Does nothingness exist?

Well, that is what Hegel was talking about in the quote. So, obviously you did not understand it.

Flattering as it is to be confused with Hegel it was my “quote” you replied to.

Regarding your own comment, you merely pointed out the obvious in using the word "nothing" or "nothingness" in a comparative sense. The concept of big depends on small, the concept of sweet depends on sour, and so on. About as profound as taking a crap.

Last edited:
By Graham Priest | Graham Priest is a Professor at The Graduate Center of the City University of New York

Nothing is the absence of every thing, every object. It is what remains, as it were, when all objects are removed. So it is no object, no thing. Yet it is: one can think about it, talk about it (we have been). It is the object of various intentional states. So it is an object, some thing. Nothing (noun phrase) both is and is not some thing.

https://iai.tv/articles/nothing-the...t-of-being-graham-priest-auid-2675?_auid=2020

I don't suspect that nothingness exists as long as' we're stuck with somethingness.
Nothingness would be perfection.
Somethingness is an infection on perfection, I would think.

Okay. Back to topic. I can think about nothingness. I do not need a scientist to help me or dismiss the idea.

I can think about a unicorn.

That doesn't mean it is ontologically real.

Something doesn't depend on nothing

Black doesn't depend on white.
Noise doesn't depend on silence.

Heat doesn't depend on cold. The sensation of temperature depends on the rate of atomic vibration. Heat and cold are just human verbal constructs that do not represent the ontological reality.

I don't think absence is the same as nothingness, as Satre wants to suggest.

The concept of nothingness may exist in our mind. But ontologically, nothingness as an entity that exists independently of our mind doesn't seem to exist physically.

I can think about a unicorn.

That doesn't mean it is ontologically real.

Something doesn't depend on nothing

Black doesn't depend on white.
Noise doesn't depend on silence.

Heat doesn't depend on cold. The sensation of temperature depends on the rate of atomic vibration. Heat and cold are just human verbal constructs that do not represent the ontological reality.

I don't think absence is the same as nothingness, as Satre wants to suggest.

The concept of nothingness may exist in our mind. But ontologically, nothingness as an entity that exists independently of our mind doesn't seem to exist physically.

I do not agree.

Flattering as it is to be confused with Hegel it was my “quote” you replied to.

Regarding your own comment, you merely pointed out the obvious. The concept of big depends on small, the concept of sweet depends on sour, and so on. About as profound as taking a crap.

Go fuck yourself. Sick of assholes like you.

Nothingness is the absence of physicality.

I don't think that actually exists anywhere except as a concept in our minds.

Even empty space is pregnant with the vacuum energy, and bubbling with the quantum foam.

I don't think nothingness exists ontologically, except in the Biblical account of Genesis and other creation stories.

We've never seen "nothingness", and Sartre's friend not being in the bar is just absence, not nothingness.

I don't think that actually exists anywhere except as a concept in our minds.

Even empty space is pregnant with the vacuum energy, and bubbling with the quantum foam.

I don't think nothingness exists ontologically, except in the Biblical account of Genesis and other creation stories.

We've never seen "nothingness", and Sartre's friend not being in the bar is just absence, not nothingness.

I do not agree.

Back