Considerations

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
With all the "Post-Apocalyptic" movies and TV series that have been made and/or broadcast, over the years; I've been wondering how many people would actually be able to survive, for any length of time, if the entire societal structure of the world collapsed?

Whether it be from war, an EMT burst from the sun, large enough asteroid strike (not big enough for mass extinction), pandemic, etc.

How many actually have the skills, to grow their own food, when canned food is gone and factories aren't producing anymore?

How many know how to be able to forage and be able to leave no trail, that leads back to where they're staying?

What happens when the shells run out and there's no gunpowder to make reloads?

There's a lot more questions that could be included; but this should be enough to get the idea across.

With all the "Post-Apocalyptic" movies and TV series that have been made and/or broadcast, over the years; I've been wondering how many people would actually be able to survive, for any length of time, if the entire societal structure of the world collapsed?

Whether it be from war, an EMT burst from the sun, large enough asteroid strike (not big enough for mass extinction), pandemic, etc.

How many actually have the skills, to grow their own food, when canned food is gone and factories aren't producing anymore?

How many know how to be able to forage and be able to leave no trail, that leads back to where they're staying?

There's a lot more questions that could be included; but this should be enough to get the idea across.
Well if it was an event like an asteroid landing or Yellowstone Park erupting, the Sun would obscured or even totally blocked for many months or years. I really couldn't see the point being in a Mad Max world that was pitch black and cold as fuck.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Well if it was an event like an asteroid landing or Yellowstone Park erupting, the Sun would obscured or even totally blocked for many months or years. I really couldn't see the point being in a Mad Max world that was pitch black and cold as fuck.

There's always Barter Town.

Well I was raised on a farm and I learned how to raise crops and grow fruits and vegetables and how to preserve food stuffs via smoking and canning though those skill have atrophied so I'd hate to be put to the test. I also learned wood craft as a kid but again those skills have atrophied.

As for making black powder I memorized that formula a long time ago but finding salt peter and sulfur can be problematic. You can extract salt peter from animal urine but the quality is low so for practical purposes I'd have to hike to eastern Kentucky to find mineral deposits of either. Now if you could find an abandoned laboratory or chemical supplier that had not been raided both would be easily available but producing black powder in a reliable form is more difficult and dangerous then might be assumed. Sulfur is definitely easier to find as you can usually find that near coal deposits or hot springs. If I had access to chemicals I wouldn't bother with black powder but would make gun cotton (smokeless powder) and you could make a shit load of mercury fulminate from an old mercury switch for primers but again if chemical supplies were available in an abandoned lab I'd use lead azide. You can make lead azide by mixing lead acetate with sodium azide and precipitating it.

Last edited:
I would imagine having knowledge of chemistry would make you a very valuable person in a post apocalyptic world. So would engineering skills.

But if you look at projected maps, it wouldn't be the entire world; even with Yellowstone erupting, it would be like a wide belt around the world.

I also mentioned some other scenarios, so expand your mind and consider the possibilities.

Well I was raised on a farm and I learned how to raise crops and grow fruits and vegetables and how to preserve food stuffs via smoking and canning though those skill have atrophied so I'd hate to be put to the test. I also learned wood craft as a kid but again those skills have atrophied.

As for making black powder I memorized that formula a long time ago but finding salt peter and sulfur can be problematic. You can extract salt peter from animal urine but the quality is low so for practical purposes I'd have to hike to eastern Kentucky to find mineral deposits of either. Now if you could find an abandoned laboratory or chemical supplier that had not been raided both would be easily available but producing black powder in a reliable form is more difficult and dangerous then might be assumed. Sulfur is definitely easier to find as you can usually find that near coal deposits or hot springs. If I had access to chemicals I wouldn't bother with black powder but would make gun cotton (smokeless powder) and you could make a shit load of mercury fulminate from an old mercury switch for primers but again if chemical supplies were available in an abandoned lab I'd use lead azide. You can make lead azide by mixing lead acetate with sodium azide and precipitating it.

Thanks; because this is the kind of input I had hoped for.
I could imagine people resorting back to crossbows and hand held bows.

I would imagine having knowledge of chemistry would make you a very valuable person in a post apocalyptic world. So would engineering skills.

Absolutely; because you can train just about anyone how to shoot a gun or use a bow, but keeping things working would be at a premium.

Back