H.L. Mencken: "there is nothing notably dignified about religious ideas."

BidenPresident

Verified User
The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected. Its evil effects must be plain enough to everyone. All it accomplishes is (a) to throw a veil of sanctity about ideas that violate every intellectual decency, and (b) to make every theologian a sort of chartered libertine. No doubt it is mainly to blame for the appalling slowness with which really sound notions make their way in the world....(Baltimore Sun, 1929)

https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2006/08/could_mencken_w.html

The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected. Its evil effects must be plain enough to everyone. All it accomplishes is (a) to throw a veil of sanctity about ideas that violate every intellectual decency, and (b) to make every theologian a sort of chartered libertine. No doubt it is mainly to blame for the appalling slowness with which really sound notions make their way in the world....(Baltimore Sun, 1929)

More of that Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom drug trafficking enforcement not so master race condescending arrogance of this Christian Nation SCOTUS Rehnquist Federal Lynching of a Washington, D.C. born USA citizen as Islam certainly makes their Islamidiotocracy of Christiananality pedophilia such a master plan to put on a patriot act as the soul of the nation in some "serve the Pope or die" as Islam "death to the infidels" business law of Nazi economics result of a 9/11 Freudian slip national religion.

Every step in human progress, from the first feeble stirrings in the abyss of time, has been opposed by the great majority of men. Every valuable thing that has been added to the store of man's possessions has been derided by them when it was new, and destroyed by them when they had the power. They have fought every new truth ever heard of, and they have killed every truth-seeker who got into their hands.

Every step in human progress, from the first feeble stirrings in the abyss of time, has been opposed by the great majority of men. Every valuable thing that has been added to the store of man's possessions has been derided by them when it was new, and destroyed by them when they had the power. They have fought every new truth ever heard of, and they have killed every truth-seeker who got into their hands.

A just look at the mass levels of repression now imposed by the totalitarian regime which runs America, and I dont mean just the government.

Speak "wrong" ideas and you will be hurt.....we are back to this shit....civilization is in retrograde.

Nietzsche. Will to Power

4 (June 10, 1887)

What were the advantages of the Christian moral hypothesis?

1. It granted man an absolute value, as opposed to his smallness and accidental occurrence in the flux of becoming and passing away.
2. It served the advocates of God insofar as it conceded to the world, in spite of suffering and evil, the character of perfection—including “freedom” : evil appeared full of meaning.
3. It posited that man had a knowledge of absolute values and thus adequate knowledge precisely regarding what is most important,
4. It prevented man from despising himself as man, from taking sides against life; from despairing of knowledge: it was a means of preservation. In sum: morality was the great antidote against practical and theoretical nihilism.

https://ia803205.us.archive.org/27/...r/Friedrich Nietzsche - The Will to Power.pdf

Hurr durr derpy why do authiests prolozize!>?!> The OP isn't preaching anything. You did.

good job......you've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a stupid fuck......now, got an answer to why its always the atheists who start threads complaining about people pushing their beliefs about religion on others?.......

good job......you've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a stupid fuck......now, got an answer to why its always the atheists who start threads complaining about people pushing their beliefs about religion on others?.......

How was he complaining about religion? He merely said that the religious opinions should be respected.

A just look at the mass levels of repression now imposed by the totalitarian regime which runs America, and I dont mean just the government.

Totalitarian?
How is your religious freedom repressed?
Your right to work where you choose or quit and move someplace else?
Your political beliefs and actions?

I'm not repressed at all, but then I don't like to play the oppressed victim of other forces.

Totalitarian?
How is your religious freedom repressed?
Your right to work where you choose or quit and move someplace else?
Your political beliefs and actions?

I'm not repressed at all, but then I don't like to play the oppressed victim of other forces.

Those who say and claim to think as they are told are fine.

I am not.

Back