Happy Independence Day!

Today, i will mostly be facing in a westerly direction and shaking my fist angrily, in a mild demonstration of historical dissent.

Still, i hope you all enjoy doing your celebrating bidness and such.

Today, i will mostly be facing in a westerly direction and shaking my fist angrily, in a mild demonstration of historical dissent.

remember to stop the fist shaking while you drink the pint, you don't want to be spilling any.

Have a great day celebrating our freedom!

What's everyone planning to do?

hanging out in the house with the swamp cooler going. Too hot to even go see the fireworks at the local fairgrounds. Too hot to have anyone over for food even! But we'll have burgers and fries and toast the good old USA.

We're a "dry" county when it comes to fireworks - they're banned because of fire danger. No biggie for me; if I want to see them I can go watch the show. Just hope no one starts a fire if they are shooting them off illegally.

Hope everyone has a safe holiday! I'm back at work tomorrow, but won't be too busy.

Today in the UK is celebrated as firstly " the day we decided to keep India day" and my oldest lads birthday!

http://reason.com/archives/2013/07/04/a-not-so-happy-fourth-of-july

Do you have more personal liberty today than on the Fourth of July 2012?

When Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, he used language that has become iconic. He wrote that we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, and among them are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not only did he write those words, but the first Congress adopted them unanimously, and they are still the law of the land today. By acknowledging that our rights are inalienable, Jefferson's words and the first federal statute recognize that our rights come from our humanity -- from within us -- and not from the government.

The government the Framers gave us was not one that had the power and ability to decide how much freedom each of us should have, but rather one in which we individually and then collectively decided how much power the government should have. That, of course, is also recognized in the Declaration, wherein Jefferson wrote that the government derives its powers from the consent of the governed.

To what governmental powers may the governed morally consent in a free society? We can consent to the powers necessary to protect us from force and fraud, and to the means of revenue to pay for a government to exercise those powers. But no one can consent to the diminution of anyone else's natural rights, because, as Jefferson wrote and the Congress enacted, they are inalienable.

Just as I cannot morally consent to give the government the power to take your freedom of speech or travel or privacy, you cannot consent to give the government the power to take mine.

I knew I should have banned STY from this thread...

Just snuck two nathan's hot dogs into the hospital for the hubby. This afternoon I've got a few friends coming over to cook out.

Just snuck two nathan's hot dogs into the hospital for the hubby. This afternoon I've got a few friends coming over to cook out.

Just asked the husband if he wanted the burgers for lunch or for dinner... he said "yes"... so we'll be having them twice today, looks like!

Lovely restful day.

In celebration of our freedom, can we all just ignore STY and the other America haters on this forum today? Like USF, ILA, Patriot66, 007, pimp, Sf and RacistX?

hanging out in the house with the swamp cooler going. Too hot to even go see the fireworks at the local fairgrounds. Too hot to have anyone over for food even! But we'll have burgers and fries and toast the good old USA.

We're a "dry" county when it comes to fireworks - they're banned because of fire danger. No biggie for me; if I want to see them I can go watch the show. Just hope no one starts a fire if they are shooting them off illegally.

Hope everyone has a safe holiday! I'm back at work tomorrow, but won't be too busy.

It is raining here, but we need rain in the interior, big forrest fire near Fairbanks.

My husband gets home from the North Slope and we have been invited over to friends for a BBQ.

I thought about going to the parade, but with the grands in Canada, it isn't the same.

Thanks charver, I feel honored by your dissent, lol. I will ingest something red, white and blue in your honor!

It is raining here, but we need rain in the interior, big forrest fire near Fairbanks.

My husband gets home from the North Slope and we have been invited over to friends for a BBQ.

I thought about going to the parade, but with the grands in Canada, it isn't the same.

Would love some rain, but it just doesn't happen here in the summer... but at least we're not getting dry lightening!

Yea on husband getting home and yea on getting together with friends!

Yes, Howey, we're ignoring the off-topic posts.

How's the food prep going at your place?

Devilled eggs made. My world famous tater salad made. Nathans dogs ready to go. Baked beans simmering. Wine and yummy blackberry brandy chillin. Jb got me a Chairbroil commercial grill with infrared (fucking rawks!) for my birthday. Told me to not worry about him and have fun.

Back