Gasoline Alley

Cheap to keep running,had a big Straight 6.The worse was drum brakes on all 4 wheels,didn't stop worth a shit!
I had it 15 years,put on brakes,a couple
exhaust,a carb,I bought for $20 installed,one belt

Those old cars and trucks were easy to work on. I had a 66 Chevy truck with a 250 straight 6. I kept for 17 years it had almost 400K on it 3 engines and normal brake tire stuff. The amazing thing was in the entire time I owned that truck I never had to have the front end aligned. It didn't wear tire and let go of the wheel it went straight.

Those old cars and trucks were easy to work on. I had a 66 Chevy truck with a 250 straight 6. I kept for 17 years it had almost 400K on it 3 engines and normal brake tire stuff. The amazing thing was in the entire time I owned that truck I never had to have the front end aligned. It didn't wear tire and let go of the wheel it went straight.

Before emission control,they could breath!

I have gotten to old and stiff to be crawling around on an engine so I get my nephew to dot that kind of stuff for me.

I have a plan to install a low-rise lift at my cabin when I retire. The ceiling height is only 8'-4" so it won't accommodate a full-height to allow a second vehicle storage underneath. But the mid-rise will allow me to work under a car using an old office chair with caster wheels.

I have a plan to install a low-rise lift at my cabin when I retire. The ceiling height is only 8'-4" so it won't accommodate a full-height to allow a second vehicle storage underneath. But the mid-rise will allow me to work under a car using an old office chair with caster wheels.

Great idea.

This is under the hood of my '18 Porsche Macan with the engine dress cover off. It's a 2.0T VW engine, I4. Everything is very accessible. All the spark plugs, fuel injectors, and engine sensors are right there. Since the hood encompasses the tops of the front fenders, all of the attachment points to the suspension are easily accessible.

Changing the oil is a breeze by using the vacuum extraction method. I never bend my knees, never mind get under the car. The dipstick, filter cover and fill are all within 6-inches of each other, right at the front of the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_144637142.jpg
    IMG_20190705_144637142.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
Was a big Straight 6 ,the Gremlin was great in the snow,even when I had bald tires.
When I found a set of snow tires mounted at the junk yard,it was like a tank!

I know a guy who drag races one if those. Has a big ol 440 under the hood. The front wheels come off the ground when leaves the line.

Had a tire puncture this morning and had to change it on route. The last time I had to do that was over 40 years ago.

Nice to have a tire pressure warning system. It alerted me of a problem within seconds of hitting an object in the road. That gave me time to find a nice safe commercial driveway before the tire was half-deflated, saving the rim.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
Had a tire puncture this morning and had to change it on route. The last time I had to do that was over 40 years ago.

Nice to have a tire pressure warning system. It alerted me of a problem within seconds of hitting an object in the road. That gave me time to find a nice safe commercial driveway before the tire was half-deflated, saving the rim.

I never had a flat tire in my life,then when I finally did,I had three in the same day on my Chevy 62 Impala SS convertible

rss.tribunecontentagency.com20190707csgas-s.jpgampp-7813f6f2541e5f6e1e52586f02978202b7148daa

This is what a xenon arc bulb looks like. There is no filament. The light source is an electric arc, or plasma, arcing between the two electrodes within a nobel (inert) gas contained inside the tiny glass bulb. Variations in light color are achieved by small amounts of impurities in the gas.

HID-Xenon-Bulb.jpg

Noble gases, Nobel Prize.

Mostly cruise-ins for me. I did one s,all show, about 40 cars, and one 2nd place in the only category. First place was a Camaro that had been featured in magazines and spent the last 30 years in a museum until the current owner bought it. A big check trumps sweat every day, unfortunately.

You won one.

Car guy stories only. :cool:

Somewhere a little bit down the list is a thread called "new car day" in which I recently described my collection of high end restomods.
Nobody was interested in commenting upon it which is fine, but yes, we do have some motorheads on the forum

Back