Greetings from Southeast Asia

Cancel 2018.1

Trip of a lifetime!
Not on a tour group, doing it on our own.
Sailor was right. Good people here.
In Hue, Vietnam for a couple of days then move south.
Was already in Luang Prabang , Laos, Hanoi and Sa Pa, Vietnam.

Trip of a lifetime!
In Thailand at the moment, was in Saigon last year for Tet.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Sigh...looks like I won't be going back to SE Asia anytime soon. I would be expected to spend the entire time at my wife's parents farm and I would need her permission to fart let alone go touring or sight seeing.

Sigh...looks like I won't be going back to SE Asia anytime soon. I would be expected to spend the entire time at my wife's parents farm and I would need her permission to fart let alone go touring or sight seeing.

She sounds seriously controlling to me, was she always like that or only since she came to the US? I go to my wife's family home sometimes but it is boring as shit after a day or so. They all go to bed at nine o'clock!

She sounds seriously controlling to me, was she always like that or only since she came to the US? I go to my wife's family home sometimes but it is boring as shit after a day or so. They all go to bed at nine o'clock!

Shes only that way when we go back to the Philippines which is why I told her until she changes her attitude I won't go anymore.

Her real fear is that she knows there are a lot of opportunities for me to cheat on her there. It's irrational because there are just as many opportunities for me to do that here if I was so inclined, which I am not.

It's the same at her family's home. I get terribly bored after a few days but she melts down if I decide to go off by myself. The consequence for her is that if I don't go then it means less spending money for her.

Last edited:
I would be if I tolerated it but I don't. That's why I won't go anymore and she has to pay for any future trip from her savings.

How the fuck can you get up to anything if she's with you, surely she's not that paranoic?

Last edited:
Trip of a lifetime!

Did you go to the Kuang Si Falls? Hanoi also gets pretty cold this time of year.

How the fuck can you get up to anything if she's with you, surely she's not that paranoic?

Well that's just it. We can't go anywhere unless we bring her parents and half her extended family with us. My wife gets really irrational when it comes to her parents too.

Well that's just it. We can't go anywhere unless we bring her parents and half her extended family with us. My wife gets really irrational when it comes to her parents too.

Marry an Asian and you marry the family as well in many cases. My daughter-in-law's family are true diamonds though. They are generous to a fault and just love a good time. I went to Da Nang with them last year and they wouldn't let me buy anything. Probably helped that I brought two litre bottles of Chivas Regal 12 year old whisky along with me that I bought in Doha.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Marry an Asian and you marry the family as well in many cases. My daughter-in-law's family are true diamonds though. They are generous to a fault and just love a good time. I went to Da Nang with them last year and they wouldn't let me buy anything. Probably helped that I brought two litre bottles of Chivas Regal 12 year old whisky along with me that I bought in Doha.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk
Hell last time I went I bought four 12 yo bottles of Chevis, one for each brother inlaw and an 18 yo bottle of Glenlivits to celebrate with them. The entire month I was there my brother in laws spent about two hours with me. The second week I was there I got depressed and drank the bottle of Glenlivit with my sister inlaw Ami. I was so bummed I didn't even care she was mixing hers with coke.

Did you go to the Kuang Si Falls? Hanoi also gets pretty cold this time of year.
Yes we did. Hanoi was not cold at all, quite pleasant. Glad to get out of there after three days though. After that went to Sa Pa hiked through three H'Mong hamlets, then in Hue for two days and now in Hoi An. Fasanating town. I'd advise anyone coming here to bring an empty suitcase to fill up. Great stuff for cheap.
Got an amazing head, neck and shoulder massage yesterday for $10. I added a $1 tip . She was thrilled.

Yes we did. Hanoi was not cold at all, quite pleasant. Glad to get out of there after three days though. After that went to Sa Pa hiked through three H'Mong hamlets, then in Hue for two days and now in Hoi An. Fasanating town. I'd advise anyone coming here to bring an empty suitcase to fill up. Great stuff for cheap.
Got an amazing head, neck and shoulder massage yesterday for $10. I added a $1 tip . She was thrilled.
You want to be careful with tipping there. You should only tip appropriate amount by local custom or you'll feed into the stereotype that all Americans are rich. She was probably thrilled with the tip cause you were probably overcharged in the first place. I used to tip the American standard 10% until my wife convinced that was waaay to much and often your views as a spendthrift fool for being to generous. In the main they are thrilled to just get your business as often you're not getting the local rate.

If you find a trustworthy cab driver, something as rare as hens teeth, get their # and do tip generously and use their service regularly. Most of them will fuck with you by turning their meter off or taking the longest route possible. A good cab driver is a gem. Treat them well.

If you find a trustworthy cab driver, something as rare as hens teeth, get their # and do tip generously and use their service regularly. Most of them will fuck with you by turning their meter off or taking the longest route possible. A good cab driver is a gem. Treat them well.
My d-i-l's uncle is a cab driver in Saigon, so that helps!
Have a great time..................

Actually I find that on the whole cab drivers in Thailand are pretty good. As long as you tell them that you want to stay on the meter then you usually have no problems. The hardest part is finding one when it's busy especially in Bangkok. I tend to them give them a tip, usually 20-30 baht for a short trip. To be fair to them the rates have been fixed for a long time now whilst their costs have gone up. Taxi drivers in Saigon can be real crooked bastards especially at the airport.

Last edited:
That's how the ones in Manila are. I usually go with the taxi service with the hotel I stay at. It cost significantly more but it's far more secure.

That's how the ones in Manila are. I usually go with the taxi service with the hotel I stay at. It cost significantly more but it's far more secure.

Case in point, just come back to a friend's house on a motorbike taxi. He tried to get 200 baht off me but I haggled him down to 80. But so what it amounts to a couple of quid for a 3 kilometre ride.

Back