Citgo was an American company....

Cypress you act as if what any other country does as long as it is democratic is not worthy of consideration.

Yes it is their country and yes I have an opinion about it. We are all citizens of the world and I don't find it inappropriate to concern myself with what goes on overseas especially if my dollar supports it.

Russia is also a democratic country but there is much to be concerned with there as well.

As I said before though. I do not boycott Citgo because I don't consider Chavez' government to be worse than the Saudi's or Russian's.

Given our history in south america, lecturing them on how they should behave is counter-productive. The best we can do there is try to set a good example.

The Bush admin practically cheered during the coup against popularly-elected Chavez in 2002. This admin doesn't have a lot of credibility in latin america.

Given our history in south america, lecturing them on how they should behave is counter-productive. The best we can do there is try to set a good example.

The Bush admin practically cheered during the coup against popularly-elected Chavez in 2002. This admin doesn't have a lot of credibility in latin america.

Of course but as you know I've never bought into good guy vs. bad guy dichotomy. We as a nation have no room to talk but that has little bearing on my personal decision to purchase gasoline.

Chavez isn't a dictator. He was popularly elected three times, by some of the largest majorities in venezeulan history.

I am very familiar with Chavez. Chavez has rewritten many of the laws to solidifiy his power and has sought to erode checks and balances in his government. Chavez is popular because he gives a lot to the people especially the poor. Chavez apparently understands the principles of Machiavelli quite well. Chavez is a majoritarian, trampling the rights of smaller groups is seen as expedient by him because they are a smaller voting bloc.

Chavez has limited speech and the press that has been critical of him.

Bush was also popularly elected but that doesn't mean that he works against human rights.

Chavez and Bush have much in common actually. The main difference is who they cater to. Chavez is much smarter though.
:clink:

Hugo was a fine boy until he started cutting into oil company profits. No cutting out oul to the USA just cutting into oil company profits.

Giuliani Defends Firm's Work for Citgo

Mar 18, 9:49 PM (ET)

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani on Sunday defended his law firm's role in representing Citgo Petroleum Corp., which is ultimately controlled by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, saying it was helping protect American jobs.

Giuliani acknowledged though, that his opponents will try to exploit the news that a lawyer with Bracewell & Giuliani of Houston has been representing Citgo before the Texas legislature.

The firm has had a contract with Citgo since before Giuliani joined it.

~

Although Citgo Petroleum is a U.S.-based company, it was bought in 1990 by Petroleos de Venezuela, the national oil company of Venezuela. It employs 4,000 people in Texas and other states, and Giuliani said indirectly more than 100,000 people have jobs because of the company.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070319/D8NUUOUO0.html

Just one example in the shortsighted view of those selling America.

God, is that protectionist bullshit ALL you fuckign talk about? Get a fucking life and read economics. I challenge you to find one economist in the whole goddamn world who agrees with you. I challenge you to find one society in the history of the world that ever died because of too much foreign trade. I can think of several hundred that have died because of too little. Not any that have died because their citizens "sold" the nation.

Back