Does your city have a problem fixing potholes?

I've driven in every State East of the Mississippi and all the States bordering the west bank of the Mississippi and Not one of those States comes close to having roads as bad as Indiana's.

I haven't driven the NJ turnpike in about 12 yrs, but that was worse than a logging road back then!

Oh they use concrete in places as well, and it doesn't fair that much better. Most of the highways are concrete, but only a few of the off roads are. Weirdly the road that's held the test of time, is the old brick portion. Not the smoothest ride, but It doesn't get the potholes, or cracks. If I'm not mistaken though. As you leave Michigan traveling on 75, it changes to asphalt rather then the concrete, once you get into Ohio.
that depends. Most limited access roads are concrete and a mix of concrete and asphalt, on secondary roads but hell even out tertiary and farm access roads are chip and seal. Ohio does a decent job on its roads given the volume of traffic.

That's no pothole though. That's what we call a complete structural failure.:whoa: Unlike a simple pothole, you can imagine the folks there swarming the Capital if they didn't fix that one. Also that would cost more money not being fixed in just a short time, then it does fixing it quickly.

I live in Michigan, and we have some of the worst roads around, thanks to the lakes, and the constant freezing, and thawing. They fixed a road completely a few years back, and it's pretty rough again. No matter how many times you fix them, they just deteriorate to fast.

If, as you claim, the roads were fixed, the problem wouldn't happen again. Fixing it solves the problem. Putting a bandaid on it doesn't do anything but cost money having to put more bandaids on it later.

You realize that was caused by an earthquake last Friday, right?

Yes I have Facebook friends in Anchorage, so it's been brought up. The road failed under stress and collapsed. If you have decent knowledge about road construction, you know the fill underneath is part of the road structure, just as the asphalt is.

Back