Ex-Cheney aide gets 10 years in prison in spy case

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
When will Bush commute the sentence?

And why is Cheney saying that the VPs office is not subject to inspection and oversight by federal watchdogs, for proper security protocols? This dude was faxing national security secrets from cheney's office.

Ex-Cheney aide gets 10 years in prison in spy case
Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07PM EDT

NEWARK, New Jersey (Reuters) - A former White House official who took top secret documents from U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's office and gave them to opposition figures in the Philippines was sentenced on Wednesday to 10 years in prison....snip

Philippine-born Leandro Aragoncillo, a U.S. citizen and former Marine, pleaded guilty last year to taking the documents that included details on threats against U.S. government interests and military personnel in the Philippines.

Prosecutors told the court Aragoncillo used a fax machine in Cheney's office to send documents to the Philippines. They said up to 800 classified documents had been compromised by Aragoncillo, as well as the name of a U.S. government source.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1835053120070718

And why is Cheney saying that the VPs office is not subject to inspection and oversight by federal watchdogs, for proper security protocols? This dude was faxing national security secrets from cheney's office.

Wow, I don't remember hearing about this.

Wow, I don't remember hearing about this.
I do, but very slightly mentioned.( like the latest local traffic accident.)

(one of those recollections I wouldn't have been able to prove, so Obvoiusly it didn't happen.) HEH HEH

No wonder they don't want an investigation into how Cheney's office handles classified information! Jesus Christ!

This guy was working in that position from 1999 to 2002 when he moved to counter intel....

Don't assume that the "Cheney Aide" thing is absolutely the most accurate description. The years he worked there, 3 were with AlGore and only part of one with Cheney.

Yeah Gore was VP but it says he used the fax machine in Cheneys office, not Gores office.
did not take long for Cheny to convert him to the dark side I guess..

I think damo was being a bit what he calls disingenious. will have to check my dictionary on that though :)

Whose office was it in 2000?

what does that have to do with it ? the article did not say exactly when the faxing took place only that Cheneys office was used, which leads me to believe Cheney was in there when it happened.

do you have info to the contrary ?

what does that have to do with it ? the article did not say exactly when the faxing took place only that Cheneys office was used, which leads me to believe Cheney was in there when it happened.

do you have info to the contrary ?
Only the fact that the majority of his service he wasn't a "Cheney Aide"... And he didn't even serve a full year in Cheney's office.

Seriously, the facts to jive with the whole angle of the story. Same office, same person different year...

When did he begin faxing the docs? The story is very vague. Once again the fabulous press doesn't care about "Who, what, WHERE, WHEN, and why.."

It's just enough that the guy worked for Cheney.

Only the fact that the majority of his service he wasn't a "Cheney Aide"... And he didn't even serve a full year in Cheney's office.

Seriously, the facts to jive with the whole angle of the story. Same office, same person different year...

When did he begin faxing the docs? The story is very vague. Once again the fabulous press doesn't care about "Who, what, WHERE, WHEN, and why.."

No one suggested this was some high level aid. But, the VPs office is evidently prone to people leaking classified information: Plame, and now this dude. And yet, Cheney won't allow government oversight agencies, to review his office's security protocols. I'd say if anyone's office needs to be reviewed and inspected, it would be Dick's.

Good try, but you really need SF to work up a good, foaming case of faux outrage. lol

Back