Congress confronts Unfair chinese trade practices

Again, apples and oranges. The UN is and has been ineffective, with the exception of humanitarian issues, nearly since its inception. Even in humanitarian efforts they've been plagued in recent years with charges of corruption and sex scandals by the local populations. But right now it's the game in town, regardless of one's point of view.

so have the republicans :D
:gives:

Based upon what, other than feelings? It was Bolton I believe that first brought up the term 'genocide' to what was happening. It was he and the administration that actually forced the MSM coverage of Sudan, off of just blogs and other new media. Do you really think anything would be happening now in the UN, other than pleas if not for the interest brought to bear?

Actually I think it was Weisel that first called it genocide... back in 1999.

so have the republicans :D
:gives:

That certainly aids discussion. So, logic would be if one basically disagrees with the administration, it's always wrong? Same with the next, block anything they are trying to win diplomatically, simply so THEY lose, :gives: about the country or what good they might be trying to accomplish?

As much as I like Powell... even he was five years late in the declaration.

http://www.shma.com/feb00/sudangenocide.htm

"Last year, many churches and human rights groups began to speak out against the genocide in Sudan and document reports of massacres, government-induced starvation, scorched-earth policies and slavery. On June 16, 1999, the U.S. House of Representatives adopted a resolution with only one dissent that had been introduced by Representative Don Payne (D-NJ), condemning the government of Sudan for "deliberately and systematically committing genocide." Five days later, the new U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, an independent panel created by Congress, targeted Sudan as an "egregious and ongoing" persecutor of religious believers. A few months later, on October 6, the Administration followed suit and included Sudan in its first designation of "countries of particular concern" for "egregious" religious persecution.

The Commission presented a set of policy recommendations for Sudan in a meeting with President Clinton on October 19. Among the policies, it urged the President to use the bully-pulpit of his office to raise public awareness about them and express American condemnation. It specifically urged him to meet with Nobel laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, who had written him on July 13, stating he was "haunted by what I know of Sudan," calling it a "genocide" and asking for a meeting "to discuss this urgent matter further." (It was to Dr. Wiesel that President Clinton made a public pledge in April 1999: "I will do my best to make sure that something like [the 1994 Rwanda genocide] does not happen again in Africa.")

Actions in the fall offered some encouragement that American policy would change. On November 9, 1999, several hundred leaders of religious and human rights groups convened in the Senate to set a strategy on Sudan. They launched an international divestment campaign against Talisman Energy (a Canadian investor in Khartoum's new pipeline), supported by Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. A large interfaith coalition also petitioned for U.S. action on providing food aid, blocking American investments of foreign companies in Sudan, and other initiatives to stop the genocide. The Senate unanimously passed the Sudan Peace Act in late November 1999.

More recently, however, the Clinton Administration appears to be responding to pressure from forces within the business and non-governmental relief sectors that advocate "engaging" Khartoum, rather than treating it as a pariah. This is a perennial foreign policy question: whether to engage in the hope of reforming or to isolate and weaken a government that violates human rights. In this case of ongoing genocide, international sanctions are a moral and political imperative to force Sudan's government to negotiate peace. Pipeline revenues will insulate this otherwise bankrupt regime and allow it to continue to fuel (quite literally) its genocidal war. "

8 years later... a UN force is finally going in...

Interesting and thanks for googling!

The following notable individuals and institutions have declared the conflict in Darfur a genocide (organized chronologically by first statement):

* International Association of Genocide Scholars, 19 February 2004[3]
* Committee on Conscience of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, 6 June 2004[4]
* The United States Congress (House Concurrent Resolution 467), 22 June 2004, passed 422-0 in the House and by unanimous voice vote in the Senate,
declaring state-sponsored genocide by the proxy militias known as Janjaweed. Therefore each member of the 108th United States Congress has technically declared that the situation in Darfur is a genocide. All but three members of the 109th United States Congress voted in favor of the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act, a law signed by President Bush in October 2006 that restated the findings of genocide. Additional individual statements by members of the US Congress are noted below.[5][6]
* US Sen. Russell Feingold, 22 July 2004[7]
* US Secretary of State Colin Powell, 9 September 2004[8]
* US President George W. Bush, 9 September 2004[9] Restated
declaration in June 2005[10] and in a meeting with activists from the Save Darfur Coalition, 28 April 2006[11]

Whoever it was that said Wiesel was probably correct by this. Funny, the previous Congress beat both Powell and Bush to the punch.

Looking at the "Powell and Bush citations" seems a tad different in the 'notes':

# 8 U.S. Calls Killings In Sudan Genocide by Glenn Kessler and Colum Lynch (The Washington Post) 10 September 2004
#9 President's Statement on Violence in Darfur, Sudan (The White House) 9 September 2004

In any case, seems that Americans were pretty much at the forefront of calling it what it is.

Interesting information SF.

well, when you said Cypress was a good googler... I just kind of had to compete for the title of King of all Googlers....

I knew Weisel had been tracking Darfur for a while. He was with Clooney when he went to the UN a couple years ago... so I googled his ass to see if he had made any comments earlier. I AM DA KING!!!

:king:

well, when you said Cypress was a good googler... I just kind of had to compete for the title of King of all Googlers....

I knew Weisel had been tracking Darfur for a while. He was with Clooney when he went to the UN a couple years ago... so I googled his ass to see if he had made any comments earlier. I AM DA KING!!!

:king:

LOL!

and before anyone says to the contrary... NO... I am not trying to blame Clinton.

I blame everybody. In your own article it said that "business interests" seemed to begin to sway things the other way. Sometimes I start to think that AHZ's rantings aren't really that crazy, other than his racism and anti-semitism. And then I get scared because if I start thinking that, I could become asshat.

Anyway, to Runyon's point that it was America who first called it what it was, who else is going to? Regardless of what Canadians and the French and whoever else say about America, you are not going to find France charging into the middle of a genocide. They didn't do it when we completely fell down on Rhwanda did they? No, they jsut like to feel good about themselves by saying America did this and America did that. All true, and I am the first American to say so.

But, what did you do? That's when it gets quiet.

One Would Think Egypt Would Speak?

Not.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1186066367980&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

'Egyptians killed 4 Sudanese trying to cross border'
JPost.com Staff, THE JERUSALEM POST Aug. 2, 2007

Egyptian soldiers killed four Sudanese refugees near the Egypt-Israel border overnight Wednesday in full view of IDF troops, a shaken-sounding IDF soldier said in an interview with Channel 10, Thursday evening.

According to the soldier, female IDF troops operating night vision devices identified several refugees approaching the border in an attempt to infiltrate Israel and alerted other soldiers who arrived after a few minutes in an army jeep.

However, Egyptian troops who also discovered the refugees, fired upon them, immediately killing two and wounding a third. A fourth refugee ran towards the fence and an IDF soldier stretched out his hands, trying to help him cross.

At that point, the soldier recalled, two Egyptian soldiers arrived and started pulling at the refugee's legs.

"It was literally like we were playing 'tug of war' with this man," the soldier said. The soldier eventually loosened his grip on the man, fearing the Egyptians would shoot him.

"They were aiming loaded weapons straight at us, I was afraid they were going to shoot us," he said.

The Egyptians then carried the man several meters away from the border fence, and proceeded to beat him and another wounded refugee to death with stones and clubs.

"What happened there yesterday was a lynch. These are not men, they're animals. They killed him without even using firearms," the soldier said. "We just heard screams of pain and the sounds of beatings. Then the screams stopped."

The entire event was caught on IDF tapes, but, the soldier said, his commanders, who were not at the site, would not dare watch them.

The entire incident took place on the Egyptian side of the border, IDF sources told Israel Radio later Thursday evening.

A Channel 10 commentator said the channel preferred not to show the tape, so as not to cause a diplomatic row with Egypt.

Egyptian authorities said that they
would investigate the incident.

That certainly aids discussion. So, logic would be if one basically disagrees with the administration, it's always wrong? Same with the next, block anything they are trying to win diplomatically, simply so THEY lose, :gives: about the country or what good they might be trying to accomplish?

The bush Administration is trying to accompolish some good ?

I blame everybody. In your own article it said that "business interests" seemed to begin to sway things the other way. Sometimes I start to think that AHZ's rantings aren't really that crazy, other than his racism and anti-semitism. And then I get scared because if I start thinking that, I could become asshat.

Anyway, to Runyon's point that it was America who first called it what it was, who else is going to? Regardless of what Canadians and the French and whoever else say about America, you are not going to find France charging into the middle of a genocide. They didn't do it when we completely fell down on Rhwanda did they? No, they jsut like to feel good about themselves by saying America did this and America did that. All true, and I am the first American to say so.

But, what did you do? That's when it gets quiet.

Darla, I am correct. And I all advocate regarding jews is telling them no on the global monocultural theocracratic model that is embodied in their messianic literature. Not gonna happen. Get over it.

Back