Facebook post

Great to hear from you Cawacko. We’ve been slowly coming out of hunkering down (that’s how SE Okies say “sheltering in place”) and getting back to the new normal. You have just described the great satisfaction most teachers seek. While the biggest challenge in all of this for me has been taking care of church business and maintaining Christian responsibilities while not being able to physically assemble on Sundays, what I miss the most is teaching. I have set up the online stuff (I made sure the last math book system we adopted offered distance learning, online instruction for the kids mainly for kids that get suspended) for my students and text or call them two or three times a week and monitor their progress, but it isn’t the same for them or for me. It certainly isn’t ideal. That classroom interaction is so important for most people...teachers and students alike.

On that note, I see that colleges are very concerned about their enrollment for just that reason. Most students seem to be very reluctant to do online classes only. I personally know a few that are going to work for a year rather than take online classes. Of course kids on scholarships don’t likely have that option.

I'll tell you this LR, people don't want to pay $70K/yr for private school and have their kids do it online. You pay that type of money you want the in person experience. Was talking to a buddy whose in that position and his son will be a Freshman this fall. He said if the school isn't open his kid will take online classes from the local JC and save the money.

Back