Getting a graduate degree

that's retarded King, maybe you should be burger king. So you can point out examples, thanks captain obvious. There are not quarantees, and an advanced degree doesn't get you the same difference that a 4yr does over the hs. I don't think my MBA helped me much at work but I focused on professional investment management. I have zero doubt the MBA made me a much better investor.
I know what you mean. My masters has made me a much better hazmat manager. Why I haven't blown up a single thing since I got mine! :)

way to argue against education, each level higher get's a higher average salary. Also a graduate degree probably opens more doors on a subsequent job search.

I woud certainly encourage everyone to get at least an AA and preferably a BA/BS if at all possible. As for graduate degrees, it really does become dependent on the degree. Obviously MBAs and MPAs are great, but most MAs and MSs exist merely to pad resumes and don't open any new doors.

Since I'm not going to be able to get certified as a teacher, the M.Ed. I'm about to complete is going to be used to pad my resume (look, I have a Master's!!). In the future, when I have more education benefits accrued, I would like to earn an MA in history, but that is largely a pride factor. If I ever get the Ph.D., it will allow me to become a professor (which would be a lot of fun), and it will give me the prized "title" that Dano alluded to. The only door it might open for me is that I will receive the knowledge and research skills that might allow me to publish a few books, which is a neat prospect.

I woud certainly encourage everyone to get at least an AA and preferably a BA/BS if at all possible. As for graduate degrees, it really does become dependent on the degree. Obviously MBAs and MPAs are great, but most MAs and MSs exist merely to pad resumes and don't open any new doors.

Since I'm not going to be able to get certified as a teacher, the M.Ed. I'm about to complete is going to be used to pad my resume (look, I have a Master's!!). In the future, when I have more education benefits accrued, I would like to earn an MA in history, but that is largely a pride factor. If I ever get the Ph.D., it will allow me to become a professor (which would be a lot of fun), and it will give me the prized "title" that Dano alluded to. The only door it might open for me is that I will receive the knowledge and research skills that might allow me to publish a few books, which is a neat prospect.
Just realize that a degree in history means a small chance of being a professor or teacher and not really anywhere else you can use it.
I love history too, so no disrespect, but it's very risky especially in this climate.

Look at this:
"Fewer than a fifth of graduating seniors even have offers, research finds"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32468172/

Just realize that a degree in history means a small chance of being a professor or teacher and not really anywhere else you can use it.
I love history too, so no disrespect, but it's very risky especially in this climate.

Look at this:
"Fewer than a fifth of graduating seniors even have offers, research finds"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32468172/

Regarding history Ph.D.s, the trick is to be fluent in an area other than just American History. For example, if I persue a Ph.D., one of my strand areas will be US History, and another will be English History (is anyone surprised?). The proficiency in English History will be useful. For example, at my alma mater, there is currently only one European History professor, and although he specializes in English History, he can't offer the classes, because he has to teach the European History and Western Civ classes. My third strand is pretty much up in the air, but it could be Pacific NW, it could be Middle East, it could be a lot of things...

My sis got an MS in education and it lead to automatic higher pay.

That's how the education field works. Your degree + time determines your pay, while your certification determines your ability to be employed and your marketability. They want teachers to all get a Master's degree in some area (doesn't have to be in education). Some states such as Oregon even require it. WA doesn't require it because the WEA took a strong stand against it back when Oregon was pushing it through.

I deliberately got my BA in history because I knew I wanted to enter teaching with my Master's already knocked out, which would bump my starting pay by $6k, and I wouldn't be expected to go back to school again. But this is the education field. In the real world, your degree usually makes you more competitive but doesn't come with an automatic, pre-determined pricetag attatched to it.

That's how the education field works. Your degree + time determines your pay, while your certification determines your ability to be employed and your marketability. They want teachers to all get a Master's degree in some area (doesn't have to be in education). Some states such as Oregon even require it. WA doesn't require it because the WEA took a strong stand against it back when Oregon was pushing it through.

I deliberately got my BA in history because I knew I wanted to enter teaching with my Master's already knocked out, which would bump my starting pay by $6k, and I wouldn't be expected to go back to school again. But this is the education field. In the real world, your degree usually makes you more competitive but doesn't come with an automatic, pre-determined pricetag attatched to it.

duh!!!

you would never make it as a doctor, you would be arrested, have your license revoked the first time you ""treated"" a conservative patient

Back