FDA: Zicam can permanently damage smell

Thorn

A product that touts its natural ingredients is not necessarily safe.

from today's news:

FDA says Zicam nasal spray can cause loss of smell

AP:

1 hr 27 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Consumers should stop using Zicam Cold Remedy nasal gel and related products because they can permanently damage the sense of smell, federal health regulators said Tuesday.

The over-the-counter products contain zinc, an ingredient scientists say may damage nerves in the nose needed for smell. The other products affected by the Food and Drug Administration's announcement are adult and kid-size Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Swabs.

The FDA says about 130 consumers have reported a loss of smell after using Zicam products since 1999.

"Loss of the sense of smell is potentially life threatening and may be permanent," said Dr. Charles Lee. "People without the sense of smell may not be able to detect life dangerous situations, such as gas leaks or something burning in the house."

The FDA said Zicam Cold Remedy was never formally approved because it is part of a small group of remedies that are not required to undergo federal review before launching. Known as homeopathic products, the formulations often contain herbs, minerals and flowers.

A warning letter issued to manufacturer Matrixx Initiatives on Tuesday asked the company to stop marketing its zinc-based products, but the agency did not issue a formal recall. Instead, regulators said Matrixx would have to submit safety and effectiveness data on the drug.

"The next step, if they wish to continue marketing Zicam intranasal zinc products, is for them is for them to come in and seek FDA approval," said Deborah Autor, director of FDA's drug compliance division.

The agency is requiring formal approval now because of the product's safety issues, she added.

Matrixx Initiatives is facing multiple lawsuits over the product, but says on its Web site: "No plaintiff has ever won a court case, because there is no known causal link between the use of Zicam Cold Remedy nasal gel and impairment of smell."

Representatives from the Scottsdale, Ariz.-based company, which saw its stock price plunge to a 52-week low after the FDA announcement, did not immediately return calls for comment Tuesday.

Health officials said they have asked Matrixx executives to turn over more than 800 consumer complaints concerning lost smell that the company has on file. A 2007 law began requiring manufacturers to report such problems, but FDA regulators declined to say Tuesday whether the company broke the law.

The 130 reports received by the FDA came entirely from physicians and patients, not the manufacturer.

Regulators said the relatively small number of complaints accounted for the agency's lengthy investigation.

"FDA doesn't take action against drug products without evaluating all of the circumstances surrounding the issues with the product," Lee said.

Shares of Matrixx Initiatives Inc. plummeted $10.71, or 55.7 percent, to $8.53 in afternoon trading.

I've used this before. Is it an all or none deal? Or could it have permanently damaged a significant portion of my smelling sense?

BTW, Zicam isn't really a homeopathic remedy in the conventional sense. It is prepared like a normal homeopathic remedy, in that it's a 1C solution. But 1C means 10% Zinc. It's an absurdly low C number for a homeopathic remedy. They are basically just using that preparation method so that they can call it "homeopathic" and get all the alt-medicine recognition that comes with that name, while actually being effective at the same time. True homeopathic remedies are 30C or 60C solution or something, and are completely harmless because they are pure water.

I'd like you people to understand - 30C doesn't mean 0.1% or something. It means 10% of 10% of 10%.... 30 times over. It's basically an logarithmic function. Once you get beyond 24C, it's beyond avagodro's number, and it's been diluted so much there is no way it can be anything but pure water. Basic chemistry. Homeopathic remedies claim that this makes it stronger, and that water maintains a " spiritual memory" of whatever poison they started with. This is, of course, complete bullshit, and utterly opposed to modern physics and chemistry.

And again, Zicam isn't really homeopathic.

I can't help but wonder if the "homeopathic" designation might have been adopted to appeal to a specific segment of the market (perish the thought, right?), those who can be lulled into thinking that something that is homeopathic, or natural, etc., must be safer than synthetic drugs. Of course if it's being heralded as effective for its purpose, it must also be the perfect remedy because as a "natural" product it doesn't have any of those nasty side effects ;).

Zinc has its beneficial properties, but not when you squirt it directly into your nose, apparently. The skin of the nasal cavity, higher up, contains nerve cells that are especially vulnerable to zinc. Once these are damaged, the loss of smell is permanent to the extent that those cells are lost.

People are constructed differently, but those who are particularly vulnerable to this effect will suffer permanent damage. Enough people were affected for the FDA to step in, finally.

This should, perhaps, serve as a reminder that not all products that advertise themselves as having some sort of curative effect have been evaluated by the FDA, and there is no guarantee that they are safe for the consumer (or even that they produce the desired effects).

Cyanide is a natural substance occuring in fruit pits.

Exactly. Hemlock and bungarotoxin are natural too, but both can kill a person easily. These are just a couple of examples. How many people die each year from eating toadstools or the wrong kind of wild mushroom? Some people can die from eating shellfish or peanuts. "Natural" is no guarantee of safety!

I use this stuff whenever I feel a cold coming on. It seems to work great. My nose still works fine.

Which is proof of what? That we have an anecdotal report from one person who used it for an unspecified period of time an unspecified number of times who managed to avoid a catastrophic side effect that we know for certain exists and felt that it "seems" to work great? Well that's wonderful, BF.

Which is proof of what? That we have an anecdotal report from one person who used it for an unspecified period of time an unspecified number of times who managed to avoid a catastrophic side effect that we know for certain exists and felt that it "seems" to work great? Well that's wonderful, BF.

I didn't say it was proof of anything dummy. I was giving my personal experience with the product. Learn2comprehend you illiterate hack. I obviously wouldn't use it again but I don't think people need to freak out if they have used it. NPR reported that only 150 or so people have reported problems since 1999.

The rest of the people are not aware they cannot smell much?
They get by with less showers?

Thanks Thorn, you always do good posts.
from the article:

• Active homeopathic ingredients are typically diluted down to 1 part per million or less, but some are present in much higher concentrations. The active ingredient in Zicam is 2 parts per 100.

• The FDA has set strict limits for alcohol in medicine, especially for small children, but they don't apply to homeopathic remedies. The American Academy of Pediatrics has said no medicine should carry more than 5 percent alcohol. The FDA has acknowledged that some homeopathic syrups far surpass 10 percent alcohol.

• The National Institutes of Health's alternative medicine center spent $3.8 million on homeopathic research from 2002 to 2007 but is now abandoning studies on homeopathic drugs. "The evidence is not there at this point," says the center's director, Dr. Josephine Briggs.

• At least 20 ingredients used in conventional prescription drugs, like digitalis for heart trouble and morphine for pain, are also used in homeopathic remedies. Other homeopathic medicines are derived from cancerous or other diseased tissues. Many are formulated from powerful poisons like strychnine, arsenic or snake venom.

Scary stuff, the law needs to be changed froim the 1938 version.

Back