Favorite Literary Quotes

An ironic statement when you consider that all laws in all nations of this planet are implemented and administered by all governments via coercion.

I disagree, the coercian implicit in the legislation is towards those that would thwart, or at least should be.

I always read Locke in juxtaposition to Hobbes. Hard to believe that less than 1/4 century separates them from their best writings.

(5 April 1588 – 4 December 1679) Hobbes

(b. 1632, d. 1704) Locke

John Locke in Second Treatise on Civil Government: “The end of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom. For in all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom.”

If we start from the assumption that freedom is always a good thing and can never be bad, and assume that a world in anarchy would be bad, and since it's bad it can't be free, yes, law preserves freedom.

If we start from the assumption that freedom means "without restriction", I am freer in a world where I'm allowed to kill you and steal your property all I want than a world in which I am not allowed to.

If we start from the assumption that freedom is always a good thing and can never be bad, and assume that a world in anarchy would be bad, and since it's bad it can't be free, yes, law preserves freedom.

If we start from the assumption that freedom means "without restriction", I am freer in a world where I'm allowed to kill you and steal your property all I want than a world in which I am not allowed to.

If we start with the assumption that you're a fucking idiot, it helps to explain 99.9% of your posts.

If we start with the assumption that you're a fucking idiot, it helps to explain 99.9% of your posts.

If we start from the assumption that everything a founding father says is true and inviolable, even if we aren't intelligent enough to understand it, and that anyone who ever says anything that seems to counter them is disloyal, it helps to explain the chest beating of the primitive beast we see on display here.

Exhibit A: The Conservative

gorilla7.jpg

If we start from the assumption that everything a founding father says is true and inviolable, even if we aren't intelligent enough to understand it, and that anyone who ever says anything that seems to counter them is disloyal, it helps to explain the chest beating of the primitive beast we see on display here.

Thanks for proving that 99.9% referal.

"It is my dream to one day be reduced to a handful of pithy quotes and misquotes on the internet used to support some nutjobs bogus ideology." - Thomas Jefferson

I disagree, the coercian implicit in the legislation is towards those that would thwart, or at least should be.

I always read Locke in juxtaposition to Hobbes. Hard to believe that less than 1/4 century separates them from their best writings.

(5 April 1588 – 4 December 1679) Hobbes

(b. 1632, d. 1704) Locke

I think coercion is implicit towards those who would also ignore the law. Be that is it may, all governments everywhere are coercive. That is why we have a constitution that lists individual rights and limits the coercive powers of government.

Back