China Enacting a High-Tech Plan to Track People

Darla,

Add this to your political wisdom ...

Clinton Signs Bill To Disapprove of Equalizing Crack-Powder Cocaine Sentences
http://ndsn.org/dec95/crack.html

On October 30, President Clinton signed a bill that blocks the U.S. Sentencing Commission amendments to equalize the penalties for crack and powder cocaine from taking effect (see "Congress Nixes Amendments to Sentencing Guidelines on Cocaine, Money Laundering," 58 CrL 1086, October 25, 1995).

In a statement Clinton said the U.S. is making strides in combatting crime and violence. "We have to send a constant message to our children that drugs are illegal, drugs are dangerous, drugs may cost you your life -- and the penalties for dealing drugs are severe," he said. "I am not going to let anyone who peddles drugs get the idea that the cost of doing business is going down."

Clinton also mentioned that he may support proposals that toughen powder cocaine sentences. "When large-scale cocaine traffickers sell powder with the knowledge that it will be converted into crack, they should be punished as severely as those who distribute the crack itself. I have asked the Attorney General to immediately develop enforcement strategies to bring about this result."

NOTE: He never did instruct the AG to develop such strategies

In her weekly news briefing, Attorney General Janet Reno said the sentencing disparity is unfair. "Clearly I think [penalties] should be equalized with respect to possession offenses," she said. "And equally clearly, I don't think the 100-to-1 ratio is fair." She also said that people who provide powder cocaine to those who cook it into crack should get "the more appropriately stiff sentence than the person who distributes the crack" (Vanessa Gallman, Knight-Ridder, "Reno Softens Stance On Crack Cocaine Sentences," Buffalo News, October 27, 1995, p. A14).

A Commission amendment regarding marijuana sentencing did become law on November 1. The effect of the amendment is that each marijuana plant will be considered the equivalent of 100 grams for sentencing purposes, thus eliminating a "cliff" in the Guidelines. Before November 1, someone convicted of growing 50 plants would receive a sentence of 33 to 41 months, which is four times longer than the sentence for someone convicted of growing 49 plants (10 to 16 months).

Wow, I did not know about that either. I have always said that having worked on Wall Street, and seen firsthand white executives sniffing coke right in their offices, and in bathrooms, that sending young black kids to prison for decades for crack, was outrageous. I did not know that he refused to sign a bill that would have equalized the crimes.

Wow, I did not know about that either. I have always said that having worked on Wall Street, and seen firsthand white executives sniffing coke right in their offices, and in bathrooms, that sending young black kids to prison for decades for crack, was outrageous. I did not know that he refused to sign a bill that would have equalized the crimes.

This from Bill Clinton the first "Black President."

Anyone who utters that nonsense should be slapped so hard that both eyes end up on the same side of their head.

The problem is that in trying to escape the label as "soft on crime" democrats will do nothing about the injustice of the Justice System and by doing so, they themselves perpetuate the sterotype.

Last edited:
It is all about getting votes for the party.
Not about what is right.
and this campaign is the worst so far in that area. In both parties.

Can't put this on republicans.

The greatest EXPLOSION of prison incarceration in this century by any nation on the planet happened under Bill Clinton.

AND a Republican Congress... plenty of blame to go around for both parties.

You would think we would have learned a lesson from prohibition.

"Before November 1, someone convicted of growing 50 plants would receive a sentence of 33 to 41 months, which is four times longer than the sentence for someone convicted of growing 49 plants "

Damn good thing they did this... who knows how many stoners were like...."yeah, dude, I think that was 49" when in reality it was 61.

AND a Republican Congress... plenty of blame to go around for both parties.

You would think we would have learned a lesson from prohibition.

I agree that both parties AND the American people share in this .. but it is wrong to place the blame solely on republicans.

First presidential candidate to run on a "tough on crime" platform was George Wallace. After his unexpectedly strong showing, a lot of politicians took that on.

Well, sentences in the US have gone up and up and up. They are now several times what they were before and six times more than comparable sentences in any other developed country.

Crime, on the other hand, has stayed absolutely static.

the entire drug war is a sham. Drugs are sold here under the protections of the highest levels of power.

This book explains it all

Dope, Inc.

http://www.amazon.com/Dope-Inc-Drove-Henry-Kissinger/dp/0943235022
This book focuses on the enormity of the dope trade, and the pernicious bankers who hide its corpulent wealth. It also introduces the reader to an extensive and well-documented history of drug use and narcotics trafficking, from the peak of prominence of the British Empire, to the early 1990's. Be forewarned, this magnum opus not only discusses the forces that seek to corrupt and control the lives of millions, but also those who obfuscate the truth. If you can, please introduce yourself to this volume of volatile material.

First presidential candidate to run on a "tough on crime" platform was George Wallace. After his unexpectedly strong showing, a lot of politicians took that on.

Well, sentences in the US have gone up and up and up. They are now several times what they were before and six times more than comparable sentences in any other developed country.

Crime, on the other hand, has stayed absolutely static.

I have no problem with politicians being "tough on crime"... but it is the WHAT constitutes a crime that needs to be addressed. If someone breaks the law, toss their ass in jail. But if a law is idiotic, we need to change it.

and don't get me wrong, I am sure you agree with that, just wanted to clarify my position.

I have no problem with politicians being "tough on crime"... but it is the WHAT constitutes a crime that needs to be addressed. If someone breaks the law, toss their ass in jail. But if a law is idiotic, we need to change it.

and don't get me wrong, I am sure you agree with that, just wanted to clarify my position.

Yes, of course. That wasn't really what I meant by George Wallace's "tough on crime" platform. I just don't really agree with the "put em in jail and throw away the key" mentality. We certainly do need tougher enforcement (and more equal), though, but I think we're kind of overzealous in what we define as a crime and what we establish as a mandatory minimum.

I mean, for instance, three strikes laws. These sound all well and good until the judge is forced to throw someone in jail for life for stealing one hundred dollars worth of stationery or something like that 20 years after they committed their last felony.

Can't put this on republicans.

The greatest EXPLOSION of prison incarceration in this century by any nation on the planet happened under Bill Clinton.
but didn't our violent crime rate go way down under clinton's tough rule....with putting more cops on the streets as he promised and with his 3 strikes yur out rule....keeping 3 time offenders of violent crimes from seeing the light of day out of prison, ever again?

but didn't our violent crime rate go way down under clinton's tough rule....with putting more cops on the streets as he promised and with his 3 strikes yur out rule....keeping 3 time offenders of violent crimes from seeing the light of day out of prison, ever again?

The 3 stikes law is one reason why America has 25% of all the world's prisoners. MOST of those convicted under this law are NOT violent criminals.

The frist person convicted under this law was a guy named Larry Fisher. Fisher's crime, after two prior felony convictions, was holding up a sandwich shop for $151. Fisher's first felony conviction was in 1986, for stealing $360 from his own grandfather. His second strike was stealing less than $100 from a pizza parlor. Should this guy go to jail? Absolutely. But should he go to jail for life? Absolutely not.

A much more fair and just "firm but fair" policy is that of assigning points to specific crimes. But Clinton was interested in his image not what's fair.

Clinton’s enthusiastic support for the death penalty is the crown jewel of the Democratic Party’s "get-tough-on-crime" laws, including life imprisonment for a third felony offense and tougher sentencing for youth offenders. Clinton-sponsored legislation greatly expanded the number of federal crimes punishable by death and accelerated the number of executions at the state level. In the six years that Clinton has been president, more than 315 people have been executed in the United States. In the entire 12 years of the conservative Republican presidencies of Ronald Reagan and George Bush, 185 people were put to death. From 1997-1999, record numbers were executed. In 1997, 74 people were executed, the largest number of executions in a single year since 1956. Sixty-eight death-row prisoners were killed in 1998.

In 1996, Democrats outdid themselves in passing Clinton’s Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act. This law limits habeas corpus appeals for death-row inmates to one within a year after conviction. It sets up arbitrary time limits for filing appeals, and it forces the federal Courts to essentially rubber stamp the state courts’ decisions. Since inmates often cannot find counsel or take years to do so, the law means that many death-row inmates will not be able to find help for their appeals in time. Moreover, inmates often aren’t able to uncover evidence that might prove a wrongful conviction or their innocence within a year.

Today, through DNA evidence, the Innocence Project, the Sentencing Project, and many others, we know that many who sit on death row are innocent of the crimes they're accused of. Today, getting off death row because new evidence proves one not guilty is not an anomaly.

Additionally, Clinton KNEW of the disparity in arrests and sentencing. He KNEW of the prosecutions zeal to lock up non-whites and even trump up evidence to do so. None of that factored into his zeal to prove himself "tough on crime."

Tough on crime at what price? Becoming essentially a nation of prisoners surpassing all totalitarian states? Locking up people who may be innocent to boost the records of prosecutors?

Is America so violent and unlawful that having 25% of all thge world's prisoners seem correct or make any sense whatsoever?

THis has far more to do with politics and the image of politicians than it does with the lawless nature of Americans.

On his way out the door as he was leaving office Clinton pardoned 22 low-level drug offenders and asked that federal drug laws be relaxed.

On his way out the door.

22 of them? And that made him the President who had pardoned the highest number of drug offenders? That is pathetic all around.

the most abused drugs now are prescription ones. That helps to keep the drug company profits up and boosts the economy.

Do you really even know what you're talking about Care?

3 strikes out was horrible for the country. It's a human rights violation.

But Clinton didn't do it - a few state governments did it. And most have repealed it by now, thankfully.

Clinton COULDN'T put more cops on the street - he runs the federal government, which has nothing to do with local cops.

I've sometimes thought - did anyone even think before passing three strikes? It's kind of ridiculous - "Three" seems to be a number chosen for no other reason than that's the amount of strikes you have in baseball. Is that how we're running our country?

Last edited:
Back