Cute dog picture

There is a world of difference between an aliphatic hydrocarbon such as butane and an aromatic organic compound like TBHQ. Saying that it is a form of butane is nonsense.

200px-Tert-butylhydroquinone.png

150px-Butane.svg.png

All McNuggets not created equal

All McDonald’s nuggets are not created equal.

U.S. McNuggets not only contain more calories and fat than their British counterparts, but also chemicals not found across the Atlantic.

American McNuggets (190 calories, 12 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat for 4 pieces) contain the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. They also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, “an anti-foaming agent” also used in Silly Putty.

By contrast, British McNuggets (170 calories, 9 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat for 4 pieces) lists neither chemical among its ingredients.

American Beef: Why is it Banned in Europe?

Most U. S. beef cattle are implanted with synthetic hormones in feedlots prior to slaughter. On January 1, 1989 the European Economic Community (EEC) placed a ban on hormone-treated U. S. meat, preventing U. S. meat products from being sold in any European nations. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has challenged the ban and accused the EEC of unfair trade practices, but the action of European governments raises some important questions about American meat.

All McNuggets not created equal

All McDonald’s nuggets are not created equal.

U.S. McNuggets not only contain more calories and fat than their British counterparts, but also chemicals not found across the Atlantic.

American McNuggets (190 calories, 12 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat for 4 pieces) contain the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. They also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, “an anti-foaming agent” also used in Silly Putty.

By contrast, British McNuggets (170 calories, 9 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat for 4 pieces) lists neither chemical among its ingredients.

American Beef: Why is it Banned in Europe?

Most U. S. beef cattle are implanted with synthetic hormones in feedlots prior to slaughter. On January 1, 1989 the European Economic Community (EEC) placed a ban on hormone-treated U. S. meat, preventing U. S. meat products from being sold in any European nations. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has challenged the ban and accused the EEC of unfair trade practices, but the action of European governments raises some important questions about American meat.

That's got nothing to do with the point I'm making, for my sins, I have a degree in chemistry albeit gained many moons ago. I'm just trying to point out some elementary organic chemistry regarding the difference between aliphatic and aromatic organic compounds.

As regards European rules, we don't allow beef injected with growth hormones or indeed any genetically modified foodstuffs such as soya and maize. The US has tried to take us to task about these products to the World Trade Organisation many times without success, I doubt they will give up though.

I have heard that many times when you experience gastric problems, loose stools, or cramping after eating food from anywhere, even your own kitchen, can mean you may very well be suffering from some sort of food poisoning from that food.

We worry so much about this stupid $hit and yet will stand at the back of the busses at a bus station, or hang out on the busy streets of any large city and breathe in the exhaust fumes from the vehicles and not blink an eye.

So go after McDonalds if it makes you feel better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/13/mcdonalds-happy-meal-photos-6-months_n_761364.html

One does have to be careful what they eat. ;)

I know we've have our differences and I don't mean to be critical but that is something you should never say to a man. :palm:
Uhhh no woman ever said that to me Apple.

In fact, I have it on good word from other women that there are only four kinds of men in this world.

Small
Medium
Large and....
....OH MY GOD!

Wanna bet?

McNuggets_small.jpg

But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid)

http://www.alnyethelawyerguy.com/al_nye_the_lawyer_guy/2007/03/so_what_really_.html
It's also used as a stabilizer in styrene and polyester monomers, as well as, quite a few organic peroxide blends. Also, to call it related to butane is one hell of a stretch. Butane is a aliphatic organic compound where as TBHQ is a siginificantly more complex aromatic compound derived from hydroquinone. About the only thing TBHQ has in common with butane is that it does have a four carbon chain bonded in the meta position to a phenolic ring. I the world of organic chemistry butane has about as much in common with TBHQ as an elephant does with a jelly fish.

To say you've been poisoned at McD's cause they use TBHQ as a stabilizer is a bit of a stretch. It's used in ppm levels where as it's LD 50 (lethal dose 50%) is about 1000 mg/kg of body weight. That essentially means it's not toxic as a 100 Kg man would have to eat about 100 g (~ 3.5 oz) to acheive a toxic dose. See portion of study below;

"2.1.1.3 Humans

Human subjects (males) received TBHQ under the following
conditions: (1) a gelatin capsule containing 150 mg TBHQ; (2) a
mixture of TBHQ (2%) in corn oil and graham cracker crumbs, equivalent
to a dose of 125 mg TBHQ; (3) 100 mg dissolved in cottonseed oil
contained in a gelatin capsule; (4) 20 g of mixture containing TBHQ,
2% cottonseed oil and 2% confectioners' sugar in graham cracker
crumbs. Doses of TBHQ ranged from 20 to 70 mg. Subjects one, two and
three drank milk immediately after ingesting test material; subject
four ate doughnuts and drank coffee.

Urine was collected from subjects 24 hours before dosing and
during the 72-hour period after dosing. Blood was collected by
veni-puncture at 3 or 5 and 24 hour after-dosing. Clinical
observations were made immediately before ingestion and 3 to 6 hours
after, and consisted of blood pressure, pulse response, condition of
pharynx, conjunctivae and pupils and neurological effects.
Haematological studies consisted of haemoglobin, cell volume, WBC,
differentials, reticulocyte and platelet counts, and total protein.
Urinalysis consisted of SpGr, albumin, reducing sugars, ketone bodies,
occult blood, pH and sediment. Levels of TBHQ in serum and metabolites
of TBHQ in urine were also determined.

There was no evidence of any systemic effect following ingestion
of TBHQ. No significant changes were observed in haematological
studies or urinalysis. Examination of urine indicated that TBHQ was
excreted as the o-sulfate and o-glucuronide conjugates (ratio
approximately 3:1). These were mainly recovered during the first 24
hours. No free TBHQ was detected at any time. The manner of ingestion
had a marked effect on the proportion of the dose recovered from
urine. TBHQ administered by methods 1 and 3 resulted in only 22-4% of
the dose being recovered in the urine, whereas method 2 resulted in
90-100% recovery. In all cases, the same metabolic products were
present in urine. High recoveries of TBHQ metabolites in urine were
accompanied by a serum level of 31-37 mg TBHQ/litre at 3 hours for
subject two, compared to 4-12 mg/litre for subjects one and three. At
24 hours these levels had fallen to 15 mg/litre for subject two and
2-12 mg/litre for subjects one and three (Astill et al., 1967c)."

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v040je02.htm

Last edited:
That's got nothing to do with the point I'm making, for my sins, I have a degree in chemistry albeit gained many moons ago. I'm just trying to point out some elementary organic chemistry regarding the difference between aliphatic and aromatic organic compounds.

As regards European rules, we don't allow beef injected with growth hormones or indeed any genetically modified foodstuffs such as soya and maize. The US has tried to take us to task about these products to the World Trade Organisation many times without success, I doubt they will give up though.
You're right about the chemistry and, as I also pointed out, TBHQ isn't really toxic.

There is some legitimacy in the US claims against the EEU. A lot of the legislation opposing GMC's is irrational and based on emotion and not fact or sound scientific study. I'm no fan of GMC's but not for the uninformed reasons that most people give. The problem I have GMC's is that it pushes us further into monocultural agriculture practices. One only has to look at the history of the great potato famine of Ireland to see the danger of that practice. Large scale agricultural production of just a single species is not a sustainable practice. The cost vs the ROI in equipment and chemicals that are needed to sustain these practices are not economically viable for a lot of farmers. The margins their business exist on are to slim and to dependent on the cost of specialized seed and chemicals from the big Ag companies not to mention market volatility for their produce. Farmer's would be making the same mistake with GMC's that they now do with their over reliance on chemcial fertilizers and pesticides.

On topic here, my wife has been rather taken lately with the idea of putting our cats in Halloween get ups. Cats, by nature of being cats, are not as enthralled with the idea as she is and to date she has met with little success. I simply try to avoid the subject all together, because I think it's fucking dumb.

Uhhh no woman ever said that to me Apple.

In fact, I have it on good word from other women that there are only four kinds of men in this world.

Small
Medium
Large and....
....OH MY GOD!

You know the old saying, "Trust but verify." I'll have to verify that with usaloyal2theend. :)

On topic here, my wife has been rather taken lately with the idea of putting our cats in Halloween get ups. Cats, by nature of being cats, are not as enthralled with the idea as she is and to date she has met with little success. I simply try to avoid the subject all together, because I think it's fucking dumb.

Aw, they can stand it long enough to take a picture at least.

I know someone who just had her poodle dyed orange and got up like a pumpkin, wish there was a picture to show.

Back