Daytona 500.

Poor Jimmy. The guy can't catch a break. He has won multiple championships, set all kinds of NASCAR records, and people still say, "Jimmy Who?" Think you're talking about the football coach with good hair... whatever. I like Jimmy, he just goes out there and wins races when he has a good car. His crew chief is the best in the business. But.... haters gonna hate! lol

I enjoy NASCAR, but I don't have a "favorite driver" anymore. I am a former Earnhardt fan, before that, I was a Davey Allison fan, before that, a Neil Bonnet fan... my daughter joked after Earnhardt died... "Daddy, maybe you should root for Jeff Gordon?" So now, I watch and follow but I don't have a so-called "favorite." There are several drivers I like, Danica, Dale Jr., Keselowski, Montoya... and there are drivers I hate, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart... and then, there are some I just like to poke fun at, but I don't have anything against, like Jeff Gordon.

At the start of the race, the announcer on the radio was speculating that Danica might 'team up' with some of the guys behind her to pass Gordon who was leading.... I said... Nah, Danica would never do that to Jeff... the women always stick together!! *sh-boom-boomp!* ...Hey, first time in history, two women started on the front row at Daytona! (I'll be here all week)

Okay.... My complaint! The guy who gave the orders to start the engines! Did no one besides me find that extremely offensive? The usual phrase is; "Gentlemen, start your engines!" Well, this guy decided to replace "Gentlemen" with "Drivers," but he also had the bright idea to ADD "and Danica!" to the end! So what he said was: "Drivers, and Danica, start your engines!" As if Danica were not a "driver!" Was he saying, because she was a woman, she wasn't a driver? That's what it sounded like.

I was glad to see Danica finish in the Top 10, and actually led the race for a while. It would have been awesome to see her win, but I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect, the fact that she started on the poll, led, and finished at all, much less in the Top 10, is pretty freaking amazing.

My thoughts are the opposite Dixie, beween Johnson's absolute dominance of the sport and NASCAR's over exposure I've lost a lot of interest in it. I'm pretty much back to being an open wheel fan.

My thoughts are the opposite Dixie, beween Johnson's absolute dominance of the sport and NASCAR's over exposure I've lost a lot of interest in it. I'm pretty much back to being an open wheel fan.

Well, I suppose it's in my DNA to be a fan. My dad and uncle both raced in their younger days. My dad was actually good friends with Donnie Allison, I think I've told the story before, but they were supposed to go together up to Indy to learn how to drive Indy cars, but my dad was burned severely working on his car, and Donnie had to go alone. Later, Donnie Allison would make history as the first driver to compete in the Coke 600 and the Indy 500 on the same day. Our family grew up in racing, going to the races, going to each other's houses, following the sport when it wasn't on television very often.

Yes, Johnson has been dominating the sport lately, and that's how it goes in NASCAR. Earnhardt once dominated, Elliot dominated, Jeff Gordon dominated, Bobby Allison dominated, Richard Petty... the list goes on and on. Things change, the sport isn't the same as it was when I was a kid, the cars are completely generic, nothing is "stock" about them except the logo on the front. It's not as exciting as it once was, simply because of this, in my opinion.

NASCAR has a lot of problems, and they are notorious for tinkering with the cars and rules, many times, to their own detriment. I think they have weakened the engines so much to bring down the speed, they have turned races into follow the leader, no one can pass. They've also made aerodynamic changes which are going to keep them from being able to raise the speed. I liked things the old way, it was a "self-cleaning" sport, the crazy idiots crashed and burned and we never heard from them again, now NASCAR protects the species.

Okay.... My complaint! The guy who gave the orders to start the engines! Did no one besides me find that extremely offensive? The usual phrase is; "Gentlemen, start your engines!" Well, this guy decided to replace "Gentlemen" with "Drivers," but he also had the bright idea to ADD "and Danica!" to the end! So what he said was: "Drivers, and Danica, start your engines!" As if Danica were not a "driver!" Was he saying, because she was a woman, she wasn't a driver? That's what it sounded like.

Update: This was actor, James Franco. Figures it was a pinhead actor!

This is why actors act and writers write.

I figured some racist must have won.

I saw on the news that a bunch of hillbillies got hurt? I didn't know if they meant butthurt or real injuries, cause you know how whiny they all are down there. Just the kind who create a big breaking news story for a case of mass butthurt. I really wasn't paying attention. Hope it's nothing serious!

I saw on the news that a bunch of hillbillies got hurt? I didn't know if they meant butthurt or real injuries, cause you know how whiny they all are down there. Just the kind who create a big breaking news story for a case of mass butthurt. I really wasn't paying attention. Hope it's nothing serious!

What a pathetic hate filled person you are. You are so full of bigotry

Yeah some of them got more than they expected from their ticket price.

I can imagine some of them. Yep Jimmys alternator got me right there.

2/25/2013 - The crashes are still the best part about NASCAR.

:woot:

ABSOLUTELY!

I usually DVR the race so I can skip through the commercials...and because the wife won't let me watch while she's awake. Sometimes that leads to me glimpsing headlines on the net before the race is over, and the best kind of headline to glimpse is "Horrific crash at blah blah blah" because then I know it's going to be an exciting race when I get around to it.

What a pathetic hate filled person you are. You are so full of bigotry

Her asswipe comment would be like someone making a comment, after Sandy Hook, that it was reported that some those snooty New Yorkers were complaining about some broken water pipes and temporarily losing power

I like local races, my girlfriend does the demolition derby every year, but maybe not next year. She has kids now and got pretty beat up last race, so she is thinking retirement till kids are grown :)

Friends of our were in the 28th row, engine hit people in front of them, front row. He said it was more than he expected.

Back