Grinds topic of the day: herb gardens (e.g. basil)

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
My new goal is to have one new topic about some random thing each day, until I inevitably lose interest in doing this. Todays topic is herb gardens

what are everyones thoughts on herb gardens? I'm talking something small and manageable. Is it worth it? How long does it take stuff to grow and do you get enough? Or is it like you pluck some leaves and that's it. Basil, rosemary, thyme etc. Also, peppers. How many habeneros can you grow. Is it one and done?

I've always thought growing your own weed was a good idea.
It's economical and you'll never run out.
Someone could rat you out, that's a downside if you live in a prohibition State.

My new goal is to have one new topic about some random thing each day, until I inevitably lose interest in doing this. Todays topic is herb gardens

what are everyones thoughts on herb gardens? I'm talking something small and manageable. Is it worth it? How long does it take stuff to grow and do you get enough? Or is it like you pluck some leaves and that's it. Basil, rosemary, thyme etc. Also, peppers. How many habeneros can you grow. Is it one and done?

Super easy to do dude. You can do it in pots on your balcony or in a small plot in your back yard.

Someone could rat you out, that's a downside if you live in a prohibition State.

Ratting you out is the least of your problems. Some jerk stealing your plants just as they're approaching peak potency is.

You know...this is a pretty innocuous topic....let's start a flame war! :)

Asshole!

I built an herb garden in our teeny tiny urban backyard when we lived in STL. (see pic) Grow what you'll eat. Herbs are generally super unfussy and don't need a lot of fertilizer. Just sun and water. I built this one with bricks to keep them separated because some of the perennial herbs will spread and take over. I planted sage (p), chives (p), German thyme (p), oregano (p), basil (annual), and dill (annual). Watch out for mint, it's super invasive! If you want to dry them to save pick them before they flower, early in the morning. I save those brown paper bags they put your wine in. Put the stems/leaves in those and set them in a dry dark place to cure. If you want fresh leaves for something you're making just pick them as you need them. Rosemary is my absolute favorite herb to grow. It's not hardy though unless maybe in California or Texas or Florida. Mine is in a huge pot that we lug in every fall and put back outside in the summer. I've had it since 1998.

Peppers are an annual. They like lots of heat, water, and fertilizer. You can grow them in pots, one plant per. If you keep picking them they'll keep producing but eventually they conk out because annual. Hope this helps.

Herb garden:
dcVAHQV.jpg

Rosemary in winter bloom:
yFa2Lc1.jpg

I built an herb garden in our teeny tiny urban backyard when we lived in STL. (see pic) Grow what you'll eat. Herbs are generally super unfussy and don't need a lot of fertilizer. Just sun and water. I built this one with bricks to keep them separated because some of the perennial herbs will spread and take over. I planted sage (p), chives (p), German thyme (p), oregano (p), basil (annual), and dill (annual). Watch out for mint, it's super invasive! If you want to dry them to save pick them before they flower, early in the morning. I save those brown paper bags they put your wine in. Put the stems/leaves in those and set them in a dry dark place to cure. If you want fresh leaves for something you're making just pick them as you need them. Rosemary is my absolute favorite herb to grow. It's not hardy though unless maybe in California or Texas or Florida. Mine is in a huge pot that we lug in every fall and put back outside in the summer. I've had it since 1998.

Peppers are an annual. They like lots of heat, water, and fertilizer. You can grow them in pots, one plant per. If you keep picking them they'll keep producing but eventually they conk out because annual. Hope this helps.

Herb garden:
dcVAHQV.jpg

Rosemary in winter bloom:
yFa2Lc1.jpg

Why isn't the "H" in herb pronounced? Don't you just fucking hate soft consonants?

Back