Happy New Year everyone!

Can you resend that e-mail? I think I deleted it from the server accidentally from my phone before I read it at home.

Can you resend that e-mail? I think I deleted it from the server accidentally from my phone before I read it at home.

OK, will do. The pic posted above is his ribbon count after the latest trials. The one I sent you was after the trials in mid-December when we got four plus our Novice title in the Standard class. It's not going to be so easy any more. We're now out of rank beginner status and showing with people who know what they're doing, and a lot more of them too. :) That's fine, he just loves to play. I'm beginning to realize for sure that this is the best thing I could have done for him, well for both of us together, and to think I just started it because I thought he might like it as play in the back yard.

I'd love to see my huge Doofenshmurtz give it a try. He'd fit a paw on that teeter-totter, maybe.

I'd love to see my huge Doofenshmurtz give it a try. He'd fit a paw on that teeter-totter, maybe.

He'd probably love it. A lot of it is the attention and praise, not to mention all the treats. Even Rory loves to jump, though he celebrates for several minutes after he does it. :p The teeter is 12" wide. Even my friend's huge Bouvier makes it across. Nobody had a Rottie at the trial this time, but there were a few big Dobermans.

You could start getting him used to moving surfaces by making a 36" square of plywood (I used 3/4" thick, and you said he's a big guy so I wouldn't go smaller!). Paint it to minimize splintering. On the bottom, staple a solid (rubber) ball encased in an old sock right in the middle, then turn the board over so it will wobble with the ball underneath. Place him on a corner of the surface and get him to move around the edge adjacent side. Be with him so he feels protected; this wobbly surface will be disconcerting -- probably -- my guys never noticed it! Praise and treat him. Repeat this a couple of times. Don't press it if he's uncomfortable, but go back to it the next day or so. The idea is so that he'll feel safe and unthreatened by the movement and apparent instability. This prepares him for the teeter, one of Barley's favorite obstacles.

Back