Grind = Suicidal

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Hi everyone, time to off myself. Studying, school, and life in general sucks.

Ummmm ok so I gotta hand out my possessions.

Watermark gets my macbook.
Beefy gets access to my poker account (got about a grand in it right now)
Ladyt - do you like lava lamps? It's yours.
Darla - ummm running out of ideas, seems I don't have many possessions, another reason to off myself..
[epic] - you can have my car

</emo>

Last edited:
Hi everyone, time to off myself. Studying, school, and life in general sucks.

Ummmm ok so I gotta hand out my possessions.

Watermark gets my macbook.
Beefy gets access to my poker account (got about a grand in it right now)
Ladyt - do you like lava lamps? It's yours.
Darla - ummm running out of ideas, seems I don't have many possessions, another reason to off myself..
[epic] - you can have my car

</emo>

You still had a car when you got to my name. But I’d rather have the mac book anyway.

As soon as I wipe the cancer of the Mac OSX and the unnameds useless personal stuff off of it I'm going to install Ubuntu.

Hardy is just about ready, I've been running it in late beta (I stayed away from alpha and early beta). I had a problem with the sound, it uses Pulse and I took it all out and just replaced the ALSA bits and pieces and it's like, man, it's volume goes up to 11 man!

Seriously, stupid Spinal Tap references aside, it's excellent. You do have to work at it but the online assistance from forums and sites is just great. And the best bit - everything is free - as in free beer. It's not perfect and it's not ever going to be as sparkling as any Mac system or even Windows, but it does give you immense control over your system (think "sudo" as root) and when you get used to it you can just about make your computer jump through hoops.

Hardy is just about ready, I've been running it in late beta (I stayed away from alpha and early beta). I had a problem with the sound, it uses Pulse and I took it all out and just replaced the ALSA bits and pieces and it's like, man, it's volume goes up to 11 man!

Seriously, stupid Spinal Tap references aside, it's excellent. You do have to work at it but the online assistance from forums and sites is just great. And the best bit - everything is free - as in free beer. It's not perfect and it's not ever going to be as sparkling as any Mac system or even Windows, but it does give you immense control over your system (think "sudo" as root) and when you get used to it you can just about make your computer jump through hoops.

Of course, Linux can't hire graphics artists to work for them and make everything shiny. Linux is clunky. All open source software is a little bit clunky. But the thing I personally like about Linux, is that whenever I use it, I don't feel like the computer is constantly patronizing me and telling me that I'm an idiot. In Windows, for instance, they make it impossible to share the Program Files folder, even on a private home network, so that you don't have to install every single program you have on every single computer (we have three).

Linux has User Account Control too, but if you type in the password, you can do what you like. Not so with Windows. Windows wants to keep it's past, where it dealt with the problem of giving everything constant root access by arbitrarily restricting the roots access to the system (definitely kept the user out of shit, but not malicious programs), while still claiming to have the advanced UAC features. It's an utter failure.

Hey, I'm a depressed college student too! :shots:

Anyway, I drive a '94 Lincoln Continental, and Darla can have a ride in it sometime if she wants... :moped: :kiss2:

I basically ruined my linux installation by installing multiple desktop subsystems (2 is unstable, 3 or 4 makes it unusable). I've been waiting for Hardy to jump back in and reinstall the whole thing.

Of course, Linux can't hire graphics artists to work for them and make everything shiny. Linux is clunky. All open source software is a little bit clunky. But the thing I personally like about Linux, is that whenever I use it, I don't feel like the computer is constantly patronizing me and telling me that I'm an idiot. In Windows, for instance, they make it impossible to share the Program Files folder, even on a private home network, so that you don't have to install every single program you have on every single computer (we have three).

Linux has User Account Control too, but if you type in the password, you can do what you like. Not so with Windows. Windows wants to keep it's past, where it dealt with the problem of giving everything constant root access by arbitrarily restricting the roots access to the system (definitely kept the user out of shit, but not malicious programs), while still claiming to have the advanced UAC features. It's an utter failure.

I should plagiarise this - it might make me sound less like a Linux fanboy and more like someone who knows why he's using Linux (it would also make me sound less of a cheapskate).

Would you recommend Kubuntu over Ubuntu?

I tried KDE with some other distros (I think I've tried nearly all of them, Gentoo was a total humiliation for me) but I really didn't like it, although some rave about it. It does have some great applications - Amarok for example, the music player which I'm running now and K3B the burner which is great.

They have some great video editors and image apps on KDE. But I prefer Gnome. And I haven't found a KDE app that I couldn't run on Ubuntu anyway.

It's probably just preference.

I did read somewhere that Konqueror, the KDE browser, is a bit iffy, I found it all a bit much and I'm using Firefox 3.0b5 (Hardy installs 3.0beta) and it's good but I have had Java problems with it and also streaming radio, 2.0 will do it, 3.0b tells me to get stuffed, it's not playing. I can put up with that though.

I'm quite happy with Gnome so Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu works for me. Oh, there are some spin-offs from Ubuntu of course - Mint is very good if you like KDE and it doesn't come with Java problems. If you're a multi-media maniac then have a look at Ubuntu Studio. I love the flexibility of Ubuntu and the whole open source thing. I'm only a user, not a hacker, but there are some clued up folks out there that are only too willing to help when I fiddle with something and break it. I have an AMD64 with XP on it which is my backup I run Ubuntu on a Pentium IV with plenty of RAM and an external hard disk for all my critical data so if I fiddle with the system and break it I don't lose anything important.

One thing about installation. I still haven't mastered partitioning so I just dump the new distro on the hard drive which means bookmarks and emails all gone of course. I think Hardy may be better at guiding partitioning, though I haven't tried. I did have Ubuntu (Dapper) living with XP but in the end I thought stuff this for a game of soldiers and just went Ubuntu totally on this machine.

Back