Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
What are you cooking/drinking to celebrate?

I’m having a landscaper over to advise us on our yard.

We don’t go out. I’m going to cook a brisket and root veggies for the hubby, but I abstaining from them right now!

We don’t go out. I’m going to cook a brisket and root veggies for the hubby, but I abstaining from them right now!

Thank you for the holiday greetings! I believe bangers and mash might be on the menu here!

No brisket? That's criminal!

Made the corned beef & cabbage last night in the Instant Pot. We both decided it was the best one we ever had. Tip: Use beer for part of your liquid!

Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage

Hooray, it’s March! And you know what that means. It’s almost St. Patrick’s day! Time to go hunting for leprechauns and see if you can snag yourself a pot of gold! Me, I’ve never caught one, but I don’t mind. I’ve already got a pot full of something magical in my kitchen: corned beef and cabbage. This hearty Irish dish is so good, with the salty, garlicky beef lending its flavor to all the veggies in the pot.

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2017/03/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage.html

Cornedbeefdinner1_250x250@2x.jpg

No brisket? That's criminal!

Made the corned beef & cabbage last night in the Instant Pot. We both decided it was the best one we ever had. Tip: Use beer for part of your liquid!

We are doing the same thing here today, does the beer go in the Pot or the Cook? We'll do both to be safe...;)

Thanks for remembering. (where's that Rat, Primavera, on this?)

Remind me again, what percentage are you Irish? Is it more than Liarwatha is Indian? I went out to an Irish pub last night, had colcannon, chips, mushy peas and cauliflower washed down with draught black Guinness. None of that green shit you plastic Paddies drink!

He wasn't even Irish being born in Britain with a Roman father.

Patrick was born in Britain of a Romanised family. At age 16 he was torn by Irish raiders from the villa of his father, Calpurnius, a deacon and minor local official, and carried into slavery in Ireland. He spent six bleak years there as a herdsman, during which he turned with fervour to his faith. Upon dreaming that the ship in which he was to escape was ready, he fled his master and found passage to Britain. There he came near to starvation and suffered a second brief captivity before he was reunited with his family. Thereafter, he may have paid a short visit to the Continent.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Saint-Patrick

Last edited:
This was nice. My woman got some homemade corned beef from Stewarts Meat in Yelm...old fashioned all the way with really good products with a lot of stuff that they do themselves, to include exotic meats. She hates Corned beef so I rarely have it, she got it as a surprise. I souped it up with extra spices and did cabbage and whatnot.

I have a bottle of Guiness which I am saving for tomorrow, and I almost never drink beer now, both because I am tired of it and because of the carbs...plus I am not currently drinking much because of my blood sugar is bad because I was a very bad boy most of last year.

I hope that everyone had a good one.....an Irish Pub is one of the first things I am doing when I go to a Restaurants again...my last time in a restaurant was Dec 2019, a place that was supposed to be great, my daughter was treating me...and it sucked.

I have missed restaurants and bars, but not as much as I thought I would, and Seattle is decaying rapidly...I just dont know.

Had kosher corned beef along with cabbage and boiled potato's

Corned beef and cabbage did not come from Ireland. History.com explains how the dish originated in New York, when Irish immigrants often lived in the same neighborhoods as Jewish newcomers.

The Jewish population in New York City at the time were relatively new immigrants from Eastern and Central Europe. The corned beef they made was from brisket, a kosher cut of meat from the front of the cow. Since brisket is a tougher cut, the salting and cooking processes transformed the meat into the extremely tender, flavorful corned beef we know of today.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-corned-beef-really-irish-2839144/

Last edited:
I achieved a lifetime ambition in 2019. It was my dream to have a pint of Guinness in Dempsey's Bar and watch the St Patricks Day parade in New York. I was in a daze as I walked into Dempsey's. I had to pinch myself. To top it all the Empire State Building was across the road. This was a surreal event. I remember saying to this American family.. who is that tall guy leading the parade - the woman said - "Thats Mayor De Blazio"!!!
There are more Irish people in New York than in the whole of Ireland and apparently (so I was told) 2 million people were in New York for the parade, throughout the day. We stood there from 11 am until 4 pm the parade was still taking place.
It was the best day of my life. So far. Sadly I look at Nw York today and see such unity and pride wiped out, possibly forever.

Currently eating the tail ends...a corned beef and swiss on dark rye....grilled in cast iron with Danish butter.

Cooking?

My Irish side is currently fasting on a liquid diet. ;)

Back