Death Penalty for Penn State?

And I agree. I attempted earlier to explain what I thought Joe Pa was thinking, and I got hammered by WB, who perceived my comments as 'facilitating' the actions or something. I want to make it clear, that was never my intention. I merely wanted to discuss WHY the man did what he did, not whether it was appropriate, it obviously wasn't. I know from close personal experience with friends, people do 'block out' things like this, in order to avoid the uncomfortable confrontation or consequence. I think that is precisely what happened here. I think Paterno simply convinced himself the allegations weren't true, or weren't that big of a deal, and 'blocked out' the evidence that was slapping him in the face. We look at this from the outside, and we can't rationalize how the man could have done this, but we're not a legendary icon of football, lording over a football juggernaut where we have built a life-long career. Haven't you heard stories of children who were sexually abused by one parent, while the other parent KNEW it was happening and chose to do nothing? This happens all the time in society, and I think that is exactly the case here. Jo Pa simply ignored what he should have acted upon, and I think he did so because of his devotion and love of the school... much the same as the 'blind' parent in the aforementioned example.
I know what it's like to be in a position of "Protect the program" or do the right thing. I worked for a company for ten years that was developing a unique manufacturing process. About 8 years in the principles of the company ran low on capital and could no longer finance operations so they sold their interest to another group of investors. Things went screwy real quick. Money that should have been available for day to day production operations began running short and other odd things. Then we started getting calls from investors wanting to know if we knew when the company was going public. Some of my colleagues did some investigating and discovered that the three principles of our company were selling stocks in our company to investors in New York. The only problem is that the investors were told the money was going into upscaling our plant but we never saw any of it. We also were concerned that they weren't legally registered to sell stocks to the public. To make a long story short the six key people running this plant, of which I was one, had a meeting. Three of us, including myself wanted to call the authorities cause we believed these guys were playing a con game. The other three didn't. They wanted to protect our opration. Their first concern was that they and everyone else would lose their jobs and they wanted to protect their careers an jobs. So behind their backs myself and another colleague called the authorities and provided them the information we had and the names of some of the investors we believed had been conned. When all was said and done and hte investigations completed our plant was closed down and these three goons were arrested, eventually convicted and served time. Turned out they were mobsters in the New York Gambino family working out of Florida.

So I ended up losing my high paying job as did others but I never lost any sleep over it. Particularly after the investigation when we found out that these crooks has stolen over 3 million of investors money. Had we not acted and did the right thing they certainly would have stolen more. So I passed that test. I did the right thing knowing it could cost me my job. It also took me about 5 years to get back to where I was career wise and financially when this all happened. God rot the bastards. Having said that. There were some very good people I worked with who would have allowed this to continue so that they could keep their jobs. In my view they failed this test.

Penn State takes down Paterno statue as school braces for NCAA sanctions

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/paterno-statue-penn-state-123528628.html

115110_600.jpg

Well it looks like PSU will recieve a drastic cut in scholarships and a bowl ban for 2 years but not the death penalty. Their rational for not giving the death penalty is that it is for a program on probation which commits another serious infraction.

Well it looks like PSU will recieve a drastic cut in scholarships and a bowl ban for 2 years but not the death penalty. Their rational for not giving the death penalty is that it is for a program on probation which commits another serious infraction.

I was just reading about the sanctions. It is a 4 year bowl ban, loss of 20 scholarships for 4 years, 5 years of probation, a $60 million fine, and vacating all wins from 1998 to 2011. They also are letting all the current players transfer with no loss of eligibility.

Its not the death penalty, but it is a pretty serious pounding. And Bobby Bowden is the new Div 1 winningest coach.

I actually agree with the NCAAs decision here. I thought about it back when we were discussing this, that the death penalty is reserved for a violation committed while on probation. As much as I wish they could have handed it out, this was a fair judgement. I am glad they rescinded Paterno's wins, I had a problem with them letting him claim them already, the past several years, Paterno didn't do much coaching. He was kind of a CINO.

I actually agree with the NCAAs decision here. I thought about it back when we were discussing this, that the death penalty is reserved for a violation committed while on probation. As much as I wish they could have handed it out, this was a fair judgement. I am glad they rescinded Paterno's wins, I had a problem with them letting him claim them already, the past several years, Paterno didn't do much coaching. He was kind of a CINO.

I am not much of a fan of Bobby Bowden either. Too many of his wins came from playing against weak opponents.

But Bear is now in second place, and those records are likely to stand forever. Coaches don't have the sort of long term careers they used to have.

I am not much of a fan of Bobby Bowden either. Too many of his wins came from playing against weak opponents.

But Bear is now in second place, and those records are likely to stand forever. Coaches don't have the sort of long term careers they used to have.

You may be right, but then... Saban may have something to say about that. ;)

You may be right, but then... Saban may have something to say about that. ;)

Saban is a helluva coach. In fact, he is probably the best coach in college football today. But he only has 146 wins on his resume. Bowden has 377. To get there Saban would have to win 14 games a season for 16.5 years. In the last 4 years, impressive though they have been, his average is 12 wins per season. He would have to average 12 wins a season for 20 more seasons to take over Bowden's spot.

He ain't stayin that long. lol

Saban is a helluva coach. In fact, he is probably the best coach in college football today. But he only has 146 wins on his resume. Bowden has 377. To get there Saban would have to win 14 games a season for 16.5 years. In the last 4 years, impressive though they have been, his average is 12 wins per season. He would have to average 12 wins a season for 20 more seasons to take over Bowden's spot.

He ain't stayin that long. lol

Well I can certainly HOPE! :D

Besides... 20 years isn't that long, Saban is still relatively young... it's possible.

Well I can certainly HOPE! :D

Besides... 20 years isn't that long, Saban is still relatively young... it's possible.

He is 60. I doubt he will coach until he is 80. He wants to be able to take the pontoon boat out on the lake with Miss Terry.

I see him stay about another 5 years. Then I hope Kirby Smart takes over as head coach. Which is why, blasphemy though it may be, I won't be upset if Smart takes a head coaching position somewhere. It will give him the experience so he can handle the job at Alabama.

He is 60. I doubt he will coach until he is 80. He wants to be able to take the pontoon boat out on the lake with Miss Terry.

I see him stay about another 5 years. Then I hope Kirby Smart takes over as head coach. Which is why, blasphemy though it may be, I won't be upset if Smart takes a head coaching position somewhere. It will give him the experience so he can handle the job at Alabama.

I don't even want to talk about Post-Saban, I think he has many more good years left. In my life, there have only been three coaches at Alabama who actually understood what it took to live up to the expectation.. Bear, Stallings, and Saban. When I watch Saban coach, I can't help but think Bear would be proud. I had the same feeling about Stallings, but I think Saban has a better 'football' mind than Stallings. I can certainly see Saban winning more NCs at Alabama than Bear... I don't know if that 'goal' is in his mind or not, but if it is, he can certainly reach it. He just nailed down another top recruiting class, and no one can stay on the field with him as it is... the future is bright.

The problem with Alabama has always been the BoD. They almost lost Bear to the Dolphins... They ran Stallings off after he lost to a pathetic MissSt by trying to tell him how to coach... and no doubt, they will probably end up pissing Saban off at some point. But I hope he coaches to 80 and breaks Bowden's record! (By then, bama's enemies will have torched the school and stadium, but...) ;)

I don't even want to talk about Post-Saban, I think he has many more good years left. In my life, there have only been three coaches at Alabama who actually understood what it took to live up to the expectation.. Bear, Stallings, and Saban. When I watch Saban coach, I can't help but think Bear would be proud. I had the same feeling about Stallings, but I think Saban has a better 'football' mind than Stallings. I can certainly see Saban winning more NCs at Alabama than Bear... I don't know if that 'goal' is in his mind or not, but if it is, he can certainly reach it. He just nailed down another top recruiting class, and no one can stay on the field with him as it is... the future is bright.

The problem with Alabama has always been the BoD. They almost lost Bear to the Dolphins... They ran Stallings off after he lost to a pathetic MissSt by trying to tell him how to coach... and no doubt, they will probably end up pissing Saban off at some point. But I hope he coaches to 80 and breaks Bowden's record! (By then, bama's enemies will have torched the school and stadium, but...) ;)

I see him going about another 5 to 7 years and then hanging it up. He will have earned his retirement.

Back