Huey Long

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Prior to the great New Orleans flood, the Democratic Party was moribund and on the verge of extinction. The GOP was on the ascendancy, the economy was being fueled by debt and speculation. But, the piper hadn’t come to collect his due yet. The business of America was business. The reforms of Teddy Roosevelt seemed quaint; almost unnecessary. The unfettered free market would work its magic – everywhere.

Then the great floods of New Orleans hit. A city was devastated. The free market couldn’t rescue the city, or deal with the human dimension of the immediate aftermath. Black folks from New Orleans were shuttled out into atrocious refugee camps and temporary housing in rural parts of Louisiana. Conditions were inhumane. The magic of the free market was unable to help these people. The republican president asked a compliant media to keep the human disaster and (lack) of relief efforts hush-hush, until after the election.

The year was 1927.

The president was Herbert Hover. That was the year the levees broke in New Orleans. It was the tail end of the roaring 20s, a period of economic growth fueled by debt and speculation. That was the year of a paradigm shift, and the ascendancy of the Democratic Party, and the demise of the GOP.

Soon after the floods, a radical populist politician in Louisiana – Huey P. Long – took the reigns of power. In pre-1928 Louisiana, corporations wrote the laws, bought legislators to do their bidding, and threw around bribe money like it was Saturday afternoon at the horse track.

Instituting a progressive income tax, implementing massive public works projects to rebuild Louisiana and the City of New Orleans, and redistributing wealth by massively investing in education and infrastructure. Long taxed Oil Company profits and used the revenue to pay for free text books for Louisiana school children. When the oil companies balked at paying their taxes, Long ordered the Louisiana National Guard to occupy the oil fields of the Delta. Unfettered lassaize faire capitalism had run its course, and Huey Long intended to reign in the Robber Barons.

Democratic politicians, like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, viewed Long with alarm. Trepidation. This radical paradigm shift seemed subversive; almost dangerous. But, within a couple short years, the republican malfeasance with regard to the 1927 floods, and the economic collapse due to debt and speculation, made the GOP radioactive. For the first time in history, African-Americans abandoned the GOP in support of populist Democratic policies and politicians. Long certainly was no Saint. A ruthless politicians, who sought to consolidate his power, nonetheless his radical reforms (in watered-down form) became the basis and patron saint of FDR’s New Deal.

The New Deal passed. America ultimately prospered and got rich. A large middle class was built.

Has Bush-ononmics and the unfettered lassaize faire capitalism theories of the 1980s to today run their course? Was the New Orleans flood of 2005 a harbinger and metaphor for a paradigm shift? Who knows. I found it interesting to note some of the parallels between the late 1920s, and today. Hat tip to Greg Palast’s book, for historical context and review.

Personal savings are at about the same level as the great depression era. Stock market booming for no apparent reason, etc....
Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it. But I will wait for spin to come anong and tell me everything is fine ....

Prior to the great New Orleans flood, the Democratic Party was moribund and on the verge of extinction. The GOP was on the ascendancy, the economy was being fueled by debt and speculation. But, the piper hadn’t come to collect his due yet. The business of America was business. The reforms of Teddy Roosevelt seemed quaint; almost unnecessary. The unfettered free market would work its magic – everywhere.

Then the great floods of New Orleans hit. A city was devastated. The free market couldn’t rescue the city, or deal with the human dimension of the immediate aftermath. Black folks from New Orleans were shuttled out into atrocious refugee camps and temporary housing in rural parts of Louisiana. Conditions were inhumane. The magic of the free market was unable to help these people. The republican president asked a compliant media to keep the human disaster and (lack) of relief efforts hush-hush, until after the election.

The year was 1927.

The president was Herbert Hover. That was the year the levees broke in New Orleans. It was the tail end of the roaring 20s, a period of economic growth fueled by debt and speculation. That was the year of a paradigm shift, and the ascendancy of the Democratic Party, and the demise of the GOP.

Soon after the floods, a radical populist politician in Louisiana – Huey P. Long – took the reigns of power. In pre-1928 Louisiana, corporations wrote the laws, bought legislators to do their bidding, and threw around bribe money like it was Saturday afternoon at the horse track.

Instituting a progressive income tax, implementing massive public works projects to rebuild Louisiana and the City of New Orleans, and redistributing wealth by massively investing in education and infrastructure. Long taxed Oil Company profits and used the revenue to pay for free text books for Louisiana school children. When the oil companies balked at paying their taxes, Long ordered the Louisiana National Guard to occupy the oil fields of the Delta. Unfettered lassaize faire capitalism had run its course, and Huey Long intended to reign in the Robber Barons.

Democratic politicians, like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, viewed Long with alarm. Trepidation. This radical paradigm shift seemed subversive; almost dangerous. But, within a couple short years, the republican malfeasance with regard to the 1927 floods, and the economic collapse due to debt and speculation, made the GOP radioactive. For the first time in history, African-Americans abandoned the GOP in support of populist Democratic policies and politicians. Long certainly was no Saint. A ruthless politicians, who sought to consolidate his power, nonetheless his radical reforms (in watered-down form) became the basis and patron saint of FDR’s New Deal.

The New Deal passed. America ultimately prospered and got rich. A large middle class was built.

Has Bush-ononmics and the unfettered lassaize faire capitalism theories of the 1980s to today run their course? Was the New Orleans flood of 2005 a harbinger and metaphor for a paradigm shift? Who knows. I found it interesting to note some of the parallels between the late 1920s, and today. Hat tip to Greg Palast’s book, for historical context and review.

I don't know. The issues of race and poverty were dropped really quickly after Katrina. I was shocked at how quickly. So was David Brooks, who took to flogging himself publically in his column. And then, it was as if he looked around, realized "hey, we're going to get away with this, so shutup man", and then he stopped talking about it too.

Darla, do you think any paradigm shift in our political system is going to come directly from racial issues? I'm interested to know what you think.

Because, I don't think they will. I think they will come from economic issues. As the assualt on the middle class and working class continue. And it's true that populist economic policies benefit a lot of african americans - but I don't think that a sea-change in the political system will come from issues of race.

Darla, do you think any paradigm shift in our political system is going to come directly from racial issues? I'm interested to know what you think.

Because, I don't think they will. I think they will come from economic issues. As the assualt on the middle class and working class continue. And it's true that populist economic policies benefit a lot of african americans - but I don't think that a sea-change in the political system will come from issues of race.

No. Never.

But I did think seeing ourselves exposed that way, looking like a third world nation unable to take care of our own, would cause some lasting shame, and enable some poverty initiatives. But we shook it off fast.

I agree, it will be the middle class as they continue to feel unstable and get squeezed out of health insurance, and the working class who will cause the shift, if we have one. Which I think it's inevitable that we will.

The year was 1927.

Are you serious? Are you trying to justify one of the biggest demoagogues of the 20th century?

His "share the wealth" plan was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First of all, if you had a 100% tax on income over 1 million dollars, no one would pay themselves over 1 million dollars, or else they'd move out of country. So you'd lose all of the income from people who make over 1 million, basically. Which probably makes up a majority of federal income. And he wanted to finance a GMI of 2000 a year (in the 30's) in the middle of an economic depression with about half of the budget gone? He was delusional.

Also, there's this nasty little tidbit from his brother as advice to the demagogue:

Don't write anything you can phone. Don't phone anything you can talk. Don't talk anything you can whisper. Don't whisper anything you can smile. Don't smile anything you can nod. Don't nod anything you can wink.
Earl Long

Are you serious? Are you trying to justify one of the biggest demoagogues of the 20th century?

His "share the wealth" plan was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First of all, if you had a 100% tax on income over 1 million dollars, no one would pay themselves over 1 million dollars, or else they'd move out of country. So you'd lose all of the income from people who make over 1 million, basically. Which probably makes up a majority of federal income. And he wanted to finance a GMI of 2000 a year (in the 30's) in the middle of an economic depression with about half of the budget gone? He was delusional.

Also, there's this nasty little tidbit from his brother as advice to the demagogue:

Don't write anything you can phone. Don't phone anything you can talk. Don't talk anything you can whisper. Don't whisper anything you can smile. Don't smile anything you can nod. Don't nod anything you can wink.
Earl Long

Yeah, that made me laugh a little bit as well. This idea that we may return to a time when when 50% - 70% of the private sector was unionized and we didn't have global competition like we do today is just not reality.

Even the idea that Palast claims we've had unfettered laizze-faire capitalism is humorous. Yes, we have opened up more markets and privitized previously government run sectors but we are still far from unfettered free markets.

Yeah, that made me laugh a little bit as well. This idea that we may return to a time when when 50% - 70% of the private sector was unionized and we didn't have global competition like we do today is just not reality.

Even the idea that Palast claims we've had unfettered laizze-faire capitalism is humorous. Yes, we have opened up more markets and privitized previously government run sectors but we are still far from unfettered free markets.

Not too far if those in charge right now have their ways.

And the market should be fair as well as free and that my dear friends is where the USA sins big time!

Not too far if those in charge right now have their ways.

And the market should be fair as well as free and that my dear friends is where the USA sins big time!
Subsidized markets are not free markets. That is where the US fails.

Pretty grand. If you even entertain the idea that the 1980's were unfestered lassaize faire, or that lassaize fair "theories" from 20 years ago define the political climate as of today, I have to question your motives.

And as for Huey Long, are you familiar with him? Very interesting story. He was one of the most cunning and corrupt politicians in American History. He was essentially running his own country down there. He was for sale, his constituents didnt' care, he completely disregarded the law, and he did well for it. Really interesting story.

cypress you must be a geo cause you ain't an economics man.
USC, you give me daily opportunities to teach you grasshopper. Savings rate went out in importance with the buggywhip. Net worth is the number for wealth and it's way up.

cypress you must be a geo cause you ain't an economics man.
USC, you give me daily opportunities to teach you grasshopper. Savings rate went out in importance with the buggywhip. Net worth is the number for wealth and it's way up.

Yep monday my net worth jumps by over 1/2 mil. :) closing is set! woohoo!
The money is handy and will allow me to retire. but wealth is not my goal. Just comfort and security.
But a gashopper like yourself would not understand that.

You are all missing the point here. Yes, we all know Long had some problems, thanks for the history redux, you are all brilliant! Not the point. The point is that after the flood, America was shamed, they were outraged, the system changed.

Not so after Katrina. If you had been reading David Brooks during the Katrina aftermath, you would see what I meant. He almost died. He knew the conservative ideology had just suffered a massive, though predictable, failure. His first two columns after Katrina were all filled with self-flagellation. He stated he was ashamed. He thought he knew what was coming: a progressive wave.

Suddenly, nothing. He looked around, realized that they were going to get away with this, and he dropped it. He wasn’t’ ashamed. He was ashamed of having been caught! But the American people surprised him. Once Katrina was off of their televisions, they forgot about it. There was no lasting outrage over the 1,000 deaths. But oh, if a terrorist had killed them! Brooks hadn’t realized something very fundamental about American society. This is not the 1920’s. If it’s not on your television, it’s not happening. Nobody cares.

People are still displaced in NO. They still have no homes, no insurance money, no jobs. Nobody cares! It's not on TV.

USC, you've bragged about your land barron status at nausium. It's comicle that you do a sophmoric slam on me for being THE investor class poster.:pke:

land investment is not like trading baseball cards like stock trading is.
And yep 25 acres in my farm and 20 acres or so in my investment property is being a land barron ? And you call yourself a finiancial advisor ?
I do also trade in "baseball cards" a bit. what the heck it is easy money :D
Still a twinge of guilt there for getting money for nothing though, but I can live with that :)

Last edited:
good thing you know land, 25 acres is alot if you buy it in a future demand spot. buying stocks is like trading cards if you don't know your head from your ass. It's a sweet science if you are educated in economics.:clink:

You don't have to be eudcated in economics, just know how to play the game.
Well it is working fine for me so far. And I am not eddicated.
Some don't have to read a book to understand it's contents.
How do you think the person that wrote the book figured it out ?

You are all missing the point here. Yes, we all know Long had some problems, thanks for the history redux, you are all brilliant! Not the point. The point is that after the flood, America was shamed, they were outraged, the system changed.

Not so after Katrina. If you had been reading David Brooks during the Katrina aftermath, you would see what I meant. He almost died. He knew the conservative ideology had just suffered a massive, though predictable, failure. His first two columns after Katrina were all filled with self-flagellation. He stated he was ashamed. He thought he knew what was coming: a progressive wave.

Suddenly, nothing. He looked around, realized that they were going to get away with this, and he dropped it. He wasn’t’ ashamed. He was ashamed of having been caught! But the American people surprised him. Once Katrina was off of their televisions, they forgot about it. There was no lasting outrage over the 1,000 deaths. But oh, if a terrorist had killed them! Brooks hadn’t realized something very fundamental about American society. This is not the 1920’s. If it’s not on your television, it’s not happening. Nobody cares.

People are still displaced in NO. They still have no homes, no insurance money, no jobs. Nobody cares! It's not on TV.

Darla, I live where Katrina hit. And I can honestly say nothing you're talking about is going on.

And I do promise you, if it were happening, it would be on my TV. If even the smallest problem goes awry with our social net the media in our area would moan and groan about it forever. The last time I can remember someone dying out alone was a year ago. He apparently didn't see the soup kitchen a block away...

Back