Fantasy Football

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
I got invited to join a fantasy league with some of my flight members. It's my first ever, so I'm a total noob. I'll list my roster, and you guys can pick it apart and discuss your own drafts.

Roster:
QB Tom Brady
RB Frank Gore
RB Fred Jackson
RB Cedric Benson
WR Andre Johnson
WR Lance Moore
TE Antonio Gates
K David Akers
D Ravens

Bench:
QB Jake Locker
TE Martellus Bennett
WR Nate Burleson
D Cowboys
K Mike Nugent
WR James Jones
RB Jason Snelling

You shouldn't pick backup Ds or Kickers. You can get one that is adequate for the bye week from the waiver wire. Only pick TE's if they are mandatory for your league. Very few are worth having.

Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck the waiver wire is. Do leagues generally allow people to swap out from their bench with leftover players? Obviously, I am banking on the Bye weeks versus injured players, but, oh, well. I guess I'll learn up this season and keep playing in the future.

One guy on my flight gambled on Russell Wilson. :D

Let me see...

Major Command > Numbered AF > Wing > Group > Squadron/Unit > Flight/Section

In the deployed field, their is Air Expeditionary Force which is between Group and Squadron.

For me it goes like this:

ACC & NORAD > 1AF and USNORTHCOM > I don't really fall under a group but there is Continental NORAD Region > WADS > G Flight

Yeah, in the Football leagues, you have a division. There should be three of them in a twelve team division. You will play each of your own division twice and each other player once in a season. Believe me you need to drop the kicker and extra defense. Keep the best of the two, you will be able to adequately fill those in when you need one by dropping your worst bench player and picking up a kicker or D when you need it.

Again, if you are not required to have a tight end you may want to replace tight ends with better receivers, there are only maybe five tight ends you want over a receiver, there just aren't that many that will score that well for you.

Keep a backup QB, keep back up RBs and WRs, pick up when necessary a D a K or a TE if you have to have one.

Hmm, okay. Yeah, we are required to have a TE, and since mine is the #3 rank overall, I am happy with that. I figure I'll just hang onto my back-up K and D for now, and if I have an injury plague one of my starting RB and/or WR, I'll drop one of them, as needed, and replace it with another from the remaining pool...

Here is my draft this season (we are not required to have a TE):

QB: Michael Vick
WR: Wes Welker
WR: Marques Colston
RB: Arian Foster (My first pick this year, I had pick 2, the first pick was Aaron Rogers).
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew (When we did the draft he hadn't stopped his holdout).
W/T: Torrey Smith (this is a flex position where we can put in a TE or a WR).
K: Alex Henery
D: Packers D

Bench:
RB: Peyton Hillis (M'eh... I needed something to toss in if MJD wasn't going to play on Monday).
WR: Demarius Moore (I hate the Raiders)
QB: Carson Palmer (I hate the Raiders)
RB: Mikel Lashoure (Suspended for two games made one of the best rookie RBs drop lower in the draft than I expected.)
WR: Santana Moss (M'eh. High round number).
WR: Randall Cobb (I took a flyer on this one and will only hold him as long as he shows promise).

I think middle of the pack is hardest. I like at the front or the end of the pile. That way you get two quick picks and can usually get somebody you want rather than get them scooped by all those people between your picks.

Yeah, I'm surprised Brady was still available to me by 9th pick. Basically, Rodgers, Foster, Harris had all been picked, and someone picked Brees for some reason, which allowed me to grab Brady. Well, my auto-picker grabbed him for me, because I couldn't manage to figure out how to disengage it. Luckily, it got me Brady and Andre Johnson before I could take the wheel...

Brees is an awesome fantasy QB, probably less this year than last with them being caught buying injuries, but he pumps up the points. Last year I was 8th pick and got Brees, I placed 2nd in my league largely because of him.

Yeah, the Saints are hurting all over, which would tend to cause fantasy players to be wary of him. I think Brees will rack up points that Brady can't deliver, but Brady will still throw for a lot more yards, and plays for a team which is far more solid overall.

I just think that when you go to draft a QB, with Rodgers already taken, and Brady and Brees still available, you would be wise to pick Brady.

You shouldn't pick backup Ds or Kickers. You can get one that is adequate for the bye week from the waiver wire. Only pick TE's if they are mandatory for your league. Very few are worth having.

What he said...drop the extra K and D and free up some bench space.

Also, since you've got Brady you know you're going to be starting him every week until his bye or unless he gets hurt, so it isn't necessary to have a backup unless you're really hot on Locker...chances are somone will be available on the waiver wire you can pick up to plug in for Brady on his bye week.

How many teams in the league?

Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck the waiver wire is. Do leagues generally allow people to swap out from their bench with leftover players? Obviously, I am banking on the Bye weeks versus injured players, but, oh, well. I guess I'll learn up this season and keep playing in the future.

One guy on my flight gambled on Russell Wilson. :D

another question.

Are you in a PPR (Point Per reception) league?

Or a standard TD league.

Drew Brees
Matt Cassell

Matt Forte
Roy Helu
Ronnie Hillman
CJ Spiller
Felix Jones

Jordy Nelson
Wes Welker
Antonio Brown
Titus Young