How I Became a Libertarian

A few years ago, several LewRockwell.com writers exposed themselves to the public, telling the stories of their journeys toward libertarian thinking. Mary Ruwart, Walter Block, Stephan Kinsella, Karen De Coster, and others wrote their autobiographies around December, 2002. Sometimes I'm a little slow keeping track of the interoffice memos.

Perhaps that's fitting; I came to libertarianism later in life than most. I grew up in a conservative household, and was a typical under-informed Reagan Republican while in college in the 1980s and 1990s. That changed around 1999, when I discovered Neal Boortz on the radio.

Neal opened my eyes to libertarian thought when he asked the simple question, "Who owns your body?" He explained that if the government can kick down my door, point guns at me, cuff me and drag me away to jail, for sitting peacefully at home injecting dangerous recreational drugs into my own body, then that government in effect owns my body; not me. The basic injustice of that struck me. It was simple, correct, and compelling – something I should've recognized on my own years before.

The first few paragraphs of the story...

I don't consider Neal Boortz a real libertarian. He may hold some libertarian opinons (hell, so do I), but he loves the Iraq War, and is a promoter of an aggressive, interventionist US foreign policy: More akin to Woodrow Wilson, I would say.

I don't consider Neal Boortz a real libertarian. He may hold some libertarian opinons (hell, so do I), but he loves the Iraq War, and is a promoter of an aggressive, interventionist US foreign policy: More akin to Woodrow Wilson, I would say.

The Libertarians I've known from the old board, disliked Bootz intensely and did not even consider him a Libertarian. I remember Gene in particular calling him a phony.

This explains however, why I have such a hard time considering Damo a Libertarian and not a Republican.

The Libertarians I've known from the old board, disliked Bootz intensely and did not even consider him a Libertarian. I remember Gene in particular calling him a phony.

This explains however, why I have such a hard time considering Damo a Libertarian and not a Republican.
I consider myself "Conservative Libertarian" and am registered as a Republican. I am a RLC republican.

I do not, however, have a hard on for the war like Bootz does. I have consistently been against undeclared war and find that every war fought under the War Powers Act has been a boondoggle of a mess. I believe that the War Declaration was a protection that has been circumvented by this law. I also believe that if the President was required to ask for a declaration that we would not be in Iraq as the Congress would have no way to avoid the fact of what they are voting for. No pretenses of, "I thought I was giving him a big stick to force him to move, not actually voting for war!" whining garbage.

Congress would have no way to avoid the fact of what they are voting for. No pretenses of, "I thought I was giving him a big stick to force him to move, not actually voting for war!" whining garbage.
//

Agreed, but that was the way Bush sold the situation.

Congress would have no way to avoid the fact of what they are voting for. No pretenses of, "I thought I was giving him a big stick to force him to move, not actually voting for war!" whining garbage.
//

Agreed, but that was the way Bush sold the situation.
My point is, there would be no selling. There would be direct Declare/Not Declare, thus the US would be protected from such inanities. It's easier to pretend you didn't know it was a war vote after the fact as long as we allow an end run on our protections.

Damo, what are the traits that make you conservative?

Are you socially conservative?

Are you a golden ager?

Damo, what are the traits that make you conservative?

Are you socially conservative?

Are you a golden ager?
I am strongly fiscally conservative and believe that the government is not the best place for most solutions. I am also Constitutionally Conservative and do not believe, other than the Amendment Process, that the Constitution is a "living document" subject to change at whim.

I am strongly fiscally conservative and believe that the government is not the best place for most solutions. I am also Constitutionally Conservative and do not believe, other than the Amendment Process, that the Constitution is a "living document" subject to change at whim.

Wouldn't these be traits that also fit into the Libertarian ethos?

Wouldn't these be traits that also fit into the Libertarian ethos?
Of course. However they are not traits that fit into a Liberal ethos.

However they are not traits that fit into a Liberal ethos.

So, what makes you a conservative rather than singularly a libertarian?

However they are not traits that fit into a Liberal ethos.

So, what makes you a conservative rather than singularly a libertarian?
Libertarians also fall within those two groups. Hence you get a DLC and an RLC...

Some Libertarians feel that the freedom of the individual is important and place a less importance on the Fiscal side of Libertarians. Some, like me, find both to be quite important. Others find only the Fiscal side important and leave the Social values behind. There are a good mix of people within that Party.

You know, Damo, I'm not a libertarian anymore.

Is the individual atonomity that comes from being able to withold funds that would feed a starving man more important than the fact that the man is starving?

And can certain drugs simply be TOO much of a messing with the human mind, that they are incapable of making rational decisions about them whenever on them, and therefore should simply be prevented by whatever means necessary, although the normal punishments are someewhat too blunt?

I'm a moderate left-libertarian, I guess. Although whenever people ask me my political affiliation I'm hesitant to say either liberal or libertarian.

You know, Damo, I'm not a libertarian anymore.

Is the individual atonomity that comes from being able to withold funds that would feed a starving man more important than the fact that the man is starving?

And can certain drugs simply be TOO much of a messing with the human mind, that they are incapable of making rational decisions about them whenever on them, and therefore should simply be prevented by whatever means necessary, although the normal punishments are someewhat too blunt?
See? This is what I mean. There are many differences in those who are Libertarian. Watermark here would probably be very comfortable as a DLC member.

Although whenever people ask me my political affiliation I'm hesitant to say either liberal or libertarian.

I don't neatly fit into any catergory anyway.

I'm Neitzschean yet Social Democrat, I recognise the truth of 'survival of the fittest' yet am a liberal.

What are the identifying criteria for a conservative?

What do you need to believe in to be a conservative, that differentiates them from libertarians or liberals.

Because different cultures have different values conservatives in different nations have different goals.

In the US most Conservatives seek to restore or conserve the underlying libertarian values that seem inherent in the culture of the US. Of course they are mixed in with the Social Conservatives who seek to "restore a Christian core" that I am unsure really existed.

In the US most Conservatives seek to restore or conserve the underlying libertarian values that seem inherent in the culture of the US.

This is the 'golden ager' thing I refer to with reference to Cons. The desire to return to some, often mythical, age.

Classical conservatives such Cato desired a return to the 'founding of the Roman Republic' and so do US cons, a return to the mythical era at the founding of the American Republic when every man was able to live independently from others, from his own sweat, without social assistance.

The suffering this caused is often airbrushed out, as is the reality of existing in a society when most modes of production are already owned.

In this way, Cons can be described as regressive idealists..

Back