College Football in the South

cawacko

Was watching a great History Channel documentary on Dixie and they mentioned the passion for college football really came after the 1920 (?) Rose Bowl when Alabama upset undefeated Washington 20-19. They said that game brought pride all throughout the South.

Anyone else heard that story or version of history?

Was watching a great History Channel documentary on Dixie and they mentioned the passion for college football really came after the 1920 (?) Rose Bowl when Alabama upset undefeated Washington 20-19. They said that game brought pride all throughout the South.

Anyone else heard that story or version of history?

I've read about the game. It was one of those great ones that helped start the huge traditions in the south. It was the '26 Rose Bowl. The Tide finished 10-0-0 for the 1925 season. Johnny "Mack" Brown became a hero in Tuscaloosa.

Just as an FYI, Wallace Wade has a statue outside Bryant/Denny Stadium just like 'Bear' and Saban.

We remember.

We have certainly learned to play it better, so yep we like it.
You'd be dead wrong there. You're kids do ok but in the mens game......you're far, far away from playing the game at the level they do in the midwest. The SE has a grand total of 4 NFL Championships. Hell Cleveland and Pittsburgh both have more championships then the entire SE region has. Even itty, bitty, little Green Bay has won more NFL Championships then the entire SE region combined. So no.....the SE doesn't even come remotely close playing the game as well as we do.

NFL Championships:

State of Ohio - 9
State of Pennsylvania - 9
Chicago - 10
Green Bay - 12

Entire South East Region of the USA - 4

Looks to me like you pikers have some catching up to do! LOL

Shoot. The fact is, the SE region is the worst region in the US when it comes to plaing football.

Just using super bowls won in the modern era proves that.

Super Bowls won by regions.

NE Region - 13
MW Region - 13
W Region - 10
SW Region - 5
SE Region - 4

Ya'll talk a good game in the SE region when it's kids playing but you sure don't walk the talk in the mens game! LOL

Thats because you are only counting the mercenaries that play pro ball.

The amazing thing about the 1925 Crimson Tide team.... the 19 points given up to Washington are the only points scored on Alabama that season, with the exception of one lone touchdown scored the second game of the season by Birmingham-Southern. The defense was phenomenal!

If I'm not mistaken, that was the game where "Crimson Tide" came about, a radio announcer was describing the scene as the Alabama players came onto the field, he said it looked like a tide of crimson elephants... the moniker stuck, and both Alabama's mascot (elephant) and the nick (Crimson Tide) were born.

Yep, the men, not the boys. Don't take it to hard Winter. You know why the NFL won't give Alabama a pro football team? Cause then they'd have to give one to Ohio!

I like watching pro ball, but I have never had the same feelings for it that I do college ball.

I know the athletes are better (or at least more great ones per team). But I also love to watch a nobody team go into a huge stadium and have those boys play their hearts out, KNOWING they will lose. I always admired Vandy for playing full out for 60 mins, even when they are so far behind they cannot possibly catch up. And they bring 25k people to watch and no one leaves early.

Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool, but I know most of those kids will never play pro ball. Yeah, they got a scholarship and some glory, but they play hard because it matters to them. I know you feel a lump in your throat when they "Dot the I", just like I do when I hear Bear's voice on the pregame video. College ball has a different feel to it.

I like watching pro ball, but I have never had the same feelings for it that I do college ball.

I know the athletes are better (or at least more great ones per team). But I also love to watch a nobody team go into a huge stadium and have those boys play their hearts out, KNOWING they will lose. I always admired Vandy for playing full out for 60 mins, even when they are so far behind they cannot possibly catch up. And they bring 25k people to watch and no one leaves early.

Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool, but I know most of those kids will never play pro ball. Yeah, they got a scholarship and some glory, but they play hard because it matters to them. I know you feel a lump in your throat when they "Dot the I", just like I do when I hear Bear's voice on the pregame video. College ball has a different feel to it.

I think the wild traditions, the colors and pomp, the crazy students/alum and fans, and so forth do give a great deal of excitement and nostalgia to college games that you can't get from pro games. Plus, the undergrad cheerleaders are more fun to watch than the pro cheerleaders. :yay:

I think the wild traditions, the colors and pomp, the crazy students/alum and fans, and so forth do give a great deal of excitement and nostalgia to college games that you can't get from pro games. Plus, the undergrad cheerleaders are more fun to watch than the pro cheerleaders. :yay:

The nostalgia is a big part of it. Being a lifelong Bama fan I have to put it in terms that fit my love for the game. When McElroy played QB for the Tide, he was connected to all the old guard QBs that wore the crimson & white. He is connected to Todd Rutledge, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Andrew Zow, and the rest in ways that the pro teams can't match.

Yeah, the college cheerleaders are a sight to behold.

I love Alabama football. First and foremost.. then I have several other schools I pull for in the collegiate ranks.
Next to college ball, I love a good high school game, especially a rivalry... I prefer that over a pro game any day.
I love football, so I will watch the pros, but I'm usually rooting for whoever has the Bama players.. that's getting tougher lately!!
I love my Saints! Always have, even back in the paper bag days... Kenny Stabler.. Archie Manning...

LSU and Georgia have always been sentimental favorites of mine in the SEC. For the most part, I root for the SEC, the exceptions are Auburn and Tennessee. I hate ORANGE!

I love Alabama football. First and foremost.. then I have several other schools I pull for in the collegiate ranks.
Next to college ball, I love a good high school game, especially a rivalry... I prefer that over a pro game any day.
I love football, so I will watch the pros, but I'm usually rooting for whoever has the Bama players.. that's getting tougher lately!!
I love my Saints! Always have, even back in the paper bag days... Kenny Stabler.. Archie Manning...

LSU and Georgia have always been sentimental favorites of mine in the SEC. For the most part, I root for the SEC, the exceptions are Auburn and Tennessee. I hate ORANGE!

Nothing better than chanting 'Rammer Jammer' at the top of your lungs at the aubbies or volunteers. That is life at its best!

Back