Clandestine Castle in England: Destroy It!!!!

Depending on how the laws are written, how is the inspector going to be able to check everyone of the nail patterns, wall securement to the floor and roof trusts, whether the wires and plumbing are secured corrently, and everything else that is now covered up?
No inspection is exhaustive. What I would do in a case like this is to open up walls at random locations for a detailed look. Together with various testings procedures would give me the ability to write a report describing my findings.

In the 10 years prior to the Civil War, there was a mass exodus of ethnic minorities from the South to other regions, but I'm guessing the Irish were not among them.
The growth of the railroads parallels his expansion. Folks didn't like to walk all that much then, same as today.

OH; they do the work, they just don't do the work you think they're going to do.
Or they try to jack up the price, after the job is done.
They "sorta" do the work. Look for marks on your fences, you'll want to remove them. They'll place a mark to show you are an "easy" target if they are able to con you once...

If you move in to a place, check for those marks....

Yup. They come in the spring and try to get you to pay them to do work that they won't do.

What occurs a lot over here is they come to your door and offer to tarmac your driveway cheaply; as they just so happen to have some spare tarmac left over from another job. You be lucky if they use more than an inch or two of tarmac.

Last edited:
The problem with all of this, is that while the interior and exterior can be inspected; it's all the stuff inside the walls that can't be seen, that's the problem.
Were the walls, the wires, the plumbing secured properly? Are the walls and roof tied together correctly?
If an inspector buys off on this and something happens, he just left himself wide open for a liabiltiy suit.

I can only reply with what I know about the Canadian system, having worked as finance manager for a builder. There are different inspectors whose job it is to approve or disapprove the structure at various stages of completion. So you'll have a roof inspector, an insulation inspector (crucial in Ottawa!), one for the foundation, one for electricity (before the interior walls are put up), one for plumbing, etc., etc. It is illegal to proceed with subsequent work before a favorable inspection on one phase has been completed. The problems seem to arise when inspectors simply fail to do the job properly, and that does happen.

I've been watching "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV, and that show originates in Canada. The problems he encounters seem to arise from contractors either not obtaining permits at all and doing a shoddy job, or not doing the work specified in the permits, etc.

What occurs a lot over here is they come to your door and offer to tarmac your driveway cheaply; as they just so happen to have some spare tarmac left over from another job. You be lucky if they use more than an inch or two of tarmac.
LOL. Yes. That's one. And "roofing"... they like to do roofing, poorly.

Here in Washington, several years ago a man tried to have a baseball field constructed on his property, which he wanted the neighborhood kids to be able to use, and for family functions. He was told "hell no" by the zoning crowd. In revenge, he discovered they didn't have the power to prevent him from painting his house yellow with bright polka-dots, so he did just that. :D

Hmm... all I could find were these letters to the Seattle Times, and no mention of the polka dot house I remember hearing about, but still the baseball field story is neat:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030524&slug=satlets24

Here in Washington, several years ago a man tried to have a baseball field constructed on his property, which he wanted the neighborhood kids to be able to use, and for family functions. He was told "hell no" by the zoning crowd. In revenge, he discovered they didn't have the power to prevent him from painting his house yellow with bright polka-dots, so he did just that. :D

Hmm... all I could find were these letters to the Seattle Times, and no mention of the polka dot house I remember hearing about, but still the baseball field story is neat:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030524&slug=satlets24

You have probably heard of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_festival"]Glastonbury Festival[/ame]
Glastonbury_festival
, the farmer who runs it uses the main pyramid stage stage as a cowshed. Otherwise he would not be allowed to leave it up as the land is designated for agricultural use.

I still don't understand why so many Irish, an ethnic and frequently religious minority, went South...

My family was from Ulster, the only protestant region of Ireland. I think most of the Irish that headed to the south were from there. The catholic Irish all seem to have gone to Boston.

All I know is that originally, the Scotch-Irish immigrants who came over pre-Revolution, went south and west to the Appalachian frontier, to get as far away from British authority as possible. Perhaps later waves simply went where the Scotch-Irish and Irish were already living.

In the 10 years prior to the Civil War, there was a mass exodus of ethnic minorities from the South to other regions, but I'm guessing the Irish were not among them.

My family actually came in that pre-revolution Sotch-Irish wave.

Its true that the South was largely Anglican, and so the Ulster crowd would have felt at home. The South was actually NOT set up on religious grounds. The Virginia Co. of London went to Virginia to make money, and eventually discovered VA Tobacco. The Carolinas were established by Caribbean rice farmers whose sugarcane enterprises had gone bust. Georgia was settled by debters who were looking to turn their lives around financially.

Meanwhile, PA was founded for Quakers, MD for Catholics, MA/CT/NH for Puritans, RI for religious freedom from Puritans, etc.

NY was founded by the Dutch for its vast lands, and so it became primarily a commercial venture when Americans took it for themselves. I think NJ and Deleware were also commercial.

My family was from Ulster, the only protestant region of Ireland. I think most of the Irish that headed to the south were from there. The catholic Irish all seem to have gone to Boston.
And for some reason they were all given jobs as cops.

We have known about the "Irish Travellers" for years.

They usually hit Arizona about this time of the year, for "roof repairs", seeing as how it's the rainy season.
Most of those in the US, congregate in the South. Mostly in Tennessee; but they also have footholds in Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi.

In the US, they're usually just referred to as the "Travelers".

Nah. In the US we refer to them as "Illegal Aliens".

If it hadn't been for the potato famine you wouldn't have a problem. Now if the Irish had just grown rice in the paddy fields instead...

The same could be said for every wave of immigration.
When those looking for a better life move here, a negative element tends to follow them.

Back