Crazy Apartment Rents

You should reference this to cawacko, I don't live in San Francisco, so I would have no need!

No, you are the one that attempted to claim this is capitalism at work- It is not. It is government creating bad policy thinking they are doing good, that have caused the high rents.

Those people have way more money than Damo
They have way more money than me too. I like it here in Dublin. It may not be the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Coast in Southern California but it doesn't exactly suck...and housing here is reasonable. I can get a 2,000 sq.ft. home for $225,000 and our schools are awesome. Why a high school education from Dublin is equal to a degree from Alabama or LSU....though that probably isn't saying much. :)

They have way more money than me too. I like it here in Dublin. It may not be the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Coast in Southern California but it doesn't exactly suck...and housing here is reasonable. I can get a 2,000 sq.ft. home for $225,000 and our schools are awesome. Why a high school education from Dublin is equal to a degree from Alabama or LSU....though that probably isn't saying much. :)
Yeah same price we get championship football
Dork
You had a gpa so low you couldn't get into Ohio slow

I have money because I don't waste it on stupid apartments in a "special" area. Stupid people who waste their money for show or status will not have money for long.

It's a quality of life issue. If you're relatively young and don't have a family most want to live in a more urban environment rather than a sleepy family oriented suburb. If you do choose to live in SF and work 30 miles or more away living near the freeway is often important. If you work for companies like Google, Apple, Facebook etc. that have private buses that drive people from SF to and from work living near their bus stops can be important as well. And living in a high tech building probably appeals to some techies and is worth the premium.

Ultimately you are going to be paying a lot to live in SF, that's just a fact of life.

I have money because I don't waste it on stupid apartments in a "special" area. Stupid people who waste their money for show or status will not have money for long.

You've got to spend money to make money. If I got a job at Google, there's no way a $2k a month apartment would stop me from accepting. It would be retarded to refuse such a job because of high rent. It's not a show or status thing, that's where the jobs are.

That depends. People said similar things to me when I moved to Dublin cause I definitely pay a premium to live here for housing and the taxes are higher (though certainly nothing like the Bay area) but between the excellent public services we get here and the fact that I saved a lot of money in commuting since I now only live a couple of miles from work all added up to making financial sense and I have a better standards of living plus I save about 4 to 5 hours a week in commute times.

It's a quality of life issue. If you're relatively young and don't have a family most want to live in a more urban environment rather than a sleepy family oriented suburb. If you do choose to live in SF and work 30 miles or more away living near the freeway is often important. If you work for companies like Google, Apple, Facebook etc. that have private buses that drive people from SF to and from work living near their bus stops can be important as well. And living in a high tech building probably appeals to some techies and is worth the premium.

Ultimately you are going to be paying a lot to live in SF, that's just a fact of life.

I choose to live far away from the city for a reason. I wouldn't live in SF even if I had a job there.

You've got to spend money to make money. If I got a job at Google, there's no way a $2k a month apartment would stop me from accepting. It would be retarded to refuse such a job because of high rent. It's not a show or status thing, that's where the jobs are.

I would live, as I do now, outside the city.

That depends. People said similar things to me when I moved to Dublin cause I definitely pay a premium to live here for housing and the taxes are higher (though certainly nothing like the Bay area) but between the excellent public services we get here and the fact that I saved a lot of money in commuting since I now only live a couple of miles from work all added up to making financial sense and I have a better standards of living plus I save about 4 to 5 hours a week in commute times.
You and I measure the standard of living differently.

Back