Electric cars: too fast, too soon.

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
The problem with electric cars is that America does not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the average driver.

Forget the cost, forget the ecological benefits, forget screwing the countries that produce the lithium for the batteries.

I you own a electric vehicle, you have to have a charger adapted to your home. If you're an apartment dweller, good luck if your bldg. has the facility. And independent units ain't cheap!

Also, those suckers take a LONG time to fully charge.

Case in point: my brother rented a car for two days....the local car rental only had electric cars available. Now with all rentals, you have the option of paying a little extra to bring back the vehicle without having to refill (or in this case, recharge) to the level the car was when dispatched. If not, you do that yourself out of pocket, which most times is cheaper.

However, my brother discovered that in his town there was only one gas station that had recharge facilities. That had limited outlets, so he had to travel to another town, where the recharge took about 40 minutes. Essentially, he ended up paying for another day's rental because he had to wait in line to get that recharge...and that took a long time.

So essentially, the electric car is something regulated to a limited economic level.

Hmm. that 6 year old Ford is starting to look real good!

The emergence of cell towers for portable phones was amazingly fast.
They became commonplace almost overnight.

So far, I don't see the same rapidly developing support for electric vehicles,
but that's what it would take to make them truly viable.

I have to install a Tesla charging station (80 amp fast charge) for a customer next week. I'm not charging a lot for the labor, but the materials alone will cost this guy about $500. The wire by itself is nearly $300 and the whole run is just over 20 feet.

If I were doing it for a living / profit, I would say the job would run about $3000.

I have to install a Tesla charging station (80 amp fast charge) for a customer next week. I'm not charging a lot for the labor, but the materials alone will cost this guy about $500. The wire by itself is nearly $300 and the whole run is just over 20 feet.

If I were doing it for a living / profit, I would say the job would run about $3000.

:whoa:

attachment.php

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698679858349.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698679858349.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 23
The problem with electric cars is that America does not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the average driver.

Forget the cost, forget the ecological benefits, forget screwing the countries that produce the lithium for the batteries.

I you own a electric vehicle, you have to have a charger adapted to your home. If you're an apartment dweller, good luck if your bldg. has the facility. And independent units ain't cheap!

Also, those suckers take a LONG time to fully charge.

Case in point: my brother rented a car for two days....the local car rental only had electric cars available. Now with all rentals, you have the option of paying a little extra to bring back the vehicle without having to refill (or in this case, recharge) to the level the car was when dispatched. If not, you do that yourself out of pocket, which most times is cheaper.

However, my brother discovered that in his town there was only one gas station that had recharge facilities. That had limited outlets, so he had to travel to another town, where the recharge took about 40 minutes. Essentially, he ended up paying for another day's rental because he had to wait in line to get that recharge...and that took a long time.

So essentially, the electric car is something regulated to a limited economic level.

Hmm. that 6 year old Ford is starting to look real good!

When gas cars came around we didn't have gas stations, paved roads!
Trust Capitalism !

What kind and what size of wire are you using?????? Are you using 500 MCM copper?????

I normally assume everybody with time to kill on the internet is retired.

It's sad to think of some of you out there, still actually working.

Still, better you than Nifty.

What kind and what size of wire are you using?????? Are you using 500 MCM copper?????

Nope. #4 THWN. It currently costs just shy of $2.50 a foot. 80 feet will cost about $200. Then the #6 ground and neutral run about $1.75 a foot for another $140. Toss in 40 feet of 1" EMT, plus all the fittings and about $100 for the 80 amp 2 pole breaker.

I normally assume everybody with time to kill on the internet is retired.

It's sad to think of some of you out there, still actually working.

Still, better you than Nifty.

I need the exercise, not the money. That's how I keep busy when I'm trolling the likes of you here on the internet... :awesome:

Nope. #4 THWN. It currently costs just shy of $2.50 a foot. 80 feet will cost about $200. Then the #6 ground and neutral run about $1.75 a foot for another $140. Toss in 40 feet of 1" EMT, plus all the fittings and about $100 for the 80 amp 2 pole breaker.

Why don't you just use a run of #2 aluminum SER cable at $2,50 a foot????

You don't need a raceway to install SER cable.

You cannot use NM or SE cable exposed in an installation. It must be in raceway or in a wall behind a solid surface. In a garage that has a block exterior wall, like the one I'm installing in, you have to run conduit, it has to be more than 24" above the garage floor (below that is a class 1 division 1 hazardous space and I'd have to use rigid and explosion proof everything due to the possibility of gasoline vapors).

You cannot use NM or SE cable exposed in an installation. It must be in raceway or in a wall behind a solid surface. In a garage that has a block exterior wall, like the one I'm installing in, you have to run conduit, it has to be more than 24" above the garage floor (below that is a class 1 division 1 hazardous space and I'd have to use rigid and explosion proof everything due to the possibility of gasoline vapors).

Sounds like you're quoting stuff from the NEC that you don't understand, and that doesn't apply in this case.

Back