Grinds Advanced Theory - If you know stuff about trains, you know stuff about bombs.

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
I have a theory, that if you took someone that was well informed about different types of trains, that they concurrently would almost alaways know a lot about bombs.

I couldn't make a definite decision until i knew whether the definition of "trains" included trams and monorails.

it does indeed. But I'm talking mostly of the type of person that knows about steam engines, and maybe has a model train somewhere in his house.

Ah, you mean like train spotters.

Do you have train spotters in America? We see them standing on the train platforms jotting down train numbers in their little note pads, with a thermos flask and a lunchbox under their arm. Like this

spotter.gif

I'd tend to say that while they may have the obsessive personality traits to educate themselves about bomb making they would invariably make incredibly bad suicide bombers.

For real train spotters a rapid spiral into drug addiction, crime, poverty and a life of collapsed veins, needle exchanges and, ultimately, overdose, could only be viewed as a step up. :)

I have a theory, that if you took someone that was well informed about different types of trains, that they concurrently would almost alaways know a lot about bombs.
Technically speaking, that's a hypothesis and not a theory. It does beggar this question though, how is your hypothesis testable?

That reminds me of a pet hypothesis I have. It's called the missing sock hypothesis. Now we've all have had this happen. We get done doing our laundry and we go to match up all our socks and invariably one partner comes up missing and were never able to find it again. What happened to the missing sock?

My hypothesis is this. During the drying sequence the combination of heat and centripetal force cause a dimensional portal to open. A sock, seeing it's opportunity to escape its pedicular predicament leaps through the dimensional portal and escapes.

My evidence? Ever been walking down the road and seen a dirty, muddy old crusty sock laying in the middle of the road? That's one that didn't make it.

The UTCX 48093?

A classic. I'm putting this in my special folder.
That's just a car. Put it in there, but I'm still wondering what happened to the cabooses? Where are the cabooses? I implore you.

If somebody knew what happened to the cabooses, they could probably make a nuclear weapon out of two banana peels and a piece of lettuce.

That reminds me of a pet hypothesis I have. It's called the missing sock hypothesis. Now we've all have had this happen. We get done doing our laundry and we go to match up all our socks and invariably one partner comes up missing and were never able to find it again. What happened to the missing sock?

My hypothesis is this. During the drying sequence the combination of heat and centripetal force cause a dimensional portal to open. A sock, seeing it's opportunity to escape its pedicular predicament leaps through the dimensional portal and escapes.

My evidence? Ever been walking down the road and seen a dirty, muddy old crusty sock laying in the middle of the road? That's one that didn't make it.
I think they just got a good attorney and divorced themselves of their mate. I think I'll write a book about it, entitled: The active Social Lives of the Average Sock.

That's just a car. Put it in there, but I'm still wondering what happened to the cabooses? Where are the cabooses? I implore you.

If somebody knew what happened to the cabooses, they could probably make a nuclear weapon out of two banana peels and a piece of lettuce.

I can't believe how sad i am getting. I know what a caboose is but looked it up on wiki because we didn't have anything called a caboose and i can't remember anything like it on our trains.

Apparently we had 'brake vans', which is frankly not good enough. I can't really remember those either.

In summary, i haven't a clue where your cabooses went but i encourage you to keep on looking.

The dissapearance of cabooses is closely linked to the railroad unions loss of power.

Trains haul a lot of ammonium nitrate.

I know what happened to the cabooses. I come from a long line of rail roaders. My great, great grandfather, great grandfather, grandfather worked most their adult lives for the RR. My father worked for the Rock Island Line when he was a grad student too.

Cabooses on cargo trains went the way of the dinosaurs when modern sattelite telecomunications came into play. In times past the Caboose served as the mobile office of the trains conductor. Each conductor was assigned their own caboose and the conductor would have his caboose attached to the end of any train that he was assigned to. The Conductor is the head honcho on a moving train (most people think it's the engineer who is actually second in command). His job is to manage all personnel, passengers, cargo and the logistics of the train. He keeps track of the trains route, what cars are added or dropped or switched during transit and all other logistical responsibilities. With modern telecommunications that function no longer was needed on the cargo trains as it could be done remotely and communicated to the trains crew and so they were dispensed with. Cabooses are now only used on passenger trains (not including subway trains) which there aren't a whole lot of any more in the USA but if you are on the east coast and you see an Amtrack passenger train go by, you will notice that it will have a caboose.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, that's a hypothesis and not a theory. It does beggar this question though, how is your hypothesis testable?

it's very testable. ask anybody that knows something about trains if they know about bombs. 100% of the time, you will see the correlation.

it does indeed. But I'm talking mostly of the type of person that knows about steam engines, and maybe has a model train somewhere in his house.
1. The only adult I've known with a train set in his basement- one of those deals where it goes all around on the walls and shit, HO scale with green fuzz for grass and fake trees and shit. He was not the bomb type- in fact was scared shitless of firecrackers.
2. My Dad helped develop missiles for the Army Air Corps during the Korean War, and was an observer during an atom bomb test, so I guess he knows something about bombs. He bought my older brother a Lionel train set when he was a kid but beyond building a plywood table with a hole in it I never saw him do anything with it.
3. I know how steam engines work as well as many other types but I couldn't tell you how to build a bomb.
4. My son knows how to build bombs out of stuff we buy at Lowes including "multi-stage" bombs (whatever that is) but has never played with trains and isn't interested in steam engines or tinkering with his car.

*shrug*

Back