Disgraceful

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Disgraceful. Richest nation on the planet, and our infant mortality and life expectancy is on a par with developing countries:

US 41st in infant mortality worldwide, 42nd in life expectancy

A baby born in the United States in 2004 will live an average of 77.9 years. That life expectancy ranks 42nd, down from 11th two decades earlier, according to international numbers provided by the Census Bureau and domestic numbers from the National Center for Health Statistics....

Forty countries, including Cuba, Taiwan and most of Europe had lower infant mortality rates than the U.S. in 2004....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070812/ap_on_he_me/life_expectancy;_ylt=Agwppw4i.DB5NoDGSqNEvX9I2ocA

Now take a look at the obesity rate of the US over the last two decades. Gee golly, I wonder why our life expectancy isn't increasing as fast as other countries.

Disgraceful. Richest nation on the planet, and our infant mortality and life expectancy is on a par with developing countries:

Cypress, you could move like 1 or 2 years and go down forty in those statistics. There's a lot of jumbling around in them. The top 40 countries are ALL pretty much developed countries.

Now take a look at the obesity rate of the US over the last two decades. Gee golly, I wonder why our life expectancy isn't increasing as fast as other countries.

The obesity rate probably does have more to do with it than anything else.

Then again, I believe much more Europeans smoke.

If ALL americans had access to preventative health care, they could either treat and manage the symptoms of their obesity (diabetes, heart problems, blood pressure, etc) , or be assisted in dropping weight.

Don't fool yourself into thinking europeans are so healthy. Those mofos smoke like chimneys. A pack of smokes a day, is probably par for the course for your average Parisian.

Cuba, however, is really known as a country for it's outstanding healthcare system compared to the amount of money they have. The WHO ranked it lower than ours, but I'd be willing to bet that was for some arbitrary reason that had little to do with actual health and access.

You forget we spend the most of any country to get healthcare.

Its our diet that makes us fat.

Why is our diet so differant than others?

Of course cypress doesn't tell or know the whole story in how most of the increase in more babies dying is because of multiple births wherein mothers take fertility drugs and end up with being pregnant with multiple babies which have a much higher chance of dying in birth.
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2007/05/28/hlca0528.htm

I don't agree with that, but those stats are the result of the parents choice and not the healthcare system.

As for life expectancy, heart attacks are the number one killer in America by far and we all know that obesity is a much bigger problem here (including among the poor) than in other developed countries. THAT is the reason, not the healthcare system.

If ALL americans had access to preventative health care, they could either treat and manage the symptoms of their obesity (diabetes, heart problems, blood pressure, etc) , or be assisted in dropping weight.

Don't fool yourself into thinking europeans are so healthy. Those mofos smoke like chimneys. A pack of smokes a day, is probably par for the course for your average Parisian.
Heart attacks kill way more than lung cancer. And obesity doesn't just cause heart attacks, but it ALSO increases your rate of death from diabetes complications, to stroke, to dying from a fall and much more.

Of course cypress doesn't tell or know the whole story in how most of the increase in more babies dying is because of multiple births wherein mothers take fertility drugs and end up with being pregnant with multiple babies which have a much higher chance of dying in birth.

I don't agree with that, but those stats are the result of the parents choice and not the healthcare system.

As for life expectancy, heart attacks are the number one killer in America by far and we all know that obesity is a much bigger problem here (including among the poor) than in other developed countries. THAT is the reason, not the healthcare system.

They both have something to do with. Are you saying that our healthcare system is entirely irrelevant to how long we live?

THAT is the reason, not the healthcare system

Well, you looked at the link for three minutes, and came to that conclusion.

The researchers who actually researched this data for months, said access to health care was a major factor, in the article.

They did say Obesity in american contributes to it too.

The obesity rate probably does have more to do with it than anything else.

Then again, I believe much more Europeans smoke.

I agree on average they probably smoke more or are exposed to smoke more, but obesity leads to a far greater amount of diseases and causes of death than does smoking.

They both have something to do with. Are you saying that our healthcare system is entirely irrelevant to how long we live?

No but I believe it's not the main factor and it IS the focal point of the left's attacks, in trying to nationalize healthcare without understanding how much of the difference is attributable to health externals (ie: obesity and fertility drugs) rather than just assume and condemn the private healthcare system.

You forget we spend the most of any country to get healthcare.

Its our diet that makes us fat.

Why is our diet so differant than others?

I understand it is our diet that makes us fat. Our diet is different because on average we are lazy bastards that like fast food because it is quick and easy. We are all about instant gratification.

I just have to say, I think it's very funny how Conservatives will get to America-bashing, in two seconds, when the issue is health care.

The French I guess, are not lazy bastards.

On any other subject, you even imply that French people might have something on us, and a con will beat you down, if they can. But they will do anything, anything, to avoid any hint of universal health coverage. Therefore, Americans= fat, lazy bastards.

I just can't wait to see Republicans run in their "If you're fat, f you, die" platform, what with 75%, that's right, 75% of Americans now projected to be obese by the year 2021.

Yeah, permanent minority status. Well, I'm cool with that. ;)

Of course they both are a factor. No question. As Cypress mentioned, preventative care would go a long way to not only reducing healthcare costs, but also increasing longevity.

The problem is, we spend way to much money on "emergency" care that is not truly "emergency" care. The other problem is, on the whole, our society is not taking care of itself. We eat like shit and do not exercise nearly enough.

Combine preventative care with an exercise plan and dietary plan and you will see a dramatic drop in healthcare expenses down the road and an increase in longevity.

Of course they both are a factor. No question. As Cypress mentioned, preventative care would go a long way to not only reducing healthcare costs, but also increasing longevity.

The problem is, we spend way to much money on "emergency" care that is not truly "emergency" care. The other problem is, on the whole, our society is not taking care of itself. We eat like shit and do not exercise nearly enough.

Combine preventative care with an exercise plan and dietary plan and you will see a dramatic drop in healthcare expenses down the road and an increase in longevity.

Oh, thems fightin words to Dano.

But I agree with your post.

Back