Extending Deer Season in south Alabama

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
W

WinterBorn

There is a proposal before the Alabama State legislature to extend the whitetail deer hunting season from 1/31 to 2/15.

The current whitetail population is estimated to be around 2 million animals, and growing.

The revenue generated by hunters and hunting is significant enough to warrant consideration, especially if we can get more out of state hunters coming in and paying higher licencing fees.

I have my fingers crossed. But if our current batch of legislators is anything like those we have had, I don't have a lot of faith in them.

In general, hunting laws have become more and more ridiculous.

There is a proposal before the Alabama State legislature to extend the whitetail deer hunting season from 1/31 to 2/15.

The current whitetail population is estimated to be around 2 million animals, and growing.

The revenue generated by hunters and hunting is significant enough to warrant consideration, especially if we can get more out of state hunters coming in and paying higher licencing fees.

I have my fingers crossed. But if our current batch of legislators is anything like those we have had, I don't have a lot of faith in them.

yum, deer!

It's not really fair to call them deer that far south. They;re like slightly larger than average rats. I hit one going 40 mp and it didn't even scratch my paint.

It's not really fair to call them deer that far south. They;re like slightly larger than average rats. I hit one going 40 mp and it didn't even scratch my paint.

The last deer I got was a doe that weighed 130lbs field dressed.

No, its not a monster. But we sure have a tons of them.

Why in the world would I go to Alabama to hunt runted White Tails when it don't take to much hunting skill to bag a 12 pointer up here in corn country. I've seen the white tailed deer down south. If you like Deer hunting Winter you need to come up here and give it a try. I bet the average 12 pointer in Wisconsin probably has 100#'s on their southern counterparts. More of them too.

Exactly man. Best white tail deer hunting in the US is probably in michigan and Wisconsin. It's pretty damned good in western Ohio too.

yum, deer!

My favorite venison dish is braised ribs. I bread them in flower, season them, brown them in oil, sautee some onions, carrots and celery in the drippings, add some red wine and beef broth, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, some fresh ginger, garlic and lemon grass and throw the ribs back in and let them simmer till they are fall of the bone tender. I'll then remove the ribs to a baking dish and I'll strain the braizing liquid to remove the solids and then I'll remove the fat. I'll then boil the liquid till it reduces by about half and then pour it back over the ribs. I'll then cover the dish and bake the ribs for about 30 minutes. I'll then squeeze the juice of one lime over the ribs and garnish with some sliced green onion. I'll serve that over a bed of wild rice mix (jasmine thai rice is good too) with a healthy portion of the sauce and serve it with a green vegie for a side. There also good served on some new red potatos mashed with some cream, butter and garlic.

I've never had any left overs when I've made it that way.

My favorite venison dish is braised ribs. I bread them in flower, season them, brown them in oil, sautee some onions, carrots and celery in the drippings, add some red wine and beef broth, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, some fresh ginger, garlic and lemon grass and throw the ribs back in and let them simmer till they are fall of the bone tender. I'll then remove the ribs to a baking dish and I'll strain the braizing liquid to remove the solids and then I'll remove the fat. I'll then boil the liquid till it reduces by about half and then pour it back over the ribs. I'll then cover the dish and bake the ribs for about 30 minutes. I'll then squeeze the juice of one lime over the ribs and garnish with some sliced green onion. I'll serve that over a bed of wild rice mix (jasmine thai rice is good too) with a healthy portion of the sauce and serve it with a green vegie for a side. There also good served on some new red potatos mashed with some cream, butter and garlic.

I've never had any left overs when I've made it that way.

I'll try that this fall.

I do a tenderloin medallions on the smoker that will make you slap yo momma.

I'll try that this fall.

I do a tenderloin medallions on the smoker that will make you slap yo momma.
Mmmmmmmm...do you marinade them first or do a dry rub? What do you serve it with? That sounds like it would be awesome on some garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes or some creamy risotto with either a peppercorn or horseradish sauce.

The recipe for the braising liquid for approx 3 to 5# of ribs is. 1 cup red wine, 1x14 oz can beef broth, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 3 to 4 x 1/4" slices of ginger, 3 to 4 cloves garlic and 3 to 4 stems of lemon grass (bruised with the back of a knife). I add the red win first to the sauteed vegies and let that reduce by half, then add rest bring to a boil, add the ribs, cover and reduce to low heat. Let simmer for about 2 to 3 hours. Then bake as directed above.

Mmmmmmmm...do you marinade them first or do a dry rub? What do you serve it with? That sounds like it would be awesome on some garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes or some creamy risotto with either a peppercorn or horseradish sauce.

The recipe for the braising liquid for approx 3 to 5# of ribs is. 1 cup red wine, 1x14 oz can beef broth, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 3 to 4 x 1/4" slices of ginger, 3 to 4 cloves garlic and 3 to 4 stems of lemon grass (bruised with the back of a knife). I add the red win first to the sauteed vegies and let that reduce by half, then add rest bring to a boil, add the ribs, cover and reduce to low heat. Let simmer for about 2 to 3 hours. Then bake as directed above.

The best meal with the tenderloin was when I did the veggies on the grill. Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, a big vidalia onion cooked in foil with a gob of good butter and seasonings, and some grilled peppers.

I have copied your recipe for braising liquid.

Back