Fourth of July plans / recipes / etc

If you've got a farmer's market anywhere near, get sweet corn...and tomatoes...
Do you like Caprese Salad?

I have the week of, chillin with the farm and not going anywhere. Bought some rib eye steaks from Costco, will probably grill those, but nothing solid yet.

Anybody have a recipe they would like to share for that?

For steaks I generally like thick cuts, 1.5", and use a rub with a black pepper base. Grill on high three minutes, flip for another three, flip and turn 90 degrees to get the classic checkerboard look, three minutes flip again, then test for done using the palm method.

I grill corn-on-the cob along with my steaks. Husk, coat with a thin layer of butter, salt and pepper. Grill on high, long axis parallel with the bars to keep from rolling. Three minutes then turn 1/3, three minutes 1/3, three more then they're done.

A couple with hang out with invited us for a BBQ for tomorrow. Probably steaks. Some beer.

Tonight we have fireworks in one town...tomorrow fireworks in another...and on the fifth...the big ones in Cranbury...just outside of Princeton. Huge display. Love 'em.

Then on Saturday we have another.

I love fireworks...LOVE 'EM.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th. This is one of my favorite holidays.

That is excellent.

Hope you have a safe and happy 4th as well.

If you've got a farmer's market anywhere near, get sweet corn...and tomatoes...
Do you like Caprese Salad?

Been getting excellent yellow and white combo corn early this year. Like to wait until the Jersey crop comes in. Jersey tomatoes, especially the very ugly ones...are the greatest. From the end of July though early October...I have a tomato salad EVERY DAY...with Italian or French bread. I like to include some arugala...or even better, some Italian salad peppers.

IMG_9895.JPG

brandywine1.jpg

For steaks I generally like thick cuts, 1.5", and use a rub with a black pepper base. Grill on high three minutes, flip for another three, flip and turn 90 degrees to get the classic checkerboard look, three minutes flip again, then test for done using the palm method.

I grill corn-on-the cob along with my steaks. Husk, coat with a thin layer of butter, salt and pepper. Grill on high, long axis parallel with the bars to keep from rolling. Three minutes then turn 1/3, three minutes 1/3, three more then they're done.

That sounds good. I have tried the cross marks, I usually do the same size steaks you do and about 5-6 per side. I might do more than just salt and pepper, but sometimes I just feel like the basic when the steak is high quality.

What is on your rub? Unless it is a proprietary secret :)

Been getting excellent yellow and white combo corn early this year. Like to wait until the Jersey crop comes in. Jersey tomatoes, especially the very ugly ones...are the greatest. From the end of July though early October...I have a tomato salad EVERY DAY...with Italian or French bread. I like to include some arugala...or even better, some Italian salad peppers.

IMG_9895.JPG

brandywine1.jpg

Are the ugly ones heirloom?

Don't salt your steaks while cooking them, it pulls the juices out. Use seasonings, but salt when they're done.

I had heard that all my life, but if you pat your steak dry and put a little sea salt or Kosher salt and black pepper on it , you'll get a real good, crusty sear.

I make a blanched Green bean salad with a little Red Onion or Shallot.. cherry tomatoes and Gorgonzola... The dressing is lemon vinaigrette .. I serve it on cups of butter lettuce. Quite good.

Are the ugly ones heirloom?

I think not...but obviously there is a genetic link somewhere.

What we call "the Jersey tomato" is a Rutgers hybrid...one that people from Jersey take tremendous pride in. During the summer, the farmer markets of New York City...and the vegetable carts all have signs indicating Jersey Tomatoes.

Some do grow round and pretty...but almost everyone from New Jersey agrees that the MOST tasty...are the ugliest. Same thing goes with the heirlooms. The uglier the heirloom...the better tasting...so I suspect that to be the connection.

Our corn is super also.

Unfortunately...all the corn and tomatoes come at the same time...late July (or early August) to early October (or late September.)

And of course, almost everyone from New Jersey grows some tomatoes in the backyard.

Damn...now I am yearning for a tomato salad...but I really want to wait until some Jerseys come in.

I make a blanched Green bean salad with a little Red Onion or Shallot.. cherry tomatoes and Gorgonzola... The dressing is lemon vinaigrette .. I serve it on cups of butter lettuce. Quite good.

Yeah...I've gone crazy this year with Gorgonzola in almost every salad. I prefer a thick balsamic...but use just a tiny bit, so as not to overload its taste.

What we call "the Jersey tomato" is a Rutgers hybrid...one that people from Jersey take tremendous pride in. During the summer, the farmer markets of New York City...and the vegetable carts all have signs indicating Jersey Tomatoes.

Some do grow round and pretty...but almost everyone from New Jersey agrees that the MOST tasty...are the ugliest. Same thing goes with the heirlooms. The uglier the heirloom...the better tasting...so I suspect that to be the connection.

Our corn is super also.

Unfortunately...all the corn and tomatoes come at the same time...late July (or early August) to early October (or late September.)

And of course, almost everyone from New Jersey grows some tomatoes in the backyard.

Damn...now I am yearning for a tomato salad...but I really want to wait until some Jerseys come in.

I was astonished to find that Jersey tomatoes were even better than SC tomatoes.

IMG_9895.JPG

brandywine1.jpg
We are lucky to have great bi-colored and awesome tomatoes as well...those ones in your pictures are gorgeous.... I wouldn't say we eat them every day, but close...:)panzanella with arugula is awesome.....
I just finished a huge batch of pesto for tomorrow...we always have fresh bread......
(If you like caprese and bloody marys try a caprese bloody mary sometime...there are all kinds of recipes....and if you have infused vodkas-easy to make, they are even better (basil, garlic, pancetta, etc...)...
Fresh mozz of course....and great balsamic (I imagine you have a source for cheese and a bottle of that somewhere:)
Have a happy 4th! they expect over half a million downtown here this evening for our fireworks (I think third largest in the nation-or right up there)....our local fireworks and parade are tomorrow....can't wait...praying for no rain!

IMG_9895.JPG

brandywine1.jpg
Those are beautiful, I love a good tomato.

I had heard that all my life, but if you pat your steak dry and put a little sea salt or Kosher salt and black pepper on it , you'll get a real good, crusty sear.
The rule is either salt it 30 minutes before you grill them or wait till right before you grill them.

Our corn is super also.

Interesting, I had no idea Jersey even had farms. People from the west coast have a bad perception so Jersey.

I went to the boardwalk when I was a teenager, that was cool. Actually met a couple of girls and got invited to a party but my grandma said no. :(

Interesting, I had no idea Jersey even had farms. People from the west coast have a bad perception so Jersey.

I went to the boardwalk when I was a teenager, that was cool. Actually met a couple of girls and got invited to a party but my grandma said no. :(
Grandma was very wise, those girls would have corrupted you :laugh:

That sounds good. I have tried the cross marks, I usually do the same size steaks you do and about 5-6 per side. I might do more than just salt and pepper, but sometimes I just feel like the basic when the steak is high quality.

What is on your rub? Unless it is a proprietary secret :)

No secret to my rub. Always black pepper, and whatever my wife adds to it. ;)

Back