Fox News viewers ranked among Dumbest in the Nation

YES. Cypress, as we have all said, Fox news ranks near the bottom along with the other NEWS shows. Within the NEWS shows, they are all statistically the same, with the exception being CNN. So your implication that Fox news viewers are dumb is misleading. You should have said, people who watch the news are ignorant. But you wanted to be a typical moron and act as if Fox were somehow worse than the other news channels. Which it is not.

I can't believe you people are even arguing about this!

The main thing that a lot of people are talking about is, that Fox News viewers score 35% and Colbert/Stewart watchers score 54%.

When people watching a COMEDY show, know that much more about current events than do people watching a particular NEWS station, it's an interesting development.

31% of Americans cannot name the Vice President of the United States. Pathetic.

YES. Cypress, as we have all said, Fox news ranks near the bottom along with the other NEWS shows. Within the NEWS shows, they are all statistically the same, with the exception being CNN. So your implication that Fox news viewers are dumb is misleading. You should have said, people who watch the news are ignorant. But you wanted to be a typical moron and act as if Fox were somehow worse than the other news channels. Which it is not.

Are you a Fox News fan, sfreak?

Let’s forget about individual shows, like Colbert and O’Reilly. Or Chris Mathews. Audiences for political punditry shows are generally highly informed about current events. My thread was about the Fox News Channel.

And let’s only look at comprehensive, fully-integrated news sources: like News Magazines (e.g. Newsweek, Time, etc), Daily Newspapers (e.g. NY Times, WSJ), Cable News stations (i.e. Fox and CNN) , and Network News stations:

Survey of High Knowledge

-News magazines: 48%
-Daily Newspapers: 44%
-CNN: 41%
-Network Evening News: 38%
-Local TN news: 35%
-Fox News Channel: 35%

Fox is at the bottom dude. Just like my entire Thread suggested.

The main thing that a lot of people are talking about is, that Fox News viewers score 35% and Colbert/Stewart watchers score 54%.

When people watching a COMEDY show, know that much more about current events than do people watching a particular NEWS station, it's an interesting development.

31% of Americans cannot name the Vice President of the United States. Pathetic

That particular statistic blew me away!

31% of Americans cannot name the Vice President of the United States. Pathetic

That particular statistic blew me away!

I find it very hard to believe. I am going to start asking people, at work, and everywhere I am, who is the VP? I want to see if i can find just one person who can't name Cheney, so that I can study them. Who are they? What have they been doing for the past 7 years? Can they tie their shoes?

We could compare the same results with CNN. 41% to 54%.

I haven't argued the result, I just went into a deeper analysis. Notice the result of CNN or Network News (even lower than Fox) compared to Rush listeners or O'Reilly viewers.

I find it very hard to believe. I am going to start asking people, at work, and everywhere I am, who is the VP? I want to see if i can find just one person who can't name Cheney, so that I can study them. Who are they? What have they been doing for the past 7 years? Can they tie their shoes?
This is generally my reaction as well. Do they seek out people with drool on their face to ask these questions?

Cypress... no, I actually do not watch any of the network shows, nor Fox news. Normally I will watch CNN for the news as I think they do the best job overall. And again... yes, Fox is at the bottom of their list, along with the other network news shows.

When you are intelligent the best you can do is laugh. It beats crying.

I wonder if it's an artifact of the poll question.

I wonder if people know Cheney's name, and that he's high up in government - but can't name the constitutional office he holds.

It's like if you asked americans who the Speaker of the House of Reps was - I doubt many could. But, I bet a much higher percentage know the name Nancy Pelosi, and that she holds an important position in goverment.

Cypress... no, I actually do not watch any of the network shows, nor Fox news. Normally I will watch CNN for the news as I think they do the best job overall. And again... yes, Fox is at the bottom of their list, along with the other network news shows.

Thanks!

I watch PBS and listen to NPR. So, I'm among the smartest in the nation ;)

I wonder if it's an artifact of the poll question.

I wonder if people know Cheney's name, and that he's high up in government - but can't name the constitutional office he holds.

It's like if you asked americans who the Speaker of the House of Reps was - I doubt many could. But, I bet a much higher percentage know the name Nancy Pelosi, and that she holds an important position in goverment.

Maybe so Cypress, but they are still dumbasses as far as I am concerned! :)

They mentioned later in the article that if they supplied multiple choice the answers became much higher.

I think some of it may be ephasia rather than lack of knowledge. However 31% is significantly higher than the ephasia factor can actually account for.

It would have taken me a moment or two to come up with Poindexter...

"particularly those 50 years old or older - did better than younger people."

Yeah! You young whippersnappers should listen to me.

"Yeah! You young whippersnappers should listen to me."

Sorry, once senility sets in, it becomes too risky to trust you old fellas. ;)

You choose not to answer my very simple question damo.

The correct answer is: YES, Fox News Channel viewers on balance, are less informed than other news channels.

Please review the title of my thread: It was about Fox News Channnel. Not the O'Reilly Show. Or the Chris Mathews show. I understand that the audience for political punditry shows are generally more informed about current political events.

The point is, that FOX NEWS CHANNEL does a poor job OVERALL of informing its viewers.

Next weekend, take your TV remote. And click over to Fox News every 20 minutes. You'll barely see any real news. It'll be mostly crap about Anna Nicole Smith; some kidnapped white girl somewhere, or some white girl missing in Aruba.

Cypress, forgive me, but you've been repudiated and had your simplistic soundbite summary refuted with a more thoughtful and accurate interpretation of the numbers and their meaning. Yet you continue arguing.

Back