For Anyold - Atheists Split Over Message

Same here, usc and IHG. I currently live in the middle of the bible belt. Perhaps it seems more extreme to me because I'm from elsewhere; perhaps it is more extreme because of its geographic isolation. Religion here is very important to those who hold to it, and is pretty much the basis of their lives and their identities. To openly criticize someone here (and, really, elsewhere) for her/his beliefs would essentially constitute a personal attack because of the importance of religion to so many people's daily lives. I used to visit with my 86-year-old neighbor (well, half a mile away) who always had her bible open, and who, I knew, was edging closer toward quizzing me on what I'm sure she suspected, accurately, as my lack of religion. I did all I could to avoid that because I liked her so much and didn't want to insult her; at the same time I'd never have dreamed of lying to her. My sadness at her death was slightly eased by a relief that we'd never have to get into that discussion.

I do get tired of people assuming that everyone thinks just as they do. The first question you're asked here by new acquaintances is "where do you worship?" Or the standard praise of someone who's a nice person, "well, he's a good Christian", or self-congratulatory, "Well I'm a Christian". OK, fine, but I'm not and I don't want to make an issue of it. I declined to take part in a photography exhibit that supposedly celebrated the "spirit", and was essentially booted out of the club for it. Fine, that suits me under the circumstances. People here actually demolished a publicly funded highway overpass decoration, that depicted a version of an ancient "wind god" (very a propos for here!), because they felt it was "pagan"! I can't imagine such a response up north.

I guess what I'm saying is that extremism in any form is unpalatable at the least, divisive and even dangerous at most. What I'd like is to receive the respect for my lack of belief in the same measure that I respect those who do believe. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wow, great post.

Its good that there are differences of opinion in the approach different atheists take to the religious problem.

As for the idea of atheism becoming militant, and as fundamentalist as the religious, certainly there are some that are, those that call for religion to be banned or legislated away.

I'd describe myself as a new atheist as descibed above, I think religion is a mental illness that needs to be eradicated, but I'd prefer the approach of attacking the notions that the religions are built on, challenging them relentlessly and finding an organic conversion rather than using legislation.

Well, I'm an agnostic not an atheist. Personally, I think that taking the position that there is no creator as an absolute, is a bit beyond what a human can really defend. You can't prove it, anymore than religious people can prove their beliefs. Though of course, you are in the position of proving a negative, which cannot be done, and they are in the position of proving a positive, which can be done. And I agree that it seems far more likely that there is no God, than that there is one. But I don't claim to know for sure, and I'm not looking to attack anyone's notions. However, I insist they be kept 100% out of public policy. Not to mention out of my face, which I also insist on. But that's a personal issue, and one I can personally take care of.

Well, I'm an agnostic not an atheist. Personally, I think that taking the position that there is no creator as an absolute, is a bit beyond what a human can really defend.

I don't take it as an absolute Darla. And I am a hard atheist.

That might sound like a contradiction, but the impossibility of absolute knowledge shouldn't lead us to keep a gaping open mind about everything. It shouldn't lead us to believe that all knowledge is equal.

I cannot provide absolute knowledge that there aren't fairies at the bottom of my garden. Does that mean I should be agnostic about fairies?

Well, I'm an agnostic not an atheist. Personally, I think that taking the position that there is no creator as an absolute, is a bit beyond what a human can really defend.

I don't take it as an absolute Darla. And I am a hard atheist.

That might sound like a contradiction, but the impossibility of absolute knowledge shouldn't lead us to keep a gaping open mind about everything. It shouldn't lead us to believe that all knowledge is equal.

I cannot provide absolute knowledge that there aren't fairies at the bottom of my garden. Does that mean I should be agnostic about fairies?

LOl. Point taken.

I automatically discount the tenets of most major religions and thus consider them invalid. However I do not discount the possibility the universe could be created by an intelligent being.

I believe the universe may in fact be an intelligent being.

I automatically discount the tenets of most major religions and thus consider them invalid. However I do not discount the possibility the universe could be created by an intelligent being.

QFT!

and we are like a Virus or germ ?
Our entire known universe might perhaps be lika a single cell to someting vastly larger....

Where are you, Thorn? I'm in south Mississippi, which the absolute backwoods like north Mississippi, but it's still pretty bad. I don't even bother to tell people I'm not a Christian. If they ask me about my religion I try to avoid telling them as best as possible. It's just not worth garnering such a negative reaction for something so trivial.

Where are you, Thorn? I'm in south Mississippi, which the absolute backwoods like north Mississippi, but it's still pretty bad. I don't even bother to tell people I'm not a Christian. If they ask me about my religion I try to avoid telling them as best as possible. It's just not worth garnering such a negative reaction for something so trivial.

I'm in the southern part of the Texas panhandle. Similar experiences, and a similar way of handling the situation. I think it's just that for so many people in both our areas religion is so central to their lives that they can't comprehend for an instant that someone could function perfectly well as a good person without it. There's no point in being confrontational about it; that won't change anything.

Back