How to describe God.

Jarod

Contributor
I've been working on something and need some outside opinion.

I believe our language is seriously lacking in words and ability to describe God, it may be more than just language it is also likely a limitation on our brain's ability to truly comprehend it. How would you describe God? Do you use a personification, like calling God a "him"? Do you refer to God as if a person? When he comes? He is watching? He is judging? He will punish? He approves/disapproves?

Do you believe God is omnipresent? Omnipotent? Is this world divided by things that have Gods presence and things that do not?

God is. I Am.

A Being outside of space and time, and thus our perceptual awareness. Since all we know is space and time, we can hardly find a few words to sufficiently describe God.

In fact, the only words I can think of to describe things outside of space and time are God and aliases and a void, or lack of space and time. Sithis, if you will.

and it is a he, because God does protect his faithful. All but the most callous gods of man protect their faithful, with force. This is seen as a male attribute.

God is. I am.

A Being outside of space and time, and thus our perceptual awareness. Since all we know is space and time, we can hardly find a few words to sufficiently describe God.

In fact, the only words I can think of to describe things outside of space and time are God and aliases and a void, or lack of space and time. Sithis, if you will.

Yes, I have been working on this and when I started I agreed with you, but maybe we can get a word to describe this concept, and maybe it is imaginable just not easy to communicate because of the lack of words. We, humans in general have a difficult time thinking beyond language, at least once we are adults.

I believe in a omnipresent God, everything we see and know and think and do is a manifestation of God. Good and bad is simply a human judgement placed on action. In reality it all simply is.
I imagine a word that encompasses all that we know, and can imagine and all that we cant know or imagine, something to describe the infinant.

A baby thinks and conceptualizes, but has no language. Is it easier then for a baby to understand God? I think we can learn language without limiting ourselves to an ability to think beyond it. But lets expand language to these areas we can begin to conceptualize.

Im not sure that naming "God" was a good think, because it promotes the idea that God is a human.

My kids ask questions like, where is God? Is God a man or a woman? How tall is God? Where does God live?

When a new word is coined, or a new meaning conceptualized, it is first described consistently. You can make up words for anything, but you'd best describe them.

Look at any philosophical work. They contain plenty of new words, and new meaning to old words. Some books are singly an attempt to communicate a thought through a word, and then that word through the whole book.

Our language is inefficient.

And, of course, just as Shakespeare is always receiving a new coat of paint, So too does your word change. Language is typically living.

When a new word is coined, or a new meaning conceptualized, it is first described consistently. You can make up words for anything, but you'd best describe them.

Look at any philosophical work. They contain plenty of new words, and new meaning to old words. Some books are singly an attempt to communicate a thought through a word, and then that word through the whole book.

Our language is inefficient.

And, of course, just as Shakespeare is always receiving a new coat of paint, So too does your word change. Language is typically living.

Yes I agree, and thus necessary always behind culture/society's concepts. It takes a while for language to catch up, so something that is new to current thinking or something that has been lost in the past is hard to describe but that does not mean it does not exist.

Our language, especially around concepts like religion and spiritualism, is very archaic and can severely limit the ability to teach and discuss.

what is hard about describing GOD?

its an imaginary being designed by the human mind to explain things the human mind had no explanation for.

God if real is merely EVERYTHING that exists.

God=everything.

If you wish to use it to describe all in existence as god then that is the closest to reality.

when you pray you pray to everything to help you

You pray for everything to go well.

You pray for everything to be alright.

that is why mankind imagined up all gods and demons.

To explain why life was so very hard when you had no idea why it was so very hard.

Desh, need I remind you that Christianity was for quite a while the religion of the poor and oppressed?
The religion of discipline, hope, austerity, and comfort?

Don't be a fool, let's look past our emotions and into the past.

God was never there to grant your every whim, in this life or the next.

No wine rivers tended to by your wench whilst you bath in the shade on a golden throne. . .

what is hard about describing GOD?

its an imaginary being designed by the human mind to explain things the human mind had no explanation for.

God if real is merely EVERYTHING that exists.

God=everything.

If you wish to use it to describe all in existence as god then that is the closest to reality.

when you pray you pray to everything to help you

You pray for everything to go well.

You pray for everything to be alright.

that is why mankind imagined up all gods and demons.

To explain why life was so very hard when you had no idea why it was so very hard.

I think I would agree with you when you look at it from your view. To me its not as simple as saying God is "everything" because God is much more than that. God is everything and every-non-thing. To separate God and Demons prevents God from being "everything".

We humans are physical manifestations of God, having a "human" experience. We feel disconnected from the eternal when we see the physical world as all there is, but in reality we are part of a different more connected world that has created this physical world. If you see this physical world as all of it, from a human perspective... it can be very harsh and isolating. If you see God as a separate being from you and separate from the world, it can be harsh. If that's what you see then there is no purpose and suffering is all you have.

God was never there to grant your every whim, in this life or the next.

No wine rivers tended to by your wench whilst you bath in the shade on a golden throne. . .

God does not "grant" things or "withhold" things. If we are not separate from God, how could we be granted anything from God.

I think I would agree with you when you look at it from your view. To me its not as simple as saying God is "everything" because God is much more than that. God is everything and every-non-thing. To separate God and Demons prevents God from being "everything".

We humans are physical manifestations of God, having a "human" experience. We feel disconnected from the eternal when we see the physical world as all there is, but in reality we are part of a different more connected world that has created this physical world. If you see this physical world as all of it, from a human perspective... it can be very harsh and isolating. If you see God as a separate being from you and separate from the world, it can be harsh. If that's what you see then there is no purpose and suffering is all you have.

I don't believe in demons so that was just about how the human brain created creatures unseen and in power.

The human brain is very complex.

The human brain developed the size it did due to the need to emotionally connect to your pack members.

there was safety in numbers and as the human brain perfected it did so completely centered towards connection.

The need for a GOD ( whats the old line "if god didn't exist man would have created him") grew out of man needing to feel connected to other beings.

It was survival to be able to bond with others.

so you have a stage set for man to LOSE a very important member of the clan or tribe and to seek contact with that person.

Imagining they are still there and just out of site helping them.

Glug left them but some part of him is still out in the woods helping keeping them safe.

Glug gets talked about around the fire for the next three generations.

then in the passing years some never met Glug because they were not alive when Glug was alive.

in a mouth to mouth history glug becomes God

I don't believe in demons so that was just about how the human brain created creatures unseen and in power.

The human brain is very complex.

The human brain developed the size it did due to the need to emotionally connect to your pack members.

there was safety in numbers and as the human brain perfected it did so completely centered towards connection.

The need for a GOD ( whats the old line "if god didn't exist man would have created him") grew out of man needing to feel connected to other beings.

It was survival to be able to bond with others.

so you have a stage set for man to LOSE a very important member of the clan or tribe and to seek contact with that person.

Imagining they are still there and just out of site helping them.

Glug left them but some part of him is still out in the woods helping keeping them safe.

Glug gets talked about around the fire for the next three generations.

then in the passing years some never met Glug because they were not alive when Glug was alive.

in a mouth to mouth history glug becomes God

I agree with your version if we were discussing a personified god, which is what many people believe in, but that is not the God I understand and believe in. The God I am talking about is not a human and does not specifically take a particular human form. God is everything, what we are a part of when we consider the part of us that is beyond this world. Our world is set up where we humans feel and appear to be separate from God and each other, in reality we are not separate from God or each other, all is one.

Back