

What geniuses we have here. :palm:

That's why we can't have nice things. :mad:

FRIDAY, March 4, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- A cat in Pennsylvania that turned out to be infected with the Delta variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is the first known case of the variant occurring in a domestic feline in the United States.

https://consumer.healthday.com/b-3-4-vets-spot-the-delta-variant-in-a-house-cat-2656825062.html

Humans are animals too. Just sayin'.

Only in the most technical sense.

But since you mentioned it, humans adopt, take in and care for other humans/animals too.

I wonder what kind of nasty, asshole opinion old midget mind has on that topic.

BTW - I am a vegetarian and I have never owned a pet since I have lived on my own.

I like animals - I just feel no need to own one for companionship.

We are done here as I have no desire to get into some pointless debate with a bunch of hypocritical pet owners.
People who swear they love animals.
But then - mostly - happily scarf them down whenever they are hungry.
But have not got the guts to kill and dress said animals themselves.
So they get others to do it for them.

Have a nice day.

This is a thread devoted to cats, Rocket. Your comment about "owning" is inappropriate.

One does not "own" a cat. Cats often live with and give companionship to humans. It is, however,, a relationship much closer to "cats and staff" than to "cats and owners."

Cats anywhere are a sign of advanced civilization. Pubs, libraries, bookstores etc. A lot of the smaller bookstores I've visited had a cat :loveu: in residence.

A lot of nursing homes and assisted living facilities have resident cats now too. And I bet they know each and every resident who hates them, and choose to sit and stare at them all afternoon. lol

This is a thread devoted to cats, Rocket. Your comment about "owning" is inappropriate.

One does not "own" a cat. Cats often live with and give companionship to humans. It is, however,, a relationship much closer to "cats and staff" than to "cats and owners."

"Cats and staff" is spot on. :good4u:

They're fiendish like that. :laugh:

We had a kitty when my kids were growing up who was friendly to almost everyone. For some reason though she hated both my dad and my f.i.l. My dad was understandable -- he hated cats. She would slither behind the couch, climb up the back of it, and reach out and claw him every chance she got. The father-in-law though was different -- he LOVED cats and always wanted to trap her and pet her and pet her and pet her. She would likewise creep up behind him on the couch, and claw the crap out of him.

I loved that cat. :laugh:

We had a kitty when my kids were growing up who was friendly to almost everyone. For some reason though she hated both my dad and my f.i.l. My dad was understandable -- he hated cats. She would slither behind the couch, climb up the back of it, and reach out and claw him every chance she got. The father-in-law though was different -- he LOVED cats and always wanted to trap her and pet her and pet her and pet her. She would likewise creep up behind him on the couch, and claw the crap out of him.

I loved that cat. :laugh:

Sounds like she didn't like adult men.

Sounds like she didn't like adult men.

She liked my husband just fine; loved to lay on his lap when he was watching sports on TV. I think maybe it was *old dudes* she didn't like, including the mother-in-law. Oddly though she never clawed her. Two gnarly bitches reaching detente? lol

Mum rescues 33 cats locked inside rooms with the windows taped shut

0_cats.jpg

They had no food, bedding or toys.

A mum has rescued 33 cats and kittens from "appalling" conditions inside a property .

Lisa James has run Cat and Kitten Rescue from her home for the last 12 years.

The 38-year-old received a message last month about 33 animals which needed rescue.

When she arrived at the address to assess the situation she was shocked at what she found.

The mum-of-four said she discovered "thin, scared and starving" cats and kittens inside locked rooms.

She said the animals had no bedding, toys or food and the windows were taped shut.

Lisa said: "I went out to a property to assess a situation which sounded very desperate. The usual larger charities had been contacted, however after a brief call, they stated they couldn’t help.

"I hoped it wasn’t as bad as the message made out, but I was in for a shock. Every room opened was the same horrifying picture. There were eight kittens in a toilet room - it had just a toilet, a sink and no window. They did have water and litter trays but one was overflowing with poo."

There was feces on the floor and some of the rooms did not have carpets, so it was sinking into the ground.

She said: "Within five hours I had removed 33 cats and kittens from the appalling conditions they had been left to live in.

"I didn’t know where I would house them all. I didn’t know how I would fund their care. But they absolutely could not stay there."

Lisa took the pets to her home and set up a Go Fund Me page for them. "I wasn't thinking for one minute that I was coming home with 33 cats!"

She has so far raised £4,828 towards their treatment - £2,700 of which was donated within the first 24 hours.

Lisa is desperately searching for a veterinary practice in the area which will be able to treat the cats and kittens.

She said one of the kittens is paralyzed and needs an x-ray and possibly surgery.

All of the animals require health checks, neutering and vaccinations.

1_cat.jpg

:mad: So the larger charities said they couldn't help, and that tells readers everything they need to know about these larger charities. They can afford to waste cash on diversity campaigns, printing and issuing staff with gender neutral badges showing their preferred pronouns and putting rainbow colors on their literature, but can't fulfill their main role of helping those they were set up to help. This is why your cash should go to smaller charities, those that really do the hard work on the ground with minimal support and publicity.

To donate: https://www.gofundme.com/f/33-cats-rescued-from-a-flat?qid=5c425b62c27d5a18adac8896e5068406

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/mum-rescues-33-cats-locked-23295769

Missing cat found trapped in a pit

0_skittlestwo.jpg

Fire brigade rescues Skittles the cat

Firefighters rescued a cat which had been trapped down a pit at a Plymouth school for days.

A firefighter climbed down into the hole and recovered the white moggy called Skittles.

A crew from Crownhill Fire Station's Blue Watch was sent to Tor Bridge High School.

The station reported: "We were mobilized to rescue a four-legged casualty called Skittles who had fallen into a large pit and had been missing for a few days. We spotted Skittles right away and wasted no time in rescuing and reuniting her with her family. A good job all round."

Pictures posted online show a firefighter climbing a ladder to go into the pit and rescue the animal in a pet carrier. Pupils watched the drama from behind a fence.

0_skittles.jpg

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/missing-cat-found-trapped-pit-6761056

Purina under pressure to remove cat food from shelves

2_Cat1.jpg

Pressure is being put on Purina to remove its brand of cat food from shelves across the UK after owners claimed the new recipe was making their pets ill.

The recipe for the popular food was changed in March 2021, when many pets began experiencing kidney problems, vomiting and feeling lethargic.

More than 28,000 people complained, and the group has received more than 11,000 signatures on a change.org petition calling for the product to be recalled.

Purina insisted it has carried out extensive safety checks and has not found any link between the product and illness.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/purina-under-pressure-remove-cat-6763015

Sick-Tok

Kurt%20Zouma%20Cat%20West%20Ham.jpg

Red China's TikTok app is loaded with sickening animal abuse videos of cats being strangled, slapped, kicked, punched, & killed.

In seconds,one clip of a woman stroking a cat went from a touching moment to abuse.

The individual, who The Sun has chosen not to name, aggressively slapped her cat on its face and body while the petrified pet bared its teeth and cowered in pain.

Two commenters wrote in response to the vile video, which has been liked 105,000 times, “l laughed so much” and “LMFAO snot flew, help!”.

Millions were outraged after The Sun revealed footage of West Ham footballer Kurt Zouma, 27, kicking his cat.

The West Ham defender was seen attacking the pet at his £2 million mansion while his brother filmed him.

Zouma, 27, dropped the terrified moggy and boots it in mid air across the kitchen floor.

He then chased the injured animal around his dining room in front of a child as the cameraman laughed.

Zouma also hurled a pair of shoes at the pet — which frantically tried to escape.

In a final clip, he was seen forcefully slapping the cat in the face.

Offenders in the UK can receive up to five years in prison and an unlimited civil fine — and Zouma, although he has not been charged yet, knows the consequences of his actions all too well.

The team condemned Zouma's actions and fined him £250,000, which is the maximum fine they are able to hand out.

He was dropped from the team, lost his Adidas sponsorship deal and had his pets confiscated by the RSPCA.

Yet plenty of similar videos exist on TikTok — and the numbers are increasing by the day.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17863166/tiktok-animal-abuse-videos/

Back