Greenland Has Been Cooling In Recent Years – 26 Of Its 47 Largest Glaciers Now Stable

cancel2 2022

Canceled
This isn't really news to those that follow climate science and refuse to listen to climate alarmists with their Chicken Little prognistications of doom and gloom.

A new analysis of recent trends for the Greenland ice sheet reveals that since 2012 there has been an abrupt slowing of melt rates and a trend reversal to cooling and ice growth.

• In 2018, 26 of Greenland’s 47 largest glaciers were either stable or grew in size.
• Overall, the 47 glaciers advanced by +4.1 km² during 2018. Of the 6 largest glaciers, 4 grew while 2 retreated.
• Since 2012, ice loss has been “minor” to “modest” due to the dramatic melting slowdown.
• Summer average temperatures for 2018 were lower than the 2008-2018 average by more than one standard deviation.
• Since 2000, the extent of the non-snow-covered areas of Greenland has increased by 500 km² per year.

https://tinyurl.com/y5ch24xy

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0329-3

This isn't really news to those that follow climate science and refuse to listen to climate alarmists with their Chicken Little prognistications of doom and gloom.

https://tinyurl.com/y5ch24xy

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0329-3
From the article -
Observations and modelling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland.

It seems that warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland. But don't worry, Greenland is the entire globe in your world unlike for the rest of us.

It seems that warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland.

"Observations and modelling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" tells you "warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

"Observations and modelling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" tells you "warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

Your post tells me you don't know much about ocean currents. The change in ocean currents has been discussed in science for quite some time. Global warming may actually lead to a cooler Europe if the currents change as some models predict.

Your post tells me you don't know much about ocean currents. The change in ocean currents has been discussed in science for quite some time. Global warming may actually lead to a cooler Europe if the currents change as some models predict.

So you can't explain how you reached your conclusion, as I suspected. Thanks for owning up. :thup:

So you can't explain how you reached your conclusion, as I suspected. Thanks for owning up. :thup:

The science article explains the currents around Greenland and how the warming is changing them. I didn't have to reach a conclusion. I simply had to read the conclusions of the authors of the paper that Havana Moon presented. I think he knew full well that people like yourself would not read it or be incapable of reading it so you would accept his implication that it somehow showed the globe was actually cooling. Congratulations on achieving the low standard he set for you.

The science article explains the currents around Greenland and how the warming is changing them. I didn't have to reach a conclusion. I simply had to read the conclusions of the authors of the paper that Havana Moon presented. I think he knew full well that people like yourself would not read it or be incapable of reading it so you would accept his implication that it somehow showed the globe was actually cooling. Congratulations on achieving the low standard he set for you.

So you say. "Warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland" was your claim.

It seems that warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland.

Care to explain how "Observations and modelling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" means "Warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

So you say. "Warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland" was your claim.

Care to explain how "Observations and modelling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" means "Warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

The article is more than one sentence long. Is is several pages that include some big words that I am sure you will be able to look up in a dictionary. If you read the article and still don't understand it, ask questions and I will explain it to you. I see no reason to be "articles for dummies" for you since you claim to be an intelligent child.

The article is more than one sentence long. Is is several pages that include some big words that I am sure you will be able to look up in a dictionary. If you read the article and still don't understand it, ask questions and I will explain it to you. I see no reason to be "articles for dummies" for you since you claim to be an intelligent child.

So you are unable explain how "observations and modeling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" means "warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

You didn't read the article you posted, did you? It lays out the changes in the currents around Greenland.

Does it say "observations and modeling trace the origins of this cooling to anomalous wintertime heat loss in the boundary current that circulates around the southern half of Greenland" or "warming is changing the ocean currents around Greenland?"

In a paper in Nature this week, scientists present palaeo-oceanographic evidence that deep convection of surface waters in the North Atlantic — the engine that keeps the AMOC in constant motion — began to decline as early as around 1850, probably owing to increased freshwater influx from Arctic ice that had melted at the end of a relatively cold period called the Little Ice Age (D. J. R. Thornalley et al. Nature 556, 227–230; 2018). This could have caused a weakening in the ocean circulation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-04322-x

In a paper in Nature this week, scientists present palaeo-oceanographic evidence that deep convection of surface waters in the North Atlantic — the engine that keeps the AMOC in constant motion — began to decline as early as around 1850, probably owing to increased freshwater influx from Arctic ice that had melted at the end of a relatively cold period called the Little Ice Age (D. J. R. Thornalley et al. Nature 556, 227–230; 2018). This could have caused a weakening in the ocean circulation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-04322-x
Gosh, I wonder if glaciers on Greenland are ice and if there would be an influx of freshwater when they melt as they have been doing over the last few decades. You should go read the article you still haven't bothered to read.

(You really should read it before you make your next post.)

Back