Dixie's Greatest Song of All-Time Contest!

As long as Bohemian bleddy Rhapsody doesn't win, i'll be content.

hahahaha! But why? It is genius level....a very well writen score....opera of sorts...

yeah, okay, its not rock n roll for certain but still genius imho, I mean...this sucker had all that music in his head and wrote it down....hahahaha ....that deserves some credit... :)

I was going to pick "A day in the Life" myself for number one....but I figured a thousand others would too so.... :(

care

It's just that every radio station, music magazine and tv network in the land runs a 'best/favourite single' poll and it always ends up with Bohemian Rhapsody or Imagine coming out on top.

I just hate both of them.

If any justification is required then i submit Brian May's hair. Although, at first glance, having little to do with the actual track, its unearthly presence oozes out of the disc, subliminally frightening dogs and small children. The epitomy of evil.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

Back in May the British selected "Bohemian Rhapsody" as their "favorite single of all time." Now they've done it again, with "BoRhap" taking top honors in the Official UK Charts Company Top 50 #1 Singles of the last 50 years. Allow me to say that I despise "Bohemian Rhopsody" with a fervor that makes me want to crush something, anything British. How perverse can one nation be?

I HATE every possible aspect of that song: from the nonsensical pretentious lyrics, to the nauseating waves of overdubbed choral vocals, to Freddie Mercury's lisping diva lead, to the wretchedly awkward lurching from (bowel) "movement" to (bowel) "movement." Even the rock-out part near the end that I could at least tolerate when it first came out now sounds utterly artificial, strained, grafted-on, and stupid.

I loved, really LOVED the first Queen album, but there was no way to ever take Queen seriously again after that song, which was okay because the group pretty well sucked ass from that point on anyway, but I remember the sick feeling in my stomach when that poodle puke dribbled out of my friend's stereo. I had to go take a nap, and I had really bad dreams.

Back in May the British selected "Bohemian Rhapsody" as their "favorite single of all time." Now they've done it again, with "BoRhap" taking top honors in the Official UK Charts Company Top 50 #1 Singles of the last 50 years. Allow me to say that I despise "Bohemian Rhopsody" with a fervor that makes me want to crush something, anything British. How perverse can one nation be?

I HATE every possible aspect of that song: from the nonsensical pretentious lyrics, to the nauseating waves of overdubbed choral vocals, to Freddie Mercury's lisping diva lead, to the wretchedly awkward lurching from (bowel) "movement" to (bowel) "movement." Even the rock-out part near the end that I could at least tolerate when it first came out now sounds utterly artificial, strained, grafted-on, and stupid.

I loved, really LOVED the first Queen album, but there was no way to ever take Queen seriously again after that song, which was okay because the group pretty well sucked ass from that point on anyway, but I remember the sick feeling in my stomach when that poodle puke dribbled out of my friend's stereo. I had to go take a nap, and I had really bad dreams.

I thought GLF was supposed to be robdawg? This is not Robdawg .. the writing is too complete, too well crafted, too well thought out .. way above Robdawgs ability .. or should I say ..demonstrated ability?
So GLF.. who the hell are you?

I thought GLF was supposed to be robdawg? This is not Robdawg .. the writing is too complete, too well crafted, too well thought out .. way above Robdawgs ability .. or should I say ..demonstrated ability?

Very keen observation, I agree. I think GLF is a new poster here, I don't think it's any of the regulars. ...Just a hunch. ;)

Very keen observation, I agree. I think GLF is a new poster here, I don't think it's any of the regulars. ...Just a hunch. ;)

Unless of course Robdawg ripped that critique off from another message board and C&Ped it here .... :cof1:

Here is an update on the songs currently nominated, and awaiting a second nomination to qualify for the final round.

(bold indicates a qualified song.)

Yesterday- The Beatles
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zepplin
Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones
A Day in the Life - The Beatles
Sound of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel
The Year of the Cat- Al Stewarts
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
One - Metallica
Flesh and Blood - Johnny Cash
Lenny - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ruben's Train -
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
Sandstorm- Darude
Fire, Water, Burn- Bloodhound Gang
Carry on my Wayward Son- Kansas
American pie- don mclean
Green River- Creedence Clearwater
Take it Easy- The Eagles
Good Vibrations- Beach Boys
Hanging on the Telephone- Blondie
All along the Watchtower- Bob Dylan
Ring of Fire- Johnny Cash
Under the bridge- the red hot chili peppers
In my Room- Beach boys
How can I miss you when you wont go away-Dan Hicks
Hallejulah- Leonard Cohen
Back in Black- ACDC
fade to black- Metallica
Hotel California - Eagles
Heaven Beside You - Alice in Chains
Looking For The Perfect Beat -Affrika
You Really Got Me Now- The Kinks
Like a Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan

Four spots remaining for the final round!

Tomorrow will be the last day to nominate new songs to the list, if you haven't voted yet, please do so now. After tomorrow, if we don't have the 10 qualifiers, those who have already voted, can cast a single vote for one song in the list, and it can't be one you originally nominated. The remainder of the qualifying round will be filled as the votes are cast, and we can proceed to the finals.

Okay, the final 4 spots will be determined from the list of songs already nominated. If you have already nominated 3 songs, you can now vote for one of the songs on the list, but it can't be the same song you originally nominated. I will take the first 3 entries posted, as for the fourth spot, I vote for....

All Along the Watchtower- J Hendrix

Back