Did you know that a black woman created rock and roll?

As for the old rock. Hell yea. Some of the best ever get down and boogie songs are old rock songs.

I mean Jerry Lee Lewis crushed it in the 50's. I mean you have to put it in the context of his times but compared to even Elvis he was way out there and his live shows were like nothing no one had seen at the time.
Not many whites, except those living in Macon, Ga perhaps...

Many ppl believe he was the white version/knock off of little Richard...........??

Little Richard started out in 55 being a wild & crazy guy-this is his hit single in 64

Then there was Chuck Berry who showed the world what you could do with a guitar. I mean his Johnny B. Goode was 20 years ahead of it's time.

IMHO he was the real KING OF ROCK N ROLL...... The next generation of rockers to follow ALL HAD TO HAVE THAT on their first album, & all played it & other Berry songs...........

I dunno who did any Elvis songs until maybe ZZ Top did viva las vegas.:dunno:

Then there was Chuck Berry who showed the world what you could do with a guitar. I mean his Johnny B. Goode was 20 years ahead of it's time.

She was a massive influence on Chuck Berry, he basically learnt so much from her, do yourself a favour and watch this video!! Elvis stole some of her biggest songs when he started out.

Southern-born, Chicago-raised and New York-made, Sister Rosetta rose from poverty to become one of the world’s most popular gospel singers and the first to cross over successfully into mainstream popular music. She introduced the spiritual passion of gospel into the secular world of rock ’n’ roll, inspiring some of its greatest stars, including Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/sister-rosetta-tharpe-full-episode/2516/

Last edited:

Some odd things on Chuck-when he was @ Chess records doing studio work w/ all the blues legends there they didn't care for his style, which wasn't a traditional blues style.. He wasn't from the delta or even Chicago but grew up listening to other stuff as well, including country..

He learned that flash from T-bone

T-Bone was a huge influence on many later players, including Hendrix

On 7 May 1964, a gaggle of excited passengers alighted on to a rainy disused railway station platform in south Manchester and took their seats for what one of the city's leading music academics says was a "massively culturally significant" gig. The show at Whalley Range's Wilbraham Road station, recorded for Granada TV as the Blues and Gospel Train, saw greats including Muddy Waters and Sister Rosetta Tharpe perform.

The University of Salford's Dr Chris Lee says the show "influenced nearly everyone who saw it" and was as important as the Sex Pistols' 1976 show at the city's Lesser Free Trade Hall, which spurred attendees Morrissey, Mark E Smith and the musicians who would become Joy Division and Buzzcocks into action. The gig was born out of the Blues and Gospel Tour, which was touring Europe for a second year running, having made its debut in 1963.

The line-up was the stuff of musical legend - alongside Waters and Tharpe were Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Cousin Joe, Otis Spann and the Reverend Gary Davis. But while in 1964, the tour was a hit across the country, Dr Lee says the previous year the only British stop was in Manchester.

'Country catching up'

That, he says, is exactly why the TV programme came to be made in the city. "Manchester was the hottest blues and jazz scene in the country and we already had a very big R'n'B appreciation scene. "The Twisted Wheel [nightclub] had been operating since 1961, playing more or less all urban black music and concerts at the Free Trade Hall were always sold out.

In fact, Manchester was the only place that took the first tour in 1963 - what many people don't know is that a minibus came from London to that show and in it were Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards and Brian Jones. They came all that way just to watch the concert. "So by 1964, the country was catching up with Manchester. "Johnnie Hamp, the legendary Granada TV producer, had booked them the year before and did so again, only this time instead of it being in a studio, he had the great idea of staging it in a disused train station in south Manchester."

'Outstanding memory'

Mr Hamp himself says the idea for the station set rolled out of an early show he had done, in which he hired three trains as a backdrop for Little Eva's The Locomotion."Hiring them meant I had a relationship with the railways, so when we decided to do the second blues show outside of a studio, they tipped me off to the derelict station. "I asked if they could throw in a train as well, which we dressed with a cow-catcher and such like, and everything fell into place.
"Of course, the imagery of the trains, the whistle blowing in the distance, is one that is long associated with the blues."

The station was dressed up to look like one from the American South, but typically for Manchester, the weather did not echo that area's dustbowl conditions.
Shortly after the train which carried the audience the few miles south from Manchester's city centre pulled in, a storm lashed the station. Sister Rosetta couldn't believe she was brought to the stage in a horse-drawn carriage - she was used to limousines. Mr Hamp says the downpour would have been his worst memory of the show had it not led to his best. "Sister Rosetta came to me and asked if she could change her opening number to Didn't It Rain?," he said. "When she strapped on her guitar, it was astounding."

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-27256401

A legendary concert with music giants like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards and Brian Jones in the audience.

Back