Does the cosmos have a reason?

I don't know. I don't need to know in order for there to be a reason. Explain how my lack of knowledge about the purpose means there is no purpose.
I just asked a question. I don't think there's a requirement that you have know the reason.

I personally don't even know if our souped up chimpanzee brains have the cognitive abilities to apprehend any ultimate design or purpose, if any, or even understand it if someone told us the answer.

I just asked a question. I don't think there's a requirement that you have know the reason.

I personally don't even know if our souped up chimpanzee brains have the cognitive abilities to apprehend any ultimate design or purpose, if any, or even understand it if someone told us the answer.
There is no requirement. It has nothing to do with what you think.

We may not apprehend it but there is plenty of evidence to suggest this is not all the result of random forces or "nature" as some hilariously refer to it.

There is no requirement. It has nothing to do with what you think.

We may not apprehend it but there is plenty of evidence to suggest this is not all the result of random forces or "nature" as some hilariously refer to it.
I have a hard to explaining how a rationally intelligible universe randomly emerged out of nothing. But I'm still agnostic about it, because I'm not sure we are even asking the right questions yet.

I have a hard to explaining how a rationally intelligible universe randomly emerged out of nothing. But I'm still agnostic about it, because I'm not sure we are even asking the right questions yet.
It doesnt anymore than the parts of a car randomly fall into place to make an operational automobile. To even suggest such a thing is ridiculous.

This thread is about science and math.

:lolup: You're the one that follows me around. I would barely notice you are here if you didn't relentlessly read my threads and compose responses to me.

...and don't forget when I correct you. That's why you notice me. And it's also why you are so angry all the time. :)

It doesnt anymore than the parts of a car randomly fall into place to make an operational automobile. To even suggest such a thing is ridiculous.

But if you posit someone to create it all...then you must explain from whence THAT being came.

It adds absolutely NO explanatory value.

I don't know. I don't need to know in order for there to be a reason. Explain how my lack of knowledge about the purpose means there is no purpose.

Sure there may be a purpose, but why even suggest one in the first place? What is the purpose of a giraffe? That's the exact same question and see how bizarre it sounds?

But if you posit someone to create it all...then you must explain from whence THAT being came.

It adds absolutely NO explanatory value.
That's been explained already.

It's not my responsibility to add explanatory value. Again what we understand or do t understand has no necessary bearing on what's true.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Funny but when I say that you get bent and tell us all how unappealing that is to you as an explanation.
Why are you so desperate for my approval and validation?

That doesn't mean I neccessarily agree with Nifty. Just that his statement is reasonable

Nifty doesn't lie to me about having sock puppets, and Nifty didn't hilariously claim mathematics are a "physical object"

Sure there may be a purpose, but why even suggest one in the first place? What is the purpose of a giraffe? That's the exact same question and see how bizarre it sounds?
I don't know the purpose of a giraffe. So what? What you need to show is that a giraffe only has a purpose if we know what it is.

That's been explained already.

No, no it hasn't. This is something that CANNOT be explained. it is the infinite regress approach to dealing with Aquinas' First Uncaused Cause argument.

It's not my responsibility to add explanatory value.

You don't have to actually think about anything you believe. No one is expecting you to, but if you propose it as a solution then it should have explanatory value for others. Which is lacks.

Again what we understand or do t understand has no necessary bearing on what's true.

Agreed. But by this reasoning you would have to potentially believe in any number of invisible, unfalsifiable, non-explanatory things which have no evidence for their existence. That's fine if you like that sort of thing. Doesn't seem very valuable to me.

I don't know the purpose of a giraffe. So what?

It's the EXACT SAME QUESTION as "is there a purpose to the cosmos?" In other words it's effectively meaningless and just someone stringing words together in a desperate attempt to sound "deeeeeep" while not really saying anything meaningful, IMHO.

No, no it hasn't. This is something that CANNOT be explained. it is the infinite regress approach to dealing with Aquinas' First Uncaused Cause argument.

You don't have to actually think about anything you believe. No one is expecting you to, but if you propose it as a solution then it should have explanatory value for others. Which is lacks.

Agreed. But by this reasoning you would have to potentially believe in any number of invisible, unfalsifiable, non-explanatory things which have no evidence for their existence. That's fine if you like that sort of thing. Doesn't seem very valuable to me.
Sure it's been explained. You dont like the explanation. I don't care what you like.

Why are you so desperate for my approval and validation?

I'm not. I hold you in extreme disregard. I just like talking about these topics and just because you are incapable of actually debating a point doesn't stop me from discussing the topics.

That doesn't mean I neccessarily agree with Nifty. Just that his statement is reasonable

Except when I espouse the same thing you excoriate me for being a physicalist and belabor how unappealing that kind of view is to you. You never say my position is "reasonable" because you hate me so much you can't even control yourself.

Nifty doesn't lie to me about having sock puppets, and Nifty didn't hilariously claim mathematics are a "physical object"

See? That's your focus on the DEBATOR not the DEBATE. That's probably why you couldn't really hack it in university.

Sure it's been explained. You dont like the explanation. I don't care what you like.

Since I don't have all your ouevre memorized you'll have to remind me what your "solution" is especially in light of the fact that it cannot have a solution except for special pleading.

Just because you don't actually think through your positions does not make them ipso facto correct.

It's the EXACT SAME QUESTION as "is there a purpose to the cosmos?" In other words it's effectively meaningless and just someone stringing words together in a desperate attempt to sound "deeeeeep" while not really saying anything meaningful, IMHO.
And AGAIN just because I do t know the purpose that doesn't mean there isn't .purpose. You need to explain how the purpose of the universe of a giraffe is co contingent upon my knowledge of that purpose.

Back