Christians wage war on mid winter festivals

uscitizen

Villified User
I wish the Religious ones would cease their assault on our midwinter festivals, they were here before Jesus was.

I wish the Religious ones would cease their assault on our midwinter festivals, they were here before Jesus was.

But in the United States of America the official name of our Mid Winter Festival is Christmas, and the offical day is Demeber 25th..... its not named holiday, nor Mid Winter festival... its a fact jack...its in the books....no matter how politically correct one attempts to make himself appear......

Yes in America, but not in the rest of the world. The Christians had already coopted the midwinter festivals long before this country had been founded.
Duhhh, this war has gone on for over 1000 years...
I did not limit my post to America.

How come we speak of Yuletide, tannenbaum, Santa Claus along with Christmas? they are for sure Christian things , right ?

Yes in America, but not in the rest of the world. The Christians had already coopted the midwinter festivals long before this country had been founded.
Duhhh, this war has gone on for over 1000 years...
I did not limit my post to America.

How come we speak of Yuletide, tannenbaum, Santa Claus along with Christmas? they are for sure Christian things , right ?

No ... not Christian.. but active American tradition ...yes. The main debate in this Country.. because that is what I am mainly concerned about..because America is where I live and I am sensitive to those who have a hard on with destroying traditions ...
We in the USA have adopted many of the pagan rituals ... and you can actually thank many sects of the Christian faith for the inclusion of such festivities.. because thats what we are concerned about...inclusion ..correct? So what I get pissed about are those who wish to destroy a simple greeting such as "Merry Christmas" .. this simple phrase that acknowledges the name of the National Holiday.... somehow offends and is not inclusive.... yet much of the festivity around Christmas through the years have been molded by Christians themselves to be inclusive.... such as Christmas Trees, Decorations, Santa, Elves, gift giving ... etc ......

The War on Christmas is waged by fanatics on both sides of the fence.. and for you to try and twist around for patisans sake flies back in your face.

No ... not Christian.. but active American tradition ...yes. The main debate in this Country.. because that is what I am mainly concerned about..because America is where I live and I am sensitive to those who have a hard on with destroying traditions ...
We in the USA have adopted many of the pagan rituals ... and you can actually thank many sects of the Christian faith for the inclusion of such festivities.. because thats what we are concerned about...inclusion ..correct? So what I get pissed about are those who wish to destroy a simple greeting such as "Merry Christmas" .. this simple phrase that acknowledges the name of the National Holiday.... somehow offends and is not inclusive.... yet much of the festivity around Christmas through the years have been molded by Christians themselves to be inclusive.... such as Christmas Trees, Decorations, Santa, Elves, gift giving ... etc ......

The War on Christmas is waged by fanatics on both sides of the fence.. and for you to try and twist around for patisans sake flies back in your face.

LOL, I don't know what I have put on this subject that is partisan ???
so I guess it flew back in your face.

LOL, I don't know what I have put on this subject that is partisan ???
so I guess it flew back in your face.

"I wish the Religious ones would cease their assault on our midwinter festivals"

Religous ones is code word for Right Wingers .... how does that foot taste? :clink:

But in the United States of America the official name of our Mid Winter Festival is Christmas, and the offical day is Demeber 25th..... its not named holiday, nor Mid Winter festival... its a fact jack...its in the books....no matter how politically correct one attempts to make himself appear......

it was hijacked by holyrollers....

You see this war on the mid-winter festavels has been going on for as long as the USA has been a nation!

I was speaking to a Girl from Russia the other day. They dont celebrate Christmas on Christmas day but on New Years day. Christmas is reserved for purely the Religous ceramonies while new years is when they celebrate the secular portion of the holidays, the gifts under the tree, the feasts, and the candle lights on the roads...

I was speaking to a Girl from Russia the other day. They dont celebrate Christmas on Christmas day but on New Years day. Christmas is reserved for purely the Religous ceramonies while new years is when they celebrate the secular portion of the holidays, the gifts under the tree, the feasts, and the candle lights on the roads...

actually, Eastern Orthodox Christians in eastern and central europe celebrate Christmas around January 7th or 9th - I don't remember exactly. Its definetly not on New Years Day. Its possible you simply misunderstood her.

Russian Orthodox churches did not change their calendar as the other Christian Churches did to the Gregorian Calendar. Thus December 25th falls on New Years day for the church, even though the government follows the Gregorian calendar. So, they actually do celebrate the holiday on the same day, just not in concert with the rest of the church....

umm it seems like it is a differnet day with the same name....
Basically, being Orthodox they kept the "old ways" rather than change to the more modern calendar. Of course it is on a different day, however it is on December 25th on that old calendar...

So... Basically, yes, same name different day.

Basically, being Orthodox they kept the "old ways" rather than change to the more modern calendar. Of course it is on a different day, however it is on December 25th on that old calendar...

So... Basically, yes, same name different day.
It's actually like 16 days off.. so, not on the first, more like the 7th..

Yup, I forgot she said it was January 7th.... I remember because its my sisters birthday.

Well, it's never too late to fix this kind of scr*wup. This is one of the easy ones. :cool:

Back