EUTHANASIA

(Excerpt) Two Belgian brothers who were born deaf and were slowly going blind chose to end their lives the way they began them: together. The dual deaths of the identical twins last month marked the first reported double euthanasia of twins worldwide.

Marc and Eddy Verbessem, 45, were inseparable during their lives, the Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws reports. Suffering from an incurable illness, the pair shared a room in their parental home before studying shoe repair and moving in together in a small apartment.

But when Marc and Eddy learned they were slowly going blind in addition to already being deaf, the twins feared losing all possible means of communicating with one another. "The thought of only being able to feel each other was unbearable," Het Laatste Nieuws writes, according to a HuffPost translation.

"Physically, their conditions were strongly deteriorating," Dr. David Dufour, who treated the brothers, explained to VTM. When the brothers learned their bid for euthanasia was accepted, "a weight fell off their shoulders," Dufour added. "They were happy and relieved that a date was set to end their suffering."

Belgium is one of only three countries that allow euthanasia for non-terminally ill patients, the others being Switzerland and the Netherlands. (End)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/marc-eddy-verbessem-belgium-euthanasia_n_2472320.html?ncid

Is euthanasia a basic human right? In cases where the person is paralyzed and unable to end their life without assistance is refusing to help while standing by and watching another human being needlessly suffer considered doing the "greatest good"?

(Excerpt) Two Belgian brothers who were born deaf and were slowly going blind chose to end their lives the way they began them: together. The dual deaths of the identical twins last month marked the first reported double euthanasia of twins worldwide.

Marc and Eddy Verbessem, 45, were inseparable during their lives, the Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws reports. Suffering from an incurable illness, the pair shared a room in their parental home before studying shoe repair and moving in together in a small apartment.

But when Marc and Eddy learned they were slowly going blind in addition to already being deaf, the twins feared losing all possible means of communicating with one another. "The thought of only being able to feel each other was unbearable," Het Laatste Nieuws writes, according to a HuffPost translation.

"Physically, their conditions were strongly deteriorating," Dr. David Dufour, who treated the brothers, explained to VTM. When the brothers learned their bid for euthanasia was accepted, "a weight fell off their shoulders," Dufour added. "They were happy and relieved that a date was set to end their suffering."

Belgium is one of only three countries that allow euthanasia for non-terminally ill patients, the others being Switzerland and the Netherlands. (End)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/marc-eddy-verbessem-belgium-euthanasia_n_2472320.html?ncid

Is euthanasia a basic human right? In cases where the person is paralyzed and unable to end their life without assistance is refusing to help while standing by and watching another human being needlessly suffer considered doing the "greatest good"?
You cheering death again?

You cheering death again?

Its not about cheering death. It is about respect, compassion and not fearing death.

My best example is a comparison between Mamie and Beau.

Mamie was in her 90s and terminally ill. Her family was forced to stand by, helpless, while she suffered horrible pain. It was not as if the suffering accomplished anything, because her condition was terminal.

Beau was also in his 90s. His limbs began to fail him. His liver was shutting down. Any movement caused him pain.

The difference? It took 8 months of constant agony or the deep fog of heavy medications before Mamie finally passed out of this life and to her reward. Beau was given a shot and allowed to avoid months of pain and suffering.

Someday I will join them. I owe my grandmother, Mamie, an apology for not helping her. Beau, my golden retriever, was allowed to die with more dignity and compassion than my grandmother.

Its not about cheering death. It is about respect, compassion and not fearing death.

Mamie was in her 90s and terminally ill. Her family was forced to stand by, helpless, while she suffered horrible pain. It was not as if the suffering accomplished anything, because her condition was terminal.

Beau was also in his 90s. His limbs began to fail him. His liver was shutting down. Any movement caused him pain.

The difference? It took 8 months of constant agony or the deep fog of heavy medications before Mamie finally passed out of this life and to her reward. Beau was given a shot and allowed to avoid months of pain and suffering.

Someday I will join them. I owe my grandmother, Mamie, an apology for not helping her. Beau, my golden retriever, was allowed to die with more dignity and compassion than my grandmother.
So?
You should have done something!!

My mother pegged it some 10 years ago, in the period of her sickness she occasionally considered suicide, the nature of her sickness however left it unclear to us wether she was capable if making that decision.
She had charge of her meds. The run of her home and acces to firearms.
She didnt take her own life.
Therefore she wanted to live.
Under euthanasia laws we could have had her killed against her will at any time , but we didnt!

You liberals think up laws but don't think them through, one size fits all is not the way!

But it's not my issue, my wife and I have come to a very clear agreement with regard to our dignity in life and choice of death.
Which we will cheer when it comes!!

So?
You should have done something!!

My mother pegged it some 10 years ago, in the period of her sickness she occasionally considered suicide, the nature of her sickness however left it unclear to us wether she was capable if making that decision.
She had charge of her meds. The run of her home and acces to firearms.
She didnt take her own life.
Therefore she wanted to live.
Under euthanasia laws we could have had her killed against her will at any time , but we didnt!

You liberals think up laws but don't think them through, one size fits all is not the way!

But it's not my issue, my wife and I have come to a very clear agreement with regard to our dignity in life and choice of death.
Which we will cheer when it comes!!

If someone who can move around wantsto commit suicide, nothing short of commitment to a mental institution will stop them. That is not the issue here.

The issue is whether we force someone to suffer needlessly.

And spare me the "you liberals" nonsense. But, contrary to your claim, I (and many others) have thought this through quite clearly.

EnthanasiePropaganda.jpg

60,000 Reichsmark is what this person suffering from a hereditary defect costs the People's community during his lifetime. Fellow citizen, that is your money too.

If someone who can move around wantsto commit suicide, nothing short of commitment to a mental institution will stop them. That is not the issue here.

The issue is whether we force someone to suffer needlessly.

And spare me the "you liberals" nonsense. But, contrary to your claim, I (and many others) have thought this through quite clearly.
We have shown that liberalism is a house of lies !
Liar , liberal liar!
All liberals are liars!

That's seriously fucked up...........

I think this was their wish. They are sane. There is no coercion by anyone for their inheritance. I believe in this type of euthanasia.

Amen, WinterBorn.

We have shown that liberalism is a house of lies !
Liar , liberal liar!
All liberals are liars!

Do you feel better now? I would love to hear what you think I have lied about on this thread.

Let me know when you are finished with your anti-liberal ranting and want to actually discuss this topic.

This one was a tuff one for me.

They would not have been in pain.

The emotional pain would have been real but the part that bothers me is theymay have discovered after being both blind and deaf that the world they inhabited was not the blank world they imagined.

Becuase there would not be physical pain involved If this decision were left up to JUST ME I would have regiuired they live in their new state for a certain amount of time and see if they truely felt it was horrible.

If you have the seneses of taste, touch and smell you are connected to the world.

You can sign onto a hand and communicate, they can still speak ot others and get their answers by sign touch.

You can enjoy a great meal, the communications of your family and other loved ones, Feel the breeze, smell the flowers, the warmth of a summer sun, the cool waves at the beach, the sand between your toes and even music through the skin.

IF I, If I were king!

I have to admitt I would have made them try the life first.

you may be right.

those last few years often end up giving big bucks to some health industry members.

I believe resaonable people can make these choices but I also fear allowing people to leave the planet merely to avoid emotional stress.

The emotional stress I have lived through in my life always lead in the end to some greater understanding of life.

Its a tuff decision but I think each one is unique and we as thinking people CAN navigate this area.

Back