Electric cars: too fast, too soon.

Sounds like you're quoting stuff from the NEC that you don't understand, and that doesn't apply in this case.

Your actually correct. Section 500 on hazardous locations doesn't apply. Doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution though so, no harm, no foul. Doesn't change you can't run NM or SE cable exposed.

Your actually correct. Section 500 on hazardous locations doesn't apply. Doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution though so, no harm, no foul. Doesn't change you can't run NM or SE cable exposed.

NM and se can be installed exposed under certain conditions.

The problem with electric cars is that America does not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the average driver.

Forget the cost, forget the ecological benefits, forget screwing the countries that produce the lithium for the batteries.

I you own a electric vehicle, you have to have a charger adapted to your home. If you're an apartment dweller, good luck if your bldg. has the facility. And independent units ain't cheap!

Also, those suckers take a LONG time to fully charge.

Case in point: my brother rented a car for two days....the local car rental only had electric cars available. Now with all rentals, you have the option of paying a little extra to bring back the vehicle without having to refill (or in this case, recharge) to the level the car was when dispatched. If not, you do that yourself out of pocket, which most times is cheaper.

However, my brother discovered that in his town there was only one gas station that had recharge facilities. That had limited outlets, so he had to travel to another town, where the recharge took about 40 minutes. Essentially, he ended up paying for another day's rental because he had to wait in line to get that recharge...and that took a long time.

So essentially, the electric car is something regulated to a limited economic level.

Hmm. that 6 year old Ford is starting to look real good!
I have a client who opted for a Tesla rental when her car was in the shop. She had a nightmare of a time trying to locate a charging station on her 100 mile trip up to the mountains from her Westchester home.

We really aren't set up yet for mass circulation. But there are plenty of people who can own them, and take advantage of the perks. Personally, I would never own one but I would jump on a hybrid if the opportunity arose.

I have a client who loves his leased Tesla, but he charges it in his garage every night at minimal cost. I'm really not sure what the plan would be on a long drive?

I do see value in certain circumstances, though. I believe fleet vehicles in every city could benefit. Typically, they travel short distances all day, and they are garaged at night where charging is feasible. If they couple solar panels into the plan, it could be a great idea.

Every electric vehicle that is used in a beneficial way, is another gas guzzling beast that isn't on the road.

Americans are stupid. In the mid 2000s when gas spiked, Toyota and others did very well while Hummer went out of business and the auto industry crumbled. Everyone wanted tiny, efficient cars.

Then the price of gas came down and everyone ran out and bought pickups and SUVs again. It's going to be very interesting to see how the electric vehicle market plays out.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
The problem with electric cars is that America does not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the average driver.

Forget the cost, forget the ecological benefits, forget screwing the countries that produce the lithium for the batteries.

I you own a electric vehicle, you have to have a charger adapted to your home. If you're an apartment dweller, good luck if your bldg. has the facility. And independent units ain't cheap!

Also, those suckers take a LONG time to fully charge.

Case in point: my brother rented a car for two days....the local car rental only had electric cars available. Now with all rentals, you have the option of paying a little extra to bring back the vehicle without having to refill (or in this case, recharge) to the level the car was when dispatched. If not, you do that yourself out of pocket, which most times is cheaper.

However, my brother discovered that in his town there was only one gas station that had recharge facilities. That had limited outlets, so he had to travel to another town, where the recharge took about 40 minutes. Essentially, he ended up paying for another day's rental because he had to wait in line to get that recharge...and that took a long time.

So essentially, the electric car is something regulated to a limited economic level.

Hmm. that 6 year old Ford is starting to look real good!

When gas cars came around we didn't have gas stations, paved roads!
Trust Capitalism !

When gas cars came around, they weren't mass produced and widely affordable until Ford came up with the idea. By then, paved roads were growing. Since neither you are I have true "capital", I can't trust a system that forces future shock on it's society to only benefit a relative few. The OP stands valid.

Last edited:
attachment.php

:laugh: Good one!

You cannot use NM or SE cable exposed in an installation. It must be in raceway or in a wall behind a solid surface. In a garage that has a block exterior wall, like the one I'm installing in, you have to run conduit, it has to be more than 24" above the garage floor (below that is a class 1 division 1 hazardous space and I'd have to use rigid and explosion proof everything due to the possibility of gasoline vapors).

Damned good exchange. Very informative.

Back